Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to share pics of the Givi luggage I put on my DVT this spring. I put 21K miles on her in the first year and my biggest issue with her was the luggage.

I'm 5'6" and always seem to kick the saddlebag swinging my leg over so the Ducati saddlebags got beat up pretty well. Also the clamshell shape is annoying to me on a day to day basis and especially on trips. Things fall out if you don't keep the door propped open with your knee. The two saddlebags are not symmetric in volume or shape; they're not the best shape for efficient packing. I had the original lids replaced once under warranty because they started cracking on me (poor packing on my part, but the dealer got them warrantied).

Givi released racks for the DVT to accomodate the Outback sidecases and SW-MOTECH has racks for the Trekkers. I went with the Outbacks because I like the aluminum construction and the flipping top lid for access. The Trekkers are a hybrid clamshell/top opener. The Givi side racks accomodate the exhaust and both cases stick out equally far from the center line of the bike. I went with the 37L cases. They also have 42L but I those make your profile pretty wide. The racks accomodate the Ducati top case mount if you have one. The install very securely to the bike and the cases lock to the rack. Worth adding, if you buy a the cases in a pair, you get a third lock cylinder to use for a top case and the Ducati case also accepts this cylinder. I only need my fob key for the gas tank now.

I added a Givi V56 top case using a SW-MOTECH rack with Givi adapter plate. The V56 is a cavernous. If you already have the Ducati top case, that mount accomodates any Givi Monokey case without modification. I chose the V56 case instead of the Outback top case because it is bigger and I was able to add a LED kit from Admore which adds running/brake lights and turn signals to the case.

All said, it was an investment, but for the amount of riding I do, it keeps me much more sane. The 130L of cargo space means I can get all the gear for a multi-week trip into the luggage and not have to strap a single thing to the bike. It's always a drag to starting each morning of a trip spending time strapping things to the bike and exhausting ending each day unstrapping things.

For those who want links:

I was able to save a substantial amount of $ ordering the Givi items from Motostorm.it even after shipping costs and they arrived faster than most places in the US ship.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice touring setup!

You're right about the Ducati saddlebags being a PITA. I let vanity get the better of me & got the Ducati saddlebags & I regret having bought them every time I'm packing for a trip. And as you said, when I'm gone for more than a long weekend I'm strapping on an extra duffelbag or two or...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I really like the looks of the Givi side cases and I assume they are much more durable than the OEM's. Do the racks come off easily? I only use my panniers for longer trips; even my long day trips I usually put what I need in a tank bag or a Kriega and strap it on the passenger seat. Anything overnight or where I would want to change clothes at my destination the panniers come out.

I'd love to sell off my OEM's and go this route?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like the looks of the Givi side cases and I assume they are much more durable than the OEM's. Do the racks come off easily? I only use my panniers for longer trips; even my long day trips I usually put what I need in a tank bag or a Kriega and strap it on the passenger seat. Anything overnight or where I would want to change clothes at my destination the panniers come out.

I'd love to sell off my OEM's and go this route?
It wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to remove the racks off the bike.

Eric

·
Registered
88 Posts
Once I decided on the standard 1200S instead of the Enduro, I tried to get information on the Touratech Enduro bags fitment for the standard 1200.
Touratech didn't know but assumed they'd work, but Ducati said they wouldn't - different subframe. Touratech USA still doesn't have the aluminum panniers frames for the 2015/2016 available yet. Waiting on Germany they say, even though they are in the 2016 catalog.
I am used to top loading aluminum panniers, but got the Ducati bags for now. I don't care for them for all the reasons you listed, but they will have to do for now. Still good to see another option to the Touratech bags.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Those cases look really nice. Could have gone a la carte on these things before getting the "touring package" I guess. The inner bags sure make packing easy, at a cost though. I looked at the Enduro frame and honestly it looks the same. I mean why would it not be except that like the side stand foot, Touratech is told to be closed mouth and refer back to Ducati dealers, at least for the 15 and 16s, though they make the earlier models and sell them for less. I imagine Ducati simply has no package ready to go for the new bags as available accessories and sabotage their stock bags. Anyway, good to know and see other options. BTW can you stow a helmet in either of the side cases?

·
Registered
398 Posts
The cases look reasonably nice. The rack that they attach to, not so much. They look just like the f-ugly racks that BMW attaches to their bikes. That's the nice thing about the OEM panniers.

On trips that I've done, I use the top case for anything I will need to access during the ride and the panniers for clothes, camping gear that I only access at the beginning/end of the ride. I put groups of items in their own stuff sack with the elastic restraining straps holding all in place, so stuff falling out is not an issue. Good to hear that if I waste the stock ones, there are aftermarket options out there though-

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once I decided on the standard 1200S instead of the Enduro, I tried to get information on the Touratech Enduro bags fitment for the standard 1200.
Touratech didn't know but assumed they'd work, but Ducati said they wouldn't - different subframe. Touratech USA still doesn't have the aluminum panniers frames for the 2015/2016 available yet. Waiting on Germany they say, even though they are in the 2016 catalog.
I am used to top loading aluminum panniers, but got the Ducati bags for now. I don't care for them for all the reasons you listed, but they will have to do for now. Still good to see another option to the Touratech bags.
The Enduro's cases were a consideration, but the bags alone retial for $1900. The similarly priced Outbacks can be had for a 1/3 of the price...

Personally I'm not sure wht Ducati didn't work with Givi on the Enduro's bags. It's not like they haven't been making ADV cases for years and they're literally down the street from them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Enduro's cases were a consideration, but the bags alone retial for $1900. The similarly priced Outbacks can be had for a 1/3 of the price...

Personally I'm not sure wht Ducati didn't work with Givi on the Enduro's bags. It's not like they haven't been making ADV cases for years and they're literally down the street from them.
I assue that price is for all 3 bags ? I was looking at just the pannies, and I can get a discounted price at my Ducati Dealer. :D

My price for the Enduro bags would only be just over the total price for the panniers and framework shown in your links.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey puchika, thanks for posting this!

Indeed I'm considering buying the same Givi side cases. I have a doubt thought and maybe you can enlighten me. Together with the side cases I'd would buy the 58 trekker outback top case (555 mm of width). Do you think this could interfere with the side case opening? What the width at the base of your Maxia top case?

Thanks.
Wainer

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey puchika, thanks for posting this!

Indeed I'm considering buying the same Givi side cases. I have a doubt thought and maybe you can enlighten me. Together with the side cases I'd would buy the 58 trekker outback top case (555 mm of width). Do you think this could interfere with the side case opening? What the width at the base of your Maxia top case?

Thanks.
Wainer
The Trekker Outback top case is not as wide as my V56 case so you won't have any issues with opening the sidecase lids. My sidecase lids rub just the slighest against the top case, but isn't a problem for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Trekker Outback top case is not as wide as my V56 case so you won't have any issues with opening the sidecase lids. My sidecase lids rub just the slighest against the top case, but isn't a problem for me.
Thanks! This is a very good news indeed.

Wainer

·
Registered
2 Posts
PLX Racks with V35 Cases

I have a set of Givi V35 cases designed to fit all types of different bikes. I had them mounted with Quick-Detach racks made by SW-Motech for my 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R. They fit tight to the bike, and hold a helmet in each side. Decent quality, and the only thing I never liked was the clamshell opening (just like OEM Ducati).

Will there ever be racks to attach Givi V35 bags to the new DVT? I can google Multistrada V35 and find some pictures of an older model with them mounted...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a set of Givi V35 cases designed to fit all types of different bikes. I had them mounted with Quick-Detach racks made by SW-Motech for my 2012 Kawasaki ZX14R. They fit tight to the bike, and hold a helmet in each side. Decent quality, and the only thing I never liked was the clamshell opening (just like OEM Ducati).

Will there ever be racks to attach Givi V35 bags to the new DVT? I can google Multistrada V35 and find some pictures of an older model with them mounted...

I have a set of E360/E460 bags dating all the way back to when I had a CBRXX (5 bikes ago technically, although the multi replaced the bike from 4 bikes ago.)

For the Monokey topcase, you 'can' order all of the mounting parts for the Ducati Topcase. (Or just bite the bullet and order the Ducati one itself, which is what I did. Since I have 2 bikes, this leaves the E460 bag available for the other bike if I do want it...)

For the side cases, sw-motech is making brackets now. Just add the Monokey adapters. That's what I bought to mount them, vs waiting for Givi. My discussion with the Givi Corporate guys @ Bikeweek was that:
A) They have almost 0 input with corporate in italy on what really gets made.
B) THey have no idea if and when anything else for the multi will come out.

I didn't want to keep waiting and 'hope'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been meaning to share pics of the Givi luggage I put on my DVT this spring. I put 21K miles on her in the first year and my biggest issue with her was the luggage.

I'm 5'6" and always seem to kick the saddlebag swinging my leg over so the Ducati saddlebags got beat up pretty well. Also the clamshell shape is annoying to me on a day to day basis and especially on trips. Things fall out if you don't keep the door propped open with your knee. The two saddlebags are not symmetric in volume or shape; they're not the best shape for efficient packing. I had the original lids replaced once under warranty because they started cracking on me (poor packing on my part, but the dealer got them warrantied).

Givi released racks for the DVT to accomodate the Outback sidecases and SW-MOTECH has racks for the Trekkers. I went with the Outbacks because I like the aluminum construction and the flipping top lid for access. The Trekkers are a hybrid clamshell/top opener. The Givi side racks accomodate the exhaust and both cases stick out equally far from the center line of the bike. I went with the 37L cases. They also have 42L but I those make your profile pretty wide. The racks accomodate the Ducati top case mount if you have one. The install very securely to the bike and the cases lock to the rack. Worth adding, if you buy a the cases in a pair, you get a third lock cylinder to use for a top case and the Ducati case also accepts this cylinder. I only need my fob key for the gas tank now.

I added a Givi V56 top case using a SW-MOTECH rack with Givi adapter plate. The V56 is a cavernous. If you already have the Ducati top case, that mount accomodates any Givi Monokey case without modification. I chose the V56 case instead of the Outback top case because it is bigger and I was able to add a LED kit from Admore which adds running/brake lights and turn signals to the case.

All said, it was an investment, but for the amount of riding I do, it keeps me much more sane. The 130L of cargo space means I can get all the gear for a multi-week trip into the luggage and not have to strap a single thing to the bike. It's always a drag to starting each morning of a trip spending time strapping things to the bike and exhausting ending each day unstrapping things.

For those who want links:

I was able to save a substantial amount of $ ordering the Givi items from Motostorm.it even after shipping costs and they arrived faster than most places in the US ship.
Hi puchika,
Thanks for the post, you just cost me £800.... Lol,
I went for the oe side boxes in the touring kit but after fiddling about with them on our first trip I have been looking to get something different. Everybody I spoke to about the 15/16 multi kept referring me back to Ducati, so they seem to have got it pretty sewn up with regard to options!!
Even Givi UK when quizzed say they have nothing listed for the 15/16 models it's oe only!!
So I was really glad to find your post re these bags.
Thanks again,Dan.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went with the 37L cases. They also have 42L but I those make your profile pretty wide.
How much wider are they then the bar ends? The diagram states 48cm from center for the 37L and that is about the same as the bar ends from center, but in the picture they look much wider? :confused:

·
Registered
282 Posts
After almost a year are you still satisfied with this setup? How have they held up and are there any impact on handling and performance? I see Revzilla is now carrying the side cases and racks and I'm really considering a switch from the OEM panniers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm very satisfied with the set-up and have 18K+ miles on them. I do a lot of long distance riding and it's great not having to strap anything to the bike on my trips. Everything is well built and the luggage locks and also is locked to the rack/bike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If anyone is looking to make this switch and wants to offload their OEM pannies and top box... get at me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Finally got the Outback 37L panniers ordered and installed this weekend. Thanks for all the info OP. I did have two minor problems when installing.

1) The rear hex bolt on each passenger foot peg mount striped when trying to take them off. At first I panicked because a lot of the install videos I watched for various makes of bikes stated that some OEM hardware was re-used when installing the racks and I had thought I striped a bolt I needed to reuse. Fortunately, these are not reused. I got them out by tapping in a slightly larger torx bit into the striped head and it came right out.

2) The small clamp that clamps the exhaust heat shield to the rack would not line up properly making the provided screw not long enough. After playing around with it for a while I got it to work.

Givi is not much on instructions but if you take your time it's pretty easy.

I really like how the setup on the Multi is symmetrical thanks to the low and short exhaust. On many other make bikes I've seen with these one side sticks out a lot due to mounting over the exhaust. I didn't do an install video but here is a quick walk around after I was done.

I'll be listing my OEM panniers and RKA liners for sale here some time this week. If anyone is interested PM me.

https://youtu.be/OfjwhA7syuA

Thanks again for the info OP.

Reactions: puchika
1 - 20 of 25 Posts