Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else go through this?

WARMING THE BIKE UP IN THE GARAGE AT HOME THIS MORNING:
-Welp, glad it started.
-This motorcycle is getting really old.
-I smell a little residual oil burning somewhere. Or not.
-At this age maybe the riding position is getting to be a bit much.
-Maybe I should sell while it is still worth something.
-Oil galley plug.
-Hope it makes it to the office.

PUTTING SIDESTAND DOWN IN THE OFFICE PARKING GARAGE:
-Oh man, that was FANTASTIC. AND THAT SOUND! I am NEVER EVER SELLING THIS BIKE.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
............all except actually going to work.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Yes, every time I start it up I go through the same things.

I fact, when I decided I wanted to get a 900SS I was in touch with a seller on Craigs List. The day before I was supposed to go look at the bike (a 3 hour drive to Vashon Island) the seller sent me an email -

"I'm really sorry. I went out this morning to get it ready for you to look at, and when I got it started and heard it run, I remembered how much I love it. I really can't sell it."

I mean, really, a 900SS on Vashon Island, I really can't blame him, but boy was I disappointed.

Bought a local bike instead that took way too long to get road worthy after sitting for 4 years. Rode around on a fuel injected Thruxton and forgot how much of a PITA a 900SS with FCR's was until I sorted it out. It's still a PITA, but worth every effort when I pull it back in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they can certainly be a PITA. But, but, but, then you start thinking about all the intangibles. Or just ride it. It's an emotional grab.

This is my second '92 (first was red, and love the white frames). When I sold the first, it wasn't long after that I missed the hell out of it for reasons not completely known. When I found this one some five years ago, I told myself I wouldn't make the same mistake. Promise kept (thus far). It's not rational and that just doesn't matter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep. Despite my whining about getting the FCRs set up with the best possible compromise, I am having the greatest affair with my new Italian girlfriend. It's all over these forums... she's a tramp that'll embarrass you in front of your friends, leave you stranded on the side of the road a dozen times, sleep around, rob you blind.. but the sex is so good, it doesn't matter. There're a thousand of these sayings. Every time I fire it up, and go balling into a corner and let off... I hear that engine braking sound, and the little kid in me pushes to the surface with a huge smile on his face and a devious little giggle. I had a 95' 900 SS/SP nearly 20 years ago... biggest mistake of my life selling that bike. I've missed it (and still do) to this day. I got this FE to put an SS back in the stable. When I'm too old to ride her, she's going in my office... right next to the stack of 80's penthouse magazines that I "don't" look at anymore.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 96 900 SP and a 05 999S in the garage. If it came down to it, the 999 is a wonderful, awesome machine, a harsh mistress. However it would/will be the first to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
'95 900 SP owner here, bought brand new. 36,000 remarkably trouble free miles, the worst incident being a broken internal shift linkage spring a couple years ago. Even then didn't strand me (it never has!) I was able to limp home by nursing the shift lever. All of $7 shipped and 3-4 hour repair. Otherwise, such minor problems not even worth posting.

A keeper, I've never considered, nor will ever consider...selling this thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was having a lovely day on my '97 CR at Bear Mountain State Park today when it inexplicably died on a long twisty downhill road. Thankfully I was only a few miles from Rockwell Cycles and they came and picked me and the bike up. While they were diagnosing the CR I took a test ride on a 2019 Supersport. It just felt antiseptic and anemic. Don't get me wrong, tipping it into bends and getting hard on the throttle was super fun but it was so digital and I hated having to rev it out to get it on the boil. Perhaps I'm just unaccustomed to new bikes though I also rode a 1098 recently and that felt pretty quick. :laugh:

Let's just say I'd rather push a '97 sometimes than ride one of these reliable new ones. Also, still no word on my supposed electrical problem. I will do a separate thread on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts