Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to be in italy next week and, on a whim, i rented an st3 in lucca and will be riding for the weekend...at large with no direction and no plans except to go to bologna for a tour.

anyone have any ride advice? i will pick the bike up on friday and return it on sunday...maybe monday.

thanks in advence,
mike

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Sounds like a fun weekend, there are some good looking ones between Florence and Bologna from the looks of the maps but from personal experience I can recommend the coast roads (fun but busy) to Belagio on Lake Como and then head east thru the Dolomites toward Barcis or Tolmezzo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
lucky devil

On the "Twist the Throttle" Ducati episode the identified a particularly tasty section of tarmac - maybe toward Florence? Anyone remember?

If you've never ridden or drivien in Italy previously, be prepared for serious culture shock. New York, LA, Philly drivers are all just junior varsity benchwarmer drop outs by comparison. Italian drivers are -serious-.

Be careful not to hold anyone up. Keep an eye on your 6 and wave them by if they're showing you the front wheel. Nope, it's not just Rossi who does this. Don't let your ego get the best of you; you will be passed by numerous scooters, mini-cars, high cubes and a variety of other vehicles. Some of the towns have very old sections with roads 1.25 vehicle width, requiring some skill and courtesy. Watch out.

I had a scooter rider try to pass me & my wife on the cobblestones in a roundabout and we were moving out sharply. This was about 20 minutes or so north of Bergamo. That said, the riding and scenery can be quite fun and enjoyable. Filtering is generally accepted. If you have a GPS, you will definitely be able to get to a few more places you might want to ride. Take lots of pictures.

My wife & I were in Europe in '08 and the people were absolutely, without a fault completely welcoming. My wife played the ugly American making no attempt to even try to speak any language other than English. I used a phrase book & memorized a few to try and get by, but I have to confess that at one point in Italy I had to use www.freetranslation.com & a computer. But, they were terrific about it.

Your only regret will be not having the bike for longer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i just got back from a seven days holidays in tuscany.i sould sugest u to remain in tuscany and discover it.great roads.look the region of chianti.also try some pass like muraglione,verna....
have fun

·
Registered
10 Posts
i am going to be in italy next week and, on a whim, i rented an st3 in lucca and will be riding for the weekend...at large with no direction and no plans except to go to bologna for a tour.

anyone have any ride advice? i will pick the bike up on friday and return it on sunday...maybe monday.

thanks in advence,
mike
I recently drove from La Spezia to Bologna through the mountains. We stopped in Bagni di Lucca for lunch. Incredible meal in an 8th century building on the river. Then through the hills to Popiglio an then toward Vignola. Beautiful open valleys west of Bologna. Be sure to reserve a factory tour in Bologna. We simply appeared at the factory, and were only able to visit the museum. Which was great on its own. Have a great trip.

·
Premium Member
8,749 Posts
Believe it or not I was in Bologna for 5 days four years ago and I did not tour the factory. Not that I didn't want to, but I was committed to working a trade show in conjunction with my Italian distributor. He even paid for a portion of the stand to be customized just for me so there was no way I could have broken away for the tour. Besides, I thought I would be back at the very latest, the following year. Didn't work out, I got into a bad motorcycle accident and was laid up for almost three years and then decided to retire. Bummer. If I were to rent a bike or a car, I would have for sure a GPS. Actually, I doubt I would rent anything, driving around over there isn't very appealing to me. Make sure your medical insurance (if you can afford it) covers you overseas.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Believe it or not I was in Bologna for 5 days four years ago and I did not tour the factory. Not that I didn't want to, but I was committed to working a trade show in conjunction with my Italian distributor. He even paid for a portion of the stand to be customized just for me so there was no way I could have broken away for the tour. Besides, I thought I would be back at the very latest, the following year. Didn't work out, I got into a bad motorcycle accident and was laid up for almost three years and then decided to retire. Bummer. If I were to rent a bike or a car, I would have for sure a GPS. Actually, I doubt I would rent anything, driving around over there isn't very appealing to me. Make sure your medical insurance (if you can afford it) covers you overseas.
how about have fun!?!

What will you be riding out there?
the only bike available was the ST3, which i'm cool with. if i decide to ride all week instead of just the weekend, i will swap out for a m1100.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are you renting the bike from Ducati Tours? If not, give them a call or send them an email- they opperate out of Lucca. They know the roads in Tuscany like the back of their hand. I did a tour with them earlier this summer and it was great riding to say the least. The Director's name is Joe, I think his email is on their site- ducatitours.com. I'm sure they would be happy to point out some great roads, if you can connect with them in person for a few minutes in Lucca all the better. Great people and I'm sure great advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts