Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to go the self service route for my 92 900ss. Started the familiarisation a couple of weeks ago by checking the valves and getting a feel for the whole process.

What I've decided so far is that it would be a lot easier to have someone who knows what they are doing standing over your shoulder the first time that you do this so I'm looking for Someone in the Auckland area who is currently doing their own servicing and is happy to share their knowledge.

As a bit of an incentive, I'm happy to share some distilling knowledge / product in exchange :).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike,

Haven't read the L T Snyder manual. I've got the Haynes manual and gone through the step-by-step on the Ducati Suite advanced maintenance site, though.

I'm one of those people that believe that reading stuff only every gives you half the picture. There's no real substitute for someone showing you how its done.

Figured it's worth a try.

I'm hoping that someone here is interested in a skills swap. I have two home built stills that outperform the shop stills by a good margin. If anyone is interested in home distilling I can help. Otherwise, I can help with PC problems.

Anyone interested?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi Mike,

Haven't read the L T Snyder manual. I've got the Haynes manual and gone through the step-by-step on the Ducati Suite advanced maintenance site, though.

I'm one of those people that believe that reading stuff only every gives you half the picture. There's no real substitute for someone showing you how its done.

Figured it's worth a try.

I'm hoping that someone here is interested in a skills swap. I have two home built stills that outperform the shop stills by a good margin. If anyone is interested in home distilling I can help. Otherwise, I can help with PC problems.

Anyone interested?
Anything in particular you are interested in knowing how to do?
I have worked out how to do some of the basic maintenance stuff - change oil and belts, clean the oil screen etc. Haven't tackled the valves yet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mister E, I'm also in Auckland and sound like I'm at a similar level to wobblyas. I've done belts a few times, just re-jetted, do all day to day stuff myself, never done valve clearances myself (yet). Anything I can help with just yell.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Mister E, I'm also in Auckland and sound like I'm at a similar level to wobblyas. I've done belts a few times, just re-jetted, do all day to day stuff myself, never done valve clearances myself (yet). Anything I can help with just yell.
Mister E, I got out my feeler gauges and vernier calipers in the weekend, but couldn't locate my micrometer. I thought what the hell and called Toby Beadle and booked it in.

Great guy to deal with. He was also happy for me to watch while he did the job and even teach me how to do it for myself next time. Once you have seen it done it's pretty simple job. However because he's got a professionally equipped workshop at home ... and his charge was extremely reasonable (I guess he doesn't have the overheads of leasing an expensive workshop and running staff) I'll just get him to do it next time!

He's obviously pretty popular with Harley, Ducati and Buell owners as these seem to make up a fair proportion of his work.

Disclaimer: I have no affilitiations with Toby Beadle I just like to plug great friendly service.

Toby Beadle
Auckland Motorcycle Services
Ph: 09 8351172 or 0274 456568

1 - 6 of 6 Posts