Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive wanted to get top case made by Givi for a while. I was going to order one and decided that I should at least see if they are as good as they look. It is hard to tell from pics if the plastic is flimsy or if the lock is secure etc...

My biggest fear is that it will leak water during a wet ride. Any comments on this products quality would be appreciated. Thanx B

·
Registered
533 Posts
B,
I have just finished a trip on one of my bikes which has a Givi topbox. The construction is excellent and the box sits very well on the bike ( BMW ). I went through some rain but not enough to test the waterproofing characteristics. With the box alone the bike was quite stable in the wind as well. One word of warning, however. Don't put too much gear in so that you have to pressure the lid shut, or it will distort the plastic and put the side locks out of alignment.
Ian

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I have had one on my bike for some time now and riden many hours in the rain with no leakage the construction is solid with good locking mechanisms.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just got V46 top case for my Multistrada. It's the best $$ I ever spent on top case. Build quality is unreal, when it closes it reminds me Rolls Royce door. I have spend a lot of $$ buying cheap top cases, it's only Givi from now on. I'm bringing their full line into my store.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
One year with my ST4 with side cases (Duc/Nonfango) and Givi top box plus two years on my old bike with Givi side cases. I carried my laptop in them daily. Never a leak in rain, sleat, some snow, and ice on one occasion.

I carry paper binders in them also for work. No worries about soaked cert documents.

The only time you get water in there is opening them in the rain. Not much anyone could do about that.

Also, a tree took me out in March. The top case was on with the laptop in it. It didn't pop off or pop open. It's been completely functional since.

Have a good one.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
I've got an E460 top case and 2 B36N Business cases as side cases on my FJ and use it daily for commuting and the like. The E460 has never had any issues with water at all. Only time I've got water in the B36N cases is when I open them after sitting in the rain. The latch area forms a bit of a "well" when the cases are used as side cases that collected a small amount of water and I hadn't removed the case from the bike before opening it. That's the only complaint I can come up with regarding my Givi cases. As a reference for size, I've can fit both my helmet (Shoei X-11 XL) and my wife's helmet (Shoei X-11 M) into the E460 after I removed the "document holder" from the inside of the lid. I do end up laying them on thier sides to have them both fit, but that should give you a fairly good idea of the space inside the case.
The B36N Business Case is not as "thickly" built as the E460 and has more flex in the lid. Still doesn't leak, but if you try to cram stuff into it, you could probably make it leak far easier than the E460. And the B36N is really an oversized briefcase, best used to hold large, flat items. I wanted them for side cases that didn't make the bike too wide for daily use. The bike is still widest at the mirrors when I have the B36N cases on it!
Anyway... as top cases go, the Givi Vxx and Exxx series cases are hard to beat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts