Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple of months I’m going to get a GIVI rack for the ST3. On longer rides I need more space than what the two hard bags can hold plus I already have a GIVI top case that I use on my 954RR, so all I need to get is a rack for the ST3.

I’m curious what the ST3 will look like with a top case, I don’t see many people installing those on their ST’s.

Anyone have any pictures of a ST with a top case?

And do you feel any difference in the handing when the top case is on the bike?

·
Registered
319 Posts
You will need the Ducati top-case mounting brackets and you also need to modify the Givi mounting plate to be able to use the brackets. Because of the hole patterns on the Ducati top-case mounting brackets and Givi mounting plate, you need to drill two extra holes on the Givi mounting plate. I made the mistake of only using the two holes that were available instead of drilling two additional holes, thinking that was good enough. Although the two holes were enough for the mounting plate, the plastic mounting piece on the Ducati mounting brackets fatigued under the constant vibration and up and down motion of the bike and eventually the bolts broke through the plastic pieces. When that happened, the top-box fell off the bike and got destroyed. Fortunately this happened on a rural road and there was no-one behind me and nobody got hurt.

The new Ducati top-cases are made by Givi. This means you might be able to pick up just a new mounting plate from your dealer with mounting holes that match the holes in the mounting brackets but still match your existing Givi topbox. Take your topbox to the dealer to be sure that the mounting plate in fact matches your topbox.

I am attaching few pictures of my bike with the Givi top-box with and without panniers. BTW, I really liked my Givi box. I had installed the Givi lights in the box that worked with my taillight and brake light on the bike. It was really visible both during the day and at night.

-Fariborz

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fariborz,

Thanks for the info. That’s a bit more complicated than I would have imagined.

For my Honda I just bought a GIVI rack made for the 954RR and a GIVI top case. Shopped around for the cheapest prices on the web.

So you’re saying I can’t go out and buy a GIVI rack for the ST3 from a place that sells GIVI stuff? I can only get it from a Duc dealer. I saw the racks and cases in the Ducati catalog, but I wasn’t aware that I couldn’t buy one from another source.

·
Registered
319 Posts
VIVID1 said:
Thanks for the info. That’s a bit more complicated than I would have imagined.

For my Honda I just bought a GIVI rack made for the 954RR and a GIVI top case. Shopped around for the cheapest prices on the web.

So you’re saying I can’t go out and buy a GIVI rack for the ST3 from a place that sells GIVI stuff? I can only get it from a Duc dealer. I saw the racks and cases in the Ducati catalog, but I wasn’t aware that I couldn’t buy one from another source.
Anna,

It is actually not complicated at all. I just wanted you to know that if you use a standard Givi mounting plate and standard Ducati mounting brackets, you need to drill two extra holes to make the mounting plate work properly with the brackets.

I am not aware of any place other than a Ducati dealer where you can buy the mounting brackets for the ST, but I have not been looking for an alternative source either. I think if you are planning to use your existing Givi box, it is best to buy the mounting brackets and plate from a Ducati dealer even if the price is slightly higher. This way you know for sure that they will work on your bike, unless you can find another source who can guarantee they will work on your ST. I have also seen both the brackets and the topbox on eBay quite often. Since you are not in a hurry, that might be a pausable alternative.

-Fariborz

·
Registered
215 Posts
Top case

Anna,
I don't know what the price difference is between the Ducati and the Givi cases. They are EXACTLY (Givi makes the Ducati case) the same except for the mounting plates. If the price is not to out of line, you may want to consider the Ducati case for ease of attachment. No drilling, no special stuff.

Don

·
Registered
602 Posts
I purchased a topcase for my ST last season and I love it! Although Givi has taken over for manufacturing Ducati topcases, mine is the last styling of the Nonfango brand made for ducati. I had the dealer install it with my last tune-up but it looked to be a pretty straight forward install otherwise.

The bike feels great and well balanced in the twisties with the case on. No significant drag at highway speeds, although I'm sure is does add some, I just haven't felt it was that noticeable.

I can't speak from personal experience on the Givi cases but based on my readings of his postings, Fariborz really know his stuff. I'll attach a few pics of my bike so you can get another perspective on the general appearance of the ST with a top case. Best of luck with your ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm surprised...and maybe a bit dissapointed that Ducati has signed on with Givi for at least some product support/production. The Nonfango produced bags on ST's and MTS bikes are quite superb, imo. I noticed that Triumph this year has dropped Givi from production of their Sprint ST bags, which were notorious for wide mount, poor shape and leakage. The new model look strikingly similar to our ST bags, perhaps they too are Nonfango produced. My ST3 bags are not only watertight, I rarely see any accumulation of dust/dirt inside bags even when riding on windy days in desert. I certainly hope they do not turn to Givi for ST saddle bags in future.

To the Givi trunk fitment, yoyu did not mention if this is a new generation Monokey type product. If so, Givi offers a Monorack designed for fitment on the ST subframe but for reasons I cannot fathom, it is NOT compatible with the ST saddlebag mounts. They offer a "plate" for mounting Monokey trunk but no specific fitment for ST3. As others have stated, I'd get to Ducati dealer, with trunk in hand and see what can be fabbed or fitted. I suspect if in fact the ST trunk is now produced by Givi, that fitting a Givi labeled trunk should require little or no modification. The ST plate/rack may not be the cheapest means for attachment, but in long run, spending a couple more $$ for a product you know fits and is designed for your bike is probably the wise choice. Take care.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. I guess I'll just bring my top case to the dealer to make sure I can use it with the ST3. I just bought it last year, in silver to match the 954RR. It so happens the ST3 is silver too. It's a E360 Monokey. And I think the side cases on the 2005 STs are made by GIVI also. I like GIVI, I think they are quality cases.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
bigmac said:
I'm surprised...and maybe a bit disappointed that Ducati has signed on with Givi for at least some product support/production. The Nonfango produced bags on ST's and MTS bikes are quite superb, imo.
I don't believe Ducati changing over to Givi was by choice. Word on the internet last year was that Nonfango went out of business. I have had the same Nonfango 52 liter rear trunk (the "AWACS" trunk) on all three of my STs. Although some say it is cursed, I have had no trouble riding with it so long as I do not overload it. You can find photos in my photo gallery on the old Ducati.MS site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I had some pictures of my ST with the Givi (Ducati Performance) topcase mounted in the gallery of the old Ducati.ms and now can't find them anywhere. Anybody know how I can recover thos files, or are they gone forever?

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vivid1,
E-Bay is worth monitoring if you are not in a big rush. I've seen brand new hardware for the top mount on there a few times. You never know what you will find on E-Bay! I've picked up a lot of Ducati related items this past year on E-Bay and so far, no complaints.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Handling

To answer one of the other questions...

I can't tell a bit of difference in handling, and i take mine off and on frequently depending on how much I want to carry. I like the look better with it off, but it's not really objectionalbe. All things considered, I really like the utility of it (and everything else about my ST3).

Mine is the Givi-made Ducati model, which I installed myself, after waiting weeks for it to arrive direct from Italy right after the change from Nonfango. Wasn't difficult, except that the instructions were mostly in Italian (go figure) and illustrations were nearly useless - 25 minutes to scratch my head at the insturctions and 20 minutes to do the work, as I recall. Could be that after some time the instructions are better?

Don't know about your Givi, but mine pops right off by unlocking and pushing a button, so it's 15 seconds to go bare, and the rack left behind is very unobtrusive

·
Registered
3 Posts
LiquidSilver said:
Have you tried digging for it in here?

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

Now there's a link to it on the forums page.

:)
Yeah, I tried that and the link to the photos page on the old site just sent me to the new photes section. On the plus side, now the old pics seem to have migrated over. :yeah:

So now I guess I can post a picture to my Givi set up! (Or at least a link).
http://www.ducati.ms/pp/showphoto.php?photo=1984&password=&sort=1&cat=2&page=1

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear rack for Ducati ST3

I would like to put some hard luggage on the back of my ST3 but am unable to find a rack that will allow installation of a GIVI or SHAD hard case. Any ideas?
Thanks,
G

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but on the Givi site, it quite specifically states that you cannot mount the topcase with the orginial side cases purchased separately (I had gift cards for two separate dealers Duc and Kaw ;) ). I believe you have to change the orginial panniers (Nonfango) to Givi panniers. Or did I misread this? Here is the link....

http://www.givi.it/per_la_tua_moto.asp?co_id=995&lang=en

and the entire wing rack, for all three cases

http://www.givi.it/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=63
No so. I have an 01 ST4 that came with Nonfango panniers. In July 08, I ordered the DP/Givi mount part number 967015STAG from a local dealer. I then mounted up a Givi E460 case. It fit up perfectly with the DP mount as well as the existing Nonfango mounts. The only issue is that you need to remove the rubber grommets that the saddle bag mounts pass through as there is not enough room with the top case mount.

I have been carrying my 15in laptop in there for almost a year without a single issue. It has also been through a get off into a tree. Have a look at my gallery here.

It is a bit confusing, but very easy to install. I did it in the dealer parking lot with the ST's original tool kit.

The last time I looked the mount was approx $200. Considering the utility that it provides, that is a drop dead bargain if you have an existing trunk.

I also had E360s on my old bike. They will fit a laptop also. From what I can tell the E460 is just deeper for the most part.

Good luck.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I have had the same Nonfango 52 liter rear trunk (the "AWACS" trunk) on all three of my STs. Although some say it is cursed, I have had no trouble riding with it so long as I do not overload it. You can find photos in my photo gallery on the old Ducati.MS site.
A three and 1/2 year thread revival. I think that is a record.

My AWACS trunk may have indeed been cursed as last month I crashed in Northern California on our group's annual Spring Break ride. That was my third ST which was totaled while the AWACS trunk was mounted on it.

I made no attempt to recover the trunk as the bike was towed to a Ducati dealer in Medford, OR. If I replace it with another ST, I'll use the opportunity to buy a GIVI rear trunk, which is a much better design than the old Nonfango.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Bill,

Wow. I didn't notice that. I though Anna had a bag already mounted, but it's Monday you know.

If the probable new ST does not come with a top box, please be sure to inquire with a dealer first to see if that part number is available.

Good luck, I've seen some nice STs for sale lately.

Have a good one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts