Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rider on another forum has bought a new Moto Guzzi and arranged for delivery in the Spring. He's asked forum members if he should brave the cold and just go get the bike now. My answer:

For me, about half of the joy in owning a new bike is in just being able to look at it. Even if I can't ride it, I can sneek out to the garage on one pretext or another and drink in every lovely detail. I only come back indoors when I'm forced by the cold. Go and get it! You have much looking to do.

With the Ducati, the whole impression is one of stylish function. Every detail is visually appealing. Design objectives are met, but style is never forgotten. Every design characteristic blends with and complements every other. The eye is invited to just flow over the machine from end to end. Nothing seems out of place, or dug out of a generic parts bin. A Guzzi is the same way: a treat for the senses, even when only silently standing.

Remember the old joke? "Heaven has English civil servants, French cooks, Italian lovers, and German engineers. Hell has English cooks, Italian engineers, French civil servants, and German lovers." It no longer holds. Italian engineering is on a par with any in the world. Give me Brembo brakes, Marelli fuel injection, and Desmodromic valves and I'm one happy sport bike rider. Oh, and don't forget to paint it all in deep, soul-stirring Italian racing red!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
+1 on Go & Get. If you're not ready to take delivery, why buy now? :think:

I may be very childish, but every time I've bought a bike, I couldn't wait to ride it. More than one of my (previous) bikes have been baptized on their very first ride, i.e. seen rain. It's too bad of the great shine that comes with a brand spanking new zero mile bike, but still .....

For me, the only reason to postpone delivery is when you live in an area where they (have) put salt on the road .... that's a killer for your bike. Having said that, I used to commute on my bike, rain or shine, snow or not. In wintertime, I would wash my bike every day ......

So in summary: get up and go :D

RonB

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
when I bought my S1K, it was (I was told) the last black biposto in 2007 although I bought it in June.. none of the 4 local ducati dealers could get it in black, so I called DNA and asked where did they have a black one in the US, DNA told me there was one left in Fresno CA. OK, so that's a 4 hour drive from LA, on a very long, straight, boring road full of semis going 90mph. There was no way I was going to put the first 300 miles on my bike on a fast freeway, so I had to rent a van to go pick it up. 8 hours of driving in a van, all day, I got home at 8pm (it took forever to take delivery at the dealership), and didn't have a ramp to remove the bike from the van, and no one to help me, but I was dammed if I was going to let my newly acquired jewel spend the night in the van until someone came to help. So I backed up the van perpendicularly to the curb blocking my narrow street, so the back of the van was about a foot off the raised curb (grass), found a plank of wood in the neighborhood, and proceeded with unloading my bike on my own... I almost dropped it. a guy walking his dog saw what I was doing and came to the rescue. 2mins later, the bike was out of the van. I thanked the guy, rushed to park the van, slapped my helmet on, and went for a 2hr ride, putting the first miles on my bike... came home at 11pm.

in 2007, christmas came in june. for sure.

I vividly remember the rush from pulling that throttle for the first time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Do not pass go; Go directly to Guzzi land and get it.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Text Him!

"Hello,

I am writing today to ask a question about your new bike. I have a 200x Sport Classic xxx, and I love it! However, as you are aware, there are problems staying in the dealership; with you not picking up your bike. It can warp you head and you will have problems staying attached to the bike. I have had one bike replaced already, and the replacement is starting to have problems as well.

I recently saw that for 2010, Ducati will be selling the 848/1098/1198 bikes. I want to know if it is possible to make one for the Moto Guzzi line also?

Please consider picking up your bike, as I belong to a group of Ducati owners, and there are over 100 people who have the same affliction and would pick up the bike.

Thank you for buying such a nice motorcycle, and I hope picking up in the near possible in the future.

Sincerely,

xxx"

(Credit to SE84 on the SC Aluminium R&D Thread.:))

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Give me Brembo brakes, Marelli fuel injection, and Desmodromic valves and I'm one happy sport bike rider. Oh, and don't forget to paint it all in deep, soul-stirring Italian racing red!
That's a great line! :)

Personally, once I make the purchase commitment I want to get that bike home as soon as I can. And once it's home I want to ride it as soon as I can. Buy a bike and wait four months to get it home? That would drive me nuts. :crazy:

Debby

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
You say that like it's a bad thing. :p
Nah ..... :D it's just that I've heard too often that I should start acting my age (why?), behave more mature (again, why?), act more in line with my "position in life and society" (pfffffff, who gives a rat's donkey*?) etc. So hence the "disclaimer"

Although I would give one of my kidneys to hear my Mom one more time ask me when I plan on finally growing up.
And I would still give her the same answer ..... never :D

RonB

* substitute that other word for donkey

·
Registered
68 Posts
get the bike

In this economy if your dealer goes out of business you may have a hard time getting it when you want.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
It no longer holds. Italian engineering is on a par with any in the world.
german lovers have out-performed the italian and french by far.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts