Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And when I say hate, I mean I want to set this woman's family on fire.

I stopped at McDonalds for a sandwich, and this old woman comes in the same time as me. They just bitch at the people working there because they don't yet have the new frappe-whatever-bullshit machine like some store elsewhere has. She leaves without ordering anything. I sit down with my food, hadn't even opened my sandwich, and she comes in "is that your yellow motorcycle?"

"Yeah... why?"
"I just knocked it over."
"Are you joking, cause that's not really that funny"
"No, come look."

Sure enough there's a 1098 laying on its side, with a Lexus SUV almost on top of it. I'm picking it up off the ground and she's like "oh thats good, only should be a few scratches."

I go "No, its not just a few scratches. I'm going to need your insurance info, or there's going a physical altercation."

-Left clip-on is torn off, and all the controls on it are mangled.
-Basically everything on the left side is rashed, including fairings, tail, rearsets, mirror, etc, etc.
-Gear shift lever snapped clean
-Since it got hit from the back, it broke the (stock) license plate frame and tweaked the exhaust pipes too

I have a really good relationship with the dealer in Ft Myers, so I'll have to get it sent down there this week. And so begins another god damn saga.

Anybody have any clue how much that damage would run based on straight-up OEM parts at a dealer? In the scale of things, its not huge damage, but it sure touched a lot of parts...

·
Registered
173 Posts
wow from what you listed, that sounds like a lot of money. all the fairings on one side would probably be around a grand. then the exhaust will be expensive if its been tweeked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just go here. Look up the parts you think you need and then enter the part numbers into their website.

http://www.ducatiomaha.com/products.asp

With that kind of cavalier attitude of that idiot, I would have had to hold back. Might under a fit of rage kick the side of her car door in and say well it's only a slight dent. So all is good. I guess you do have to give her some props though as she did come looking for you to let you know what she did. She could have just sped off like another old fart I witnessed.

I was in a library parking lot in my car when I see this old fart pull up in a big land yacht. He tries to swing the car into a parking space which I knew he wasn't going to make it in one turn. Well, he keeps going and bang. Hits a car next to the space. Hit it hard enough where the car was rocking back and forth. He backs up and sits there for a second. No doubt taking a dump in his Depends. I still watch him waiting for him to get out and leave a note or at least inspect the car he hit for damage. Nope, he straightens the car out and peels off. I get out of my car to try to get his license plate number but he was already gone. I check the car and didn't notice any damage or I would have chased the ahole down.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Every "tip over" I've seen has resulted in a $2500-$5000 bill based upon replacing or repainting parts and if you do your own labor or not. Yes, seriously.

If, however, you, me, whoever owns said bike did it themselves then, well, I think we can all live with a few "stupidity" flaws/scars to save some dough. Not so if caused by someone else though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hell, for plastics alone you are looking at over 1K. A mirror for my 998 cost me $105.
I would venture to guess it is going to cost about $3000 to get it fixed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
And when I say hate, I mean I want to set this woman's family on fire.

"Yeah... why?"
"I just knocked it over."
"Are you joking, cause that's not really that funny"
"No, come look."

Sure enough there's a 1098 laying on its side, with a Lexus SUV almost on top of it. I'm picking it up off the ground and she's like "oh thats good, only should be a few scratches."
That totally sucks.. Sorry to hear that. One positive is at least she was responsible enough to alert you that she did that. As long as she has insurance you’re covered. Yeah, it sucks, but she could have just as easily driven off oblivious or intentionally avoiding responsibility. Just be thankful she did or you would be out of pocket in some form or another. Most people are unaware of how costly those “stupid” 2 wheeled things cost.. There’s nothing to them…!!! When she sees the bill will probably think she’s getting ripped off… Just a couple of scratches….!!

Hope you get it fixed with relatively little hassle. I feel your pain… :mad:

Oh, and what is your cut-off point determining “Old” and “Young” or in between? If it was a younger person they probably would have laughed, driven off while leaving skid marks…..:eek:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Don't be too shocked if they total it.If the bent exhaust tweaked the frame it would likely push it over the edge.And I think the fairings will run more than a grand. The dealer can help you turn the estimate into a new bike.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Bad luck mate....I,d have kicked her in the fadge...... More action needed to get those over size gas guzzlin pieces of shit off the roads.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Don't be too shocked if they total it.If the bent exhaust tweaked the frame it would likely push it over the edge.And I think the fairings will run more than a grand. The dealer can help you turn the estimate into a new bike.
Hate to say it, but just about every "new-ish" bike I've heard being tipped over has been written off as a total loss by the insurance companies. Good luck in fixing her!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Hate to say it, but just about every "new-ish" bike I've heard being tipped over has been written off as a total loss by the insurance companies. Good luck in fixing her!
Good thing it was only a 1098............:abduct:

·
Registered
53 Posts
my friends 848 got knocked over by a truck and suffered less damage than what you described on your bike...the shops estimate was a little over $8000. good thing you got her unsurance info, but be prepared though because your bike might get "totalled"

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Well that sucks...if they don't get it totaled and they give you a good amount of money to fix it, might as well send it over to get customized...;) Like others pointed out, dimwit though she might have been, at least she gave you her insurance info right?

BTW this reminds me of a funny story from about ten years ago. My roommate and I were sitting on a stoop next door to Abbot Kinney Pizza in Venice Beach, CA eating lunch with our bikes parked across the street. Someone in a small car left the curb in front of us leaving a space open. A white BMW pulls up and the driver throws it in reverse. She's backing it in and I realize she's not going to make it without hitting the other car. I figure she's going to pull out and straighten the car a bit. I figured wrong...lol She rides up over the curb with a sickening grinding noise on her rear bumper and hits the car behind her in the process. Then she turns the wheel and hits the car in front of her on the way back down. Then she goes back and forth bumping into both cars repeatedly as she parks her car. We're sitting there with our mouths open in a WTF look. It's a perky blonde, she gets out and casually opens her trunk. So I get up and wander over and ask her if she realizes she hit the two cars. She says "Yeah, don't worry, I do this all the time!" She has a big box of nail polish in the trunk with all kinds of colors. She takes a couple out and matches them to the cars and paints the scratches right there with a couple dabs. She even touched up the license plate on the car behind her. I mean, I'd be horrified if it was my car but the way she handled the situation, it was some of the funniest shit I've ever seen. You had to be there...

I hope she didn't knock over any Ducatis...

·
Registered
154 Posts
left mid is over 500, lower is right at 500. Not to mention the clip on and whatnot. I wouldnt doubt if they total it.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I just had my new 2010 848 fall over when I was getting the mail. Reminder to all - never leave it in Neutral unless you really wan't it to drift forward. Only "minor" damage and the bill is around 4k.

The problem isn't the cost really, that gear shift lever has taken over 4 weeks to arrive so after insurance review and everything else, it's over 6 weeks and counting and still no bike. It's been in the shop longer than I've been able to ride it.

Hope your parts come in much faster.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd consider yourself lucky man. My bike was knocked over in a parking lot a month ago. Lady drove away. Got her license plate, reported it. Insurance contacted her but so far she has refused to give them her insurance and said she didn't do it. My bike's been sitting at the shop for over a month and I probably won't get it back for another 2 weeks. $2400 of damage on a $4500 bike. Just in the process of trying to get this lady to pay for my deductible. Not fun. I'll get her though. I'm in the process of getting her license suspended for not reporting the incident.

be careful out there

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hope they total it.

Collect as much as you possibly can.

Buy it back with a salvage title (assuming you can in your state)

Repair with trick aftermarket parts for a fraction of the cash you were given

End up with a nicer bike AND cash in your pocket.

Sure its a pain in the ass, but try to milk it for what you can.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Bad luck mate....I,d have kicked her in the fadge...... More action needed to get those over size gas guzzlin pieces of shit off the roads.
just adding to the outrageous comments which i should be offended by (I'm almost 80 years old) but seeing the word "fadge" made me just bust out laughing :p

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Ok, what's a fadge...lol

Alexio...almost 80? Are you kidding me? I'd never have guessed it. If you're serious you are my hero man...lol I'm going to rock my bikes forever. :D

1 - 20 of 116 Posts