Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm located in Ottawa, Canada, and I have a person in California interested in my ST3. The bike was originally sold in New Jersey, and then imported into Canada in 2012. It currently has DP exhaust, air box and ECU. The buyer is concerned that it won't pass the California emission test. I have the original exhaust, air box, and ECU, but I'm missing the oxygen sensor.
Two questions:
Is swapping back to the stock setup the solution?
Is their anyone in Anaheim that has an oxygen sensor he can use/buy?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
It's been a few years since I checked, and I could remember wrong or maybe it changed.
Anyway, if it has 7500 miles or more, I am thinking you need no inspection.
I know for sure that CA does not test bikes for emissions.

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
It's been a few years since I checked, and I could remember wrong or maybe it changed.
Anyway, if it has 7500 miles or more, I am thinking you need no inspection.
I know for sure that CA does not test bikes for emissions.
There’s always Vermont…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
If your buyer has any concerns, tell him to give Marty a call at Middle Man Liens ( 415 305 5454 ), tell him that Ben with the 1198SP and 57 Austin Healey gave you his number and ask him for advice - he's really helpful and may even be able to help reduce registration costs...

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There’s always Vermont…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're only 6 hours from me, how'd you like to take a trip to California.

·
comrade moderator
27,424 Posts
California has a pretty big hard on for vehicles with modified exhausts and intakes...or maybe just the sale of exhaust and intake stuff, but the buyer probably needs to be up to date on what flies and what doesn't there in fruit-n-nut land..

I'm right across the border from Kingston if you need to land it someplace in the states...I have room.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
California has a pretty big hard on for vehicles with modified exhausts and intakes...or maybe just the sale of exhaust and intake stuff,
I think they try to clamp down on sales.
But whatever is on your bike, is on your bike.
No inspections required, and the fuzz have bigger donuts to fry than loud pipes.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
California has a pretty big hard on for vehicles with modified exhausts and intakes...or maybe just the sale of exhaust and intake stuff, but the buyer probably needs to be up to date on what flies and what doesn't there in fruit-n-nut land..

I'm right across the border from Kingston if you need to land it someplace in the states...I have room.
Thanks for the offer. If the deal gets the green light, I'll let you know.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think they try to clamp down on sales.
But whatever is on your bike, is on your bike.
No inspections required, and the fuzz have bigger donuts to fry than loud pipes.
The difference here is that it's being imported to the USA, which might cause some red tape, and possibly a smog inspection.

·
comrade moderator
27,424 Posts
I don't know this first hand but I believe because it was a US bike that was imported may make things easier. I think the border inspections are going to want to see the EPA stamp on the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
When I brought an out of state Bike into California the DMV required the VIN the Engine
Number the Noise compliance sticker and the Emissions Compliance sticker period.
They could care less about anything else Ducati put the Emissions sticker under the
tank and they couldn't see it so I had to go home remove it and place it under the seat
before they would register it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
When I brought an out of state Bike into California the DMV required the VIN the Engine Number the Noise compliance sticker and the Emissions Compliance sticker period.
They could care less about anything else.
That's all a California buyer of a 7,500-plus milage bike needs to register it. California DMV inspectors ONLY check for the presence of the federal sticker, and do not verify the presence of OEM emission equipment.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's all a California buyer of a 7,500-plus milage bike needs to register it. California DMV inspectors ONLY check for the presence of the federal sticker, and do not verify the presence of OEM emission equipment.
[/QUOTE

Is this the sticker they want to see?
20210719_144616.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm located in Ottawa, Canada, and I have a person in California interested in my ST3. The bike was originally sold in New Jersey, and then imported into Canada in 2012. It currently has DP exhaust, air box and ECU. The buyer is concerned that it won't pass the California emission test. I have the original exhaust, air box, and ECU, but I'm missing the oxygen sensor.
Two questions:
Is swapping back to the stock setup the solution?
Is their anyone in Anaheim that has an oxygen sensor he can use/buy?
They are more concerned with manufacturers stickers saying it passes all countries.

·
Registered
06' ST3
427 Posts
Not to jinx your sale by any means but this bike will need to undergo an inspection at the CA DMV since it's never been titled in our state before. I agree that the sticker you show here should satisfy the inspector and I do know they do not require smog testing like we need to do every other year for cars/trucks but this sticker tells the inspector that there is an oxygen sensor. For the after market pipes/airbox/ECU set-up, the oxygen sensor is removed from the header and plugged with a bung. Your buyer could encounter a situation where the inspector can see that the sensor has been removed. It's easy ...just look underneath at the header pipe that sits below the fairing and there it is (or should be). If he/she is savvy enough, they'll call this out and then the OE stuff will need to be put back on to pass. Probably won't happen but it's a possibility. I know that the OHV rangers look for this stuff on dirt bikes as many people remove the emissions equipment, get randomly pulled over in the OHV areas, get scrutinized for improper emissions equip., and bikes impounded. Like someone else said above, CA has a major hard on for vehicles here having the proper emissions control stuff and these inspectors and rangers know that many riders swap out the OE stuff for after market.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts