Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it's practical. Here are some pics. The E-30 cost me less than $100 bucks, goes on and off in seconds and acts as a very nice backrest for 2 up. Installation took less than 30 minutes. I installed the DP luggage rack a few days before.

Tried the back pack and considered a tank bag. All in all, this proved the best solution for me. I don't care for the look but can't see it when I am riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
It really doesn't look that bad as far as mounting a top-case on a bike goes.
Did you reinforce the DP rack at all, I read somewhere it can be quite fragile.
Do you have a side shot of the bike without the top-case by any chance?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like it. I have a black trunk off of a F800GS that I was thinking about doing the same thing to.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It really doesn't look that bad as far as mounting a top-case on a bike goes.
Did you reinforce the DP rack at all, I read somewhere it can be quite fragile.
Do you have a side shot of the bike without the top-case by any chance?
Someone else did mount the case on the DP rack before and the rack did break. I don't remember the post or who posted it but it's here somewhere. The DP rack really is only good for 10 pounds or so.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It was mentioned in the latest issue of Motorcyclist. Catterson put more then 12 lbs in his topcase and broke the luggage rack which in turn shattered the taillight.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've been in touch with Ventura but they are not sure their system would work with an LV exhaust. I just went with Cortech sport bags for weekenders and a cargo net on the seat for my commute.

·
Registered
541 Posts
it's practical. Here are some pics. The E-30 cost me less than $100 bucks, goes on and off in seconds and acts as a very nice backrest for 2 up. Installation took less than 30 minutes. I installed the DP luggage rack a few days before.

Tried the back pack and considered a tank bag. All in all, this proved the best solution for me. I don't care for the look but can't see it when I am riding.
Where did you get that? It looks very nice!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased it at Road Rider here in San Jose, CA. I have seem them on eBay for sub $100.

I did a two up ride today and passenger used the Givi as a backrest. If the rack is that fragile, I will need to rethink using the Givi as a backrest and make sure I don't overload the box. The build quality on the rack looks substantial and weld looks to be of very good quality. I wonder if they reinforced more recent builds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Not to hi-jack this thread but does this mean you resolved your problems with the bike?If so, maybe you could start another thread to fill us in.Inquiring minds want to know.:)
As far as top cases on Hypers go, I think it looks pretty nice.I may be totally wrong here, but weren't the first racks some kind of composite? Your rack looks to be fairly stout.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This rack is really well built. It's aluminum and well reinforced.

The dealer adjusted what I think is called the idle air mixture screw. In fact, the screws were turned all the way in. When I got the bike back, it had a tough time idling and occasionally stalled. Nichols backed out the screws a quarter turn, I put the Fatduc back on and the temp seems okay. Of course I am riding in 55 degree weather.

The vibration still bugs me. The general consensus is that the ECU needs to be replaced with the Ducati race ECU. I told the dealer to put one on, if it fixed the problem, I would buy it. If it did not fix the problem, remove it and replace the standard ECU and find the source of the problem.

They have not gotten back to me on that request yet.

I'm heading to the IMS tomorrow to see if they have a stock Hyper I can ride. Hopefully DNA will take interest in determining the problem. If I could find another Hyper to ride that vibrates like mine, I would feel better. I have ridden a few and none of them vibrate like mine. To the dealers defense, they are very willing to do what they can to determine the source of the problem.

The CEL still comes on every couple hundred miles.

Thanks for asking.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:rolleyes:Kinda looks like a BBQ...Easy on and easy off...You cant see it when you are riding...Maybe some kind soul will let you try their ECU with the intention of Buying if it works ?? Can't hurt to ask...Good Luck with getting it to run optimum:)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a GIVI rack too but made a sustantial bracket to take the weight, structural bracket lives there and the rack takes 30 second to put in the four bolts and it is done.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well here's my attempt at this. I threw on the E230 case (smallest one they make I think). Ugly as sin but practical. Hopefully this will make my wife feel a little more secure on the back of the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Someone else did mount the case on the DP rack before and the rack did break. I don't remember the post or who posted it but it's here somewhere. The DP rack really is only good for 10 pounds or so.
Maybe mount on the pillian seat is more realistic.:alien:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a GIVI rack too but made a sustantial bracket to take the weight, structural bracket lives there and the rack takes 30 second to put in the four bolts and it is done.
That is heavy duty. I like it. Where did you get the brackets?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts