Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything was moving along just fine since I returned to Michigan from Florida . Lots to do, trying to get my house and yard work done so I could start riding, maintaining stable, etc.
Then, I had a day where I had no energy, just couldn’t get going. Started hurting to breathe, like cracked ribs. Covid ! I thought. All the symptoms seemed right. Nothing to mess with, having a pregnant granddaughter and her kids around, so I went to get tested.
Results, multiple pulmonary embolisms, both lungs. Lower lobe right lung was pretty much one big clot. Lung capacity down by about a third, felt like I’d been kicked by a mule.
Spent a week in the hospital on morphine and blood thinners, until my blood oxygen level came up enough to go home.
Doc says I can do whatever I feel capable of, unless I get another clot , hence on blood thinners for next three months. Problem is I’m getting tired so quick ! I’m not going to get things done, all I do is sleep. This sucks.
I drove back from Florida straight through 20 hours, doc says this is why it happened.
Warning to all , when you’re driving, or I suppose even riding, walk around every hour or so.
Recovery time can be up to 2 YEARS, just depends how fast your body absorbs the clots.

·
Smut peddler
1,003 Posts
Yikes! Guess I'll pull the entertainment system and fridge out of the bathroom. Best wishes on a quick recovery.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Wow ... REALLY glad you made it. PE is nothing to snort at. However, I've never heard that thing about being sedentary for too long at a single stretch causing blood clots though (of course that doesn't mean they don't happen). I drove semi-truck for years .... knew other truck drivers ... never once heard anything about driving for too long in a stretch or you may end up with Multiple PE clots! Wow.

Did the Dr. mention anything about staying properly hydrated while driving ... which may prevent those clots? I'm just curious.

I am also just damned glad you got a tap on the shoulder rather than your "life pink slip" (so to speak). Sometimes, when those little taps on the shoulder come around, it's a message .... saying "Hey dumass! ... Change your lifestyle!!". I know I've been given a warning (... more than once).

Hang in there for us. :)

·
Administrator
12,308 Posts
Whoa, that is a long recovery. I guess the only blessing is you are and will be OK. Thank you for the lesson and advice, I think it is important for all of us to heed.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
The clots form in your lower body when you sit in the same position for too long... then they break loose when you move... PE, Stroke... etc... ALL sorts of very bad things can happen. I think about that mostly when flying... getting up and stretching regularly. On the Duc it's not as big a deal since I'm able to move around and even stand up on the pegs to keep circulation going.

·
Still needs a life.
12,543 Posts
That is a problem with airplane passengers in long distance flights. Compression socks help. Most of us with bladders over 50 years old will stop frequently for the obvious reason if we are attempting to stay hydrated.
I wish you a speedy (less than two year) recovery.

·
Official Retired Person
7,332 Posts
I can understand the shock of suddenly feeling like you can't catch your breath. That's what felt for weeks prior to the pacemaker. Totally different cause but very similar effect. Scared me, that's for certain.

Glad you heeded the warning signs & went to the Dr. Do what they tell you to do. Changing a few things for your life style is easier to do sooner than later.

Hope you have an uneventful recovery. Stay strong!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Wow ... REALLY glad you made it. PE is nothing to snort at. However, I've never heard that thing about being sedentary for too long at a single stretch causing blood clots though (of course that doesn't mean they don't happen). I drove semi-truck for years .... knew other truck drivers ... never once heard anything about driving for too long in a stretch or you may end up with Multiple PE clots! Wow.

Did the Dr. mention anything about staying properly hydrated while driving ... which may prevent those clots? I'm just curious.

I am also just damned glad you got a tap on the shoulder rather than your "life pink slip" (so to speak). Sometimes, when those little taps on the shoulder come around, it's a message .... saying "Hey dumass! ... Change your lifestyle!!". I know I've been given a warning (... more than once).

Hang in there for us. :)
well documented (I'm a nurse and have taken care of patients with dvt and pe). Anything where you're not moving around for long periods, like long airplane flights, car drives etc. It's absolutely cruicial to get up and move around every couple hours. Overweight people are especially vulnerable. The mechanism of action is blood pools in the extremities, causing clots (deep vein thrombosis), worst case scenario part of the clots break off and lodge in the pulmonary vasculature. A PE can kill you. Probably one of the most well known people to die from a PE David Bloom - Wikipedia

Also at risk for PE from long bone fractures like the femur.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
... it's a wonder that half of congress isn't already dead from PE ... seein's how sedentary jobs contribute to it. That is to say ... congress ought to be dead from the sittin' on yer ass disease ...

~~~ ahem ~~~

(I'll be at the Airport Hilton all week folks, shows start at 11:30 .. free slot machine tokens for anyone ordering drinks after midnight!).

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nobody mentioned the importance of hydration, though I see the logic. As a matter of fact, when on car trips I limit what I drink as my wife has iron kidneys and I do not. I don’t think I’ll have trouble getting her to stop when I need to from now on.
I have a low platelet count, so I wouldn’t have thought I’d be at risk for blood clots.
So much for that logic. Doc doesn’t want me riding while on mondo blood thinners.☹
Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doc warned me...repeatedly. Also warned me not to ride...repeatedly. He knows me.
Since it’s my first PE I’ll “ only “ be on blood thinners 3 months, all summer.
I‘m too weak and fatigued to ride right now anyway. The problem will come when I start feeling better.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Ummmmm...........welcome? I hate your having problems. I want you to be well. Listen to the docs. Best wishes

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Glad they caught it before it caught you. Also, free advice, worth at least what you paid for it, switch to an electric razor while you’re on the blood thinners. Be well.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are not going to believe this, but since you brought it up : I hadnt shaved in the week I was in the hospital, so the day I got home I started to shave myself and cut my lip with an electric razor ! What a dumb shit ! They sent me home with one instruction: Don’t Bleed.
I‘m home one hour and bleeding in the sink.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the post and the story. Get well. It's kind of a scary story and makes me wonder about some of us with desk jobs. I mean, we sit at a desk for long periods. Seems like it's asking for a blood clot.

Maybe not for me however since I'm already permanently on blood thinners from heart surgery. It's why I retired from racing. If I crash out like I did frequently in my youth the results might not be good. I remember after my heart surgery (valve replacement) I had to wear those compression socks for a month.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.
The blood thinners make it more of a risk to do much of anything, don’t they ?
I get off easy since it’s my first time with PE, only have to be on thinners for 3 months, but that’s all summer !
Oh well, it could be worse, right ? They were talking about having me on thinners forever.
So, Zach, I’m assuming you still ride but don’t race ? This is too new to me. I know it will be increased risk but I can’t imagine not riding. I’m 71 in a couple of months so my clock is ticking anyway. I feel like I’m burning valuable time from whatever is left to me. My wife keeps telling me I’m too old to ride. Something like this sure doesn’t help my case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts