Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard both good and bad about going to 14 on the front sprocket, but haven't heard any comments on going 2 up on the rear. Anyone that didn't like going to 14 on the front go back to 15 on the front and then add 2 on the rear? I'm thinking about going up 2 on the rear at some point, for the usual reasons.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've heard both good and bad about going to 14 on the front sprocket, but haven't heard any comments on going 2 up on the rear. Anyone that didn't like going to 14 on the front go back to 15 on the front and then add 2 on the rear? I'm thinking about going up 2 on the rear at some point, for the usual reasons.
+2 on rear should be fine, just make sure your chain has the links to support.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Going two up in the rear is better than going 14t up front. With 14t your chain is going rub on the swing arm, especialy if you rais the rear of your Monster. Once I make up my mind on color I'm going to up in the rear and reinstalling my 15t.

Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Going two up in the rear is better than going 14t up front. With 14t your chain is going rub on the swing arm, especialy if you rais the rear of your Monster. Once I make up my mind on color I'm going to up in the rear and reinstalling my 15t.

Good luck.
nobody does the rear b/c all you have to do for 14t is $30, while going rear usually means a new chain along with the sprocket $$

my dealer didn't hesitate due to any concern about chain rub and like most people i have had no problems. IMO before you do the rear sprocket and new chain, save yourself the money and experiment with 14t front first.

it's only a 6% changed to your gearing but it really makes the bike feel immediate, with "no slack" so to speak.

for commuting it's a dream come true!! i don't joy ride much, but noticed the other days while doing the twisty roads that, although gearing was still easy (this baby pulls from way down low anyway) there was a noticable buzz in the handlebars, which i don't really recall from previous back road trips??

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did 2up on the rear when I replaced the chain & sprockets. Works great and is apparently preferred to going smaller on the front sprocket. I would wait until chain sprocket replacement time though.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im a little confused about the 14t sprocket change on my S2r1000. My Duc dealer recommended it even though I wanted to do the rear instead. They told me there are no issues chain wear, rub, strain on engine etc. What are the pros and cons of 14t in front?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm stock front, one up on the rear. Only 2.5 per cent change but quite significant on the road. Don't think I'd like 2-up or 14T front, but I like bikes that just lope along.

In general, theoretical, terms, the bigger the sprockets, front and rear, the less the chain links have to pivot to go around them and hence the less they wear. So you're better off going up at the rear. But in practice, this may make a lot less difference than your chain maintenance technique.

There is also the issue of chain line: the chain needs to clear the swingarm pivot. Raising the rear ride height lowers the top chain run closer to the pivot. Decreasing the front sprocket size does the same, leaving you less to work with on ride height.

As others have said, going up at the rear - esp 2 teeth - will likely require a longer chain. That's the key reason to change the front. Unless you are bothered by a few ounces of extra weight on the rear wheel. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
These bikes have plenty of torque and no top end as is. I kinda do not see the benefit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
One on the front is around 2 1/2 or close to 3 on the rear. U should try the front for 30 bucks to see if you like it before buying a whole chain & sprocket set to find out, unless your chain is stretched enough to go 2 on rear now. In my opinion it makes the bike ride much better at lower speeds and makes 6th gear purfect for highway cruising pulling effortless from 60mph on up. before the bike would sometimes surge on highway at 60mph making me want to d-shift to 5th.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is a new chain required if you're only going up 1 in the rear?
Never tried before on the Duc but all previous bikes 1 tooth is not a problem and if your chain is not brand new and a little stretched then 2 teeth are possible on the rear.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm not a big fan of changing the stock gearing at all. My bikes have plenty of torque low end and I like the high gearing for highway cruising.

Case in point - a friend of mine changed the gearing on his 900ss, the bike has plenty of low end pull with the low gearing. Here's the kicker - We were cruising at about 75 mph on the highway (first time I ever rode with him on the highway) and a Porsche Turbo comes up behind us doing triple digits. We let him pass and then tucked in behind him. My friend kept pace for about 2 miles and then dropped off drastically. I stayed with the Porsche doing between 90-100 for about 15 miles until we both exited at the same time. Later on that day my friend tells me that at that speed the bike is screaming between 9000-10000 rpm's and he can not maintain that pace for any long period of time.

Unless you do all back road, around town or track day riding with no long straights I would leave well enough alone. It's funny how we think we know better than Ducati Engineers that designed the bike and geared the bike a certain way for a reason. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Every stock streetbike I have owned will not pull redline in top gear. If you are worried about loosing top end then find a open rode and run the bike to see what RPM it will pull in 6th gear.

If your bike pulls to redline in 6th I would leave it geared stock. Motorcycle engineers have to meet noise restrictions at certain cruising speeds along with top speed limitations this is why bikes are over geared.

I have had a few bikes that ran a higher top speed by going up on the rear sprocket. 1 tooth up on Suzuki hayabusa, 2 teeth up on cbr1000rr. With this gearing and full tuck these bikes would pull just to redline and short of hitting the limiter.

·
Registered
698 Posts
...It's funny how we think we know better than Ducati Engineers that designed the bike and geared the bike a certain way for a reason. :D
Ha...by this logic none of us would modify our bikes, out of respect for Ducati engineers and their design of course :D

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ha...by this logic none of us would modify our bikes, out of respect for Ducati engineers and their design of course :D
It all depends on what you're modifying and for what reason:think:

·
Registered
698 Posts
It all depends on what you're modifying and for what reason:think:
So cosmetic modifications are ok? But drive train mods are not? What about the exhaust system? Should that not be touched out of respect for the designers? :confused:

:abduct:

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's funny how we think we know better than Ducati Engineers that designed the bike and geared the bike a certain way for a reason. :D
I'm sure you've never changed that WONDERFUL stock exhaust system that came on any of your bikes either.

Obviously, the engineers made them so restrictive and quiet for a reason.

;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
I love it, I just write the stuff and wait for you guys to come out of the wood work. You should listen to yourselves. I never said that my modifications were better than Ducati's Engineers, those are your words, LOL. I would be the first to admit that most of my mods aren't better and done more for aesthetics or comfort.

Keep the banter coming, you guys are great.

Hey Araispeed, I thought you were selling that S4RS :confused:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey Araispeed, I thought you were selling that S4RS :confused:
I was but changed my mind as a deal in buying a friends bike didn't work out. Anyways....I'm probably gonna replace my slave cylinder as the one the Ducati engineers designed is a POS and gives me hand cramps! :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts