Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I've been searching the forums here for a week or so, and I'm a bit confused on what I need to do to get a mounting plate for a GIVI top case. All I can find on GIVI's site is the 675F top box rack for the ST3, but it says that it's not compatible with the stock panniers. I've seen a few threads on custom fabricated pieces but I'm not that skilled with fabrication and as the bike is not in my possession I can't take it to a shop to have a piece made. I called my local Ducati shop and the parts dept said all I need is the Givi mounting plate and then any top case could be added. But it looks like there are rack arms that connect the mounting plate to the frame. My email to GIVI has so far gone unanswered. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the Givi top box rack mounted to my bike. It uses the same mounting holes on the frame as the pannier mounts do. You can use them together. You may have to enlarge the holes in the plastic that the mounting tabs go through in order for both the rack and pannier mounts to be used at the same time.

My guess is that they say it's incompatible because of the forces on the mounting tabs. Physically they can be mounted together. I've had the pannier rack and pannier mounts on my bike at the same time.

Check out the photos from cb4265 in the picture thread. He has the pannier mounts and top box rack mounted to his bike.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/6458441-post1624.html

·
Registered
355 Posts
From my research I believe that the standard GIVI rack does not work with the factory panniers. It seems that GIVI made a special rack only available through Ducati which is currently out of stock.
The Ducati part number is 967015stag.
If the stock GIVI one fits I'd love to know so I can get one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd be interested to see what the difference is between the two racks. The one in the photo from the Givi website appears to mount to the bike in the same manor as mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any other top case options?

I guess I should mention, it does't have to be a GIVI top case, any other quality top case options that fit with the stock panniers would be fine!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I guess I should mention, it does't have to be a GIVI top case, any other quality top case options that fit with the stock panniers would be fine!
If you go to the classified section, Robert (RockingM)just listed some ST4 parts including some Ventura mounting brackets . These are supposed to work with the ST bags. You may need to adapt the givi mounting plate to these.
As Turbomart and Tonered know, the current givi brackets do not work with the bags. I was lucky to find the original givi Ducati set up in the MS. classifieds just about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you go to the classified section, Robert (RockingM)just listed some ST4 parts including some Ventura mounting brackets . These are supposed to work with the ST bags. You may need to adapt the givi mounting plate to these.
As Turbomart and Tonered know, the current givi brackets do not work with the bags. I was lucky to find the original givi Ducati set up in the MS. classifieds just about 3 weeks ago.
Aha! so you're the guy who snagged that! I was excited to find that in the classifieds only to scroll down and see that it was already sold ;-)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GIVI arms modified?

So the guys at GIVI got back to me today, said they think the arms they have will work with my stock panniers. I said the members here have confirmed that this is indeed not the case. So we're seeing if they can track down the details on the original arms sold to Ducati for the GIVI top case. I'm hoping that with the original schematic in hand, along with the currently available mounting arms that a fabricator can easily make the needed modifications. Has anyone here successfully fabricated mounting arms for a GIVI top case?

Cheers!
D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Plan B could be the Ventura soft case setup I'm selling in the classifieds. Ventura also now has a hard case to mount on their racks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plan B could be the Ventura soft case setup I'm selling in the classifieds. Ventura also now has a hard case to mount on their racks.
That was a consideration until I found out that the Ventura system could not do double duty as a back rest for a passenger. Which is a fairly important feature for the wife who's going on this 1,500 mile 7 state tour with me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I purchased a rack and top case from Moto Machines for my ST4 so my wife would be more comfortable with a backrest. My ST didn't have panniers so I just went soft bags as it was more important to have a backrest on longer rides. I can send you some better pictures if you think you could fabricate the Hepco Becker rack for your ST.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I purchased a rack and top case from Moto Machines for my ST4 so my wife would be more comfortable with a backrest. My ST didn't have panniers so I just went soft bags as it was more important to have a backrest on longer rides. I can send you some better pictures if you think you could fabricate the Hepco Becker rack for your ST.
I'd be grateful for any help, my wife was pretty traumatized from the short rides she's spent on the back of my Daytona 675. I believe the words she used was "I felt like is was going to fly off the back and cartwheel into a painful broken bodied death at anytime"
So, I'd really like this experience to be comfortable for her as we are undertaking a pretty epic journey along super twisty roads for many miles and days.

Pics would be great, many thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got one!

Thanks all, fellow new member Fitzharris helped a brother out and now I've got the pieces I need for this trip shipping down from Oregon. Next step is to remove to original red color matched lid from the top box and swap it with a glossy black. Found good instructions over on an FJR site. Was thinking about pulling it off and painting it but opted to swap after reading about what a PITA it is to prep and paint this particular material.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts