Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to finally post some pictures of the first part of our trip heading down to the Sport Classic rally in Santa Cruz this summer.

Andrey and I got pulled over for 90mph in a 65mph zone by two patrol cars. We were coming out of Toppenish Washington. And they got us on radar white traveling in the opposite direction. We thought we were done for… but it turned out that they were Ducati fans and let us go with a warning. They even snapped some photos for us :)

I guess they are not all bad,
Lee C.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Andrey and I got pulled over for 90mph in a 65mph zone by two patrol cars.
Were ya' doing a wheelie? That seemed to be a common sight from my vantage point!

I had a great time riding out there with you guys. Did a lot of stupid things, but it sure was fun. The cops that pulled Justin over (and almost me) weren't fans.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The cop on the left was a really nice guy and had driven the Nullabor Plain in Australia!.... one of THE drives to do in a lifetime so being from OZ myself we had something to talk about. The other guy was pretty keen on Ducatis... Anyway it was an excellent example of how policing should be done.... perfectly clear straight roads with no other cars around and we weren't doing 120 mph! so all in all they were sensible as well as being great to talk to.... we should have got their details and written a letter complimenting them.
As you can see from one shot I am NOT happy thinking we are going to get stung with a big ticket....I'm thinking "just get me out of here!"...... Lee on the other hand was having a great time! He's a crazy man, but great fun to ride with. What's the bet this is the last time we ever get off a ticket!

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
The cop on the left was a really nice guy and had driven the Nullabor Plain in Australia!.... one of THE drives to do in a lifetime so being from OZ myself we had something to talk about. The other guy was pretty keen on Ducatis... Anyway it was an excellent example of how policing should be done.... perfectly clear straight roads with no other cars around and we weren't doing 120 mph! so all in all they were sensible as well as being great to talk to.... we should have got their details and written a letter complimenting them.
As you can see from one shot I am NOT happy thinking we are going to get stung with a big ticket....I'm thinking "just get me out of here!"...... Lee on the other hand was having a great time! He's a crazy man, but great fun to ride with. What's the bet this is the last time we ever get off a ticket!
That would be an excellent idea to send them a letter of appreciation, obviously for not citing you, but one addressing their professionalism over an unrelated matter dealing with directions (get it?). It would be easy to track them down just by sending in the photograph to the Washington State Police because the Officer to the right of you appears to be a State Trooper while the Officer to your left is from a different agency. I would have pegged the white sedan behind you as the State Trooper's car and I would have thought the SUV belonged to other Officer. However, the license plate on the SUV is 1034WSP, the letters indicating the vehicle is with the Washington State Police. Oh well, no matter, sending in the photo will iron it out with your letter of commendation. Pinpointing the location will be helpful as well determining their identities. Police really appreciate "good guy" letters, it helps balance the bad, sometimes.

I had no such luck the night before last when I was written up for speeding for the first time in 40 years. Female CHP wrote me for 80 in a 65 in an area I've known for years as the most notorius stretch of road for State revenue collection. I/80 around the town of Auburn in California. Anyone from Nor Cal reading this will know exactly what I mean. That is one reason why I'm going to contest, I've said in the past that you have to be stupid to be cited there. However, thats assuming the Officer is ethical. After all the years of riding motorcycles, especially sport bikes, I've come to the conclusion profiling sport bikes is alive and well. We are not talking revelation here, I've known about it for years but I've more or less kept it to myself and dealt with it on a personal level, not based on hearsay. This incident was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I'm actually looking forward to contesting the citation, it might be a little embarrassing since I'm a retired Police Officer. Among a bunch of other tidbits, the fact she told me she was following me for five miles kind of pissed me off. Would she have done that if I was cruising down the highway in a car? By her saying I was riding for almost five miles without incident corroborates my statement regarding the manuever I made earlier. In other words, after going almost five miles with her on my ass I suddenly decided to speed out of the blue? There was a reason I did what I did, her mind drew a blank on that element, but she was very annoyed I couldn't tell her how fast I was going. I rarely depend on my faulty from the factory speedo anyway, we rely on other and more pressing conditions. But someone that doesn't ride wouldn't understand that.

Based on a couple sarcastic responses on her part; for example, I mentioned I went to her academy, she said, "so, so did I" and the fact she was obviously annoyed I wouldn't give her the answer she was pressing me numerous times for, this was a case where she thought I was dissing her by not saying the right word. Simple as that. She made it clear she was going to punish me since I was a retired police officer and that I should have known how fast I was going. I don't recall a law in the vehicle code that covers this. Just because she wears a badge and has been on X number of years doesn't mean jack. I wonder where some of them in fact get their badges, out of Cracker Jack Boxes I think.

I'm really looking forward to contesting this one, might be a little embarassing, but being subjected to profiling says something about judgement. I'm gonna have to explore a few other things, making it relevant to the case of speeding. Judgement issues can lead to doubt, thats the key.

Besides the above, I hope you guys had a good time in Santa Cruz. I've spent a lot of time there over the years. Also, both bikes are very cool.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Lee - Great pics. :cool: Reminder of a great time and some great riding. Makes checking .ms before work all that much more painful. :(

Yea - you got lucky, which is tre' cool. I...uh...did not.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
that was a great trip and i can't wait for next summer now!

it's all been said in other posts, but it was so cool to meet up with the folks i've been connecting with for so long on this forum.

good times, for sure...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Ah, man! I can close my eyes and see the beautiful roads of Marine Co. and Sonoma Co. and skyline, and the 20 to Anderson valley, and the cute hostess in that restaurant in Marine Co., and big sur bakery... and Alice's... and everyone's faces, all so stoked we did it!

[email protected], I want to go back.

I've had similar luck with the police in LA. They always comment on how cool the bike is and ask me 100 questions and then let me go with a warning...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ahh not fair can't wait till next year. This is as far as I got the first night of the trip!!!! :(

Edit: note unfortunate building I'm in front of..... wish it had just been cops!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Off topic...sorta...

Well I got pulled AGAIN this AM by the local po-po. F*cking A. Hoping I have paid whatever karmic debt I owed whoever is in charge of all of that. Thats five speeding tix in four months. I managed zero tix before then in about 12 years.

I can't drive 65. Seriously...lol.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
“five speeding tickets in four months”

Damm brother that is not good! Looks like your new ride is going to look like this:

Lee C.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts