Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone whit a 13-14 Pikes Peak respray their carbon to gloss? I'm in the process of doing my 15k service and I have all the carbon off except the fenders. Seriously considering haivng them resprayed gloss. Never was a fan of the matte finish.
@Shift-Tech or anyone, any tips?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I always resprayed the carbon, most of parts don't have uv protectant and they yellow up with time and sun, always good to have a clear coat on them imho.
Best bet is take them off and scuff them with either a 3m scuff pad or wet sand with a 600grit lightly then drop them off at your local body shop and next time they clear a panel they can shoot the for you, probably much cheaper than buying material and doing it yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always resprayed the carbon, most of parts don't have uv protectant and they yellow up with time and sun, always good to have a clear coat on them imho.
Best bet is take them off and scuff them with either a 3m scuff pad or wet sand with a 600grit lightly then drop them off at your local body shop and next time they clear a panel they can shoot the for you, probably much cheaper than buying material and doing it yourself.
Thank you, excellent advice all around. They look crappy when they turn yellow!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front fender is of some concern. I'm going to have the whole thing clear coated, even though the red parts are already gloss (red). The side "safety" decals and front Ducati decal are applied on top and not under the existing, original clear coat. I'm planning on clear coating over them, but they may be tricky to scuff up. The Ducati decal is shown as a part so it is replaceable, but the side decals are not. Suppose I can live without the side decals if it goes badly prepping/scuffing.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Front fender is of some concern. I'm going to have the whole thing clear coated, even though the red parts are already gloss (red). The side "safety" decals and front Ducati decal are applied on top and not under the existing, original clear coat. I'm planning on clear coating over them, but they may be tricky to scuff up. The Ducati decal is shown as a part so it is replaceable, but the side decals are not. Suppose I can live without the side decals if it goes badly prepping/scuffing.
Scuff the decals VERY lightly with a scuff pad, as long as they're cleaned with a good grease remover the clear will bind with no problem, make sure (if you're doing it) to apply first a very light tack coat before the wet coat, decals will be there forever.
I'll do the same treatment sometime this summer.
Cheers!

Reactions: shorton
1 - 6 of 6 Posts