Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heart dropped after I found this after our little Los Angeles rain storm over the weekend. Tank paint compromised! Definitely wasn't there before! I thought it was just a stain at first. Tried polishing off, but made it more clear. How bad does it look? Is there any hope?! Any recommendations to take care of this myself?

Idk if this makes a difference, but bike was kept outdoors sheltered under an overhang of our roof. There was a towel over the bike, but still was getting a little wet. But not like it could've gotten if completely unsheltered by our roof.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
By polishing do you mean power polishing or carnuba wax on rag? I've resurrected some extremely bad paint damage with a good polisher and proper compounds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By polishing do you mean power polishing or carnuba wax on rag? I've resurrected some extremely bad paint damage with a good polisher and proper compounds.
Sorry about that. By polish I mean some Bike Spirit Spray Cleaner & Polish and a microfiber towel. I'm not confident and savvy enough when it comes to body & paint work. I'm definitely up for the challenge, but also don't want to throw a bunch of chemicals on her and make matters worse.

what polisher/compounds did you use?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am not exactly sure what you're taking about. To me it's a little hard to see in the pictures on a phone. Looks like a lot of little scratches or the white mark on the edge of the tank. But like Flatgod says, it can probably be fixed with a proper polishing. If it was mine, I think it would be worth taking to a good detail-er if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Can you feel that crap with your fingers? If so, then just buy a clay bar kit from Meguiars or something. It's super easy, you tube instructions.

Don't be scared....don't be rough with it. But clay has transformed a lot of paints on bikes and cars I've hard. Need to do my s1000s as well. It's surface is all kinda "splotchy"

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
On the other hand, if it is actually a chip in the paint, that goes through your clearcoat and down to your base paint layer, then you want to get that professionally fixed ASAP. You don't say what type, year, model, et. you've got, but on some older Ducs, the paint under the clearcoat could be separated from the clearcoat by water. Mine started with a chip like that, then every time the tank got wet, a bubble under the clearcoat expanded, and flaked off, and eventually, my red shiny tank was mostly a dull faded pink, with clearcoat only remaining on the bottom surfaces. I called it "character" and "patina", and it certainly made my Monster distinctive, but you may not want to go that way. Pics below.

PhilB

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Can you feel that crap with your fingers? If so, then just buy a clay bar kit from Meguiars or something. It's super easy, you tube instructions.

Don't be scared....don't be rough with it. But clay has transformed a lot of paints on bikes and cars I've hard. Need to do my s1000s as well. It's surface is all kinda "splotchy"
Clay is clay. Get it from the toy store, lots cheaper.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I can barely feel it. It may be hard to tell from the photos, but if you zoom in, it looks more like bubbling... But I am familiar with clay bar kits, not too sure it's anything a clay bar detail kit will fix though. But can't knock it til you try it! Thanks for the suggestion

On the other hand, if it is actually a chip in the paint, that goes through your clearcoat and down to your base paint layer, then you want to get that professionally fixed ASAP. You don't say what type, year, model, et. you've got, but on some older Ducs, the paint under the clearcoat could be separated from the clearcoat by water. Mine started with a chip like that, then every time the tank got wet, a bubble under the clearcoat expanded, and flaked off, and eventually, my red shiny tank was mostly a dull faded pink, with clearcoat only remaining on the bottom surfaces. I called it "character" and "patina", and it certainly made my Monster distinctive, but you may not want to go that way. Pics below.

PhilB
it's a 2006 sport 1000. it appears to be bubbling on the clear coat. definitely don't want this tank to dull. LOL i agree with bikes having character and like yours! but I want this baby to have a real nice shiny character! thanks for sharing, Phil!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the clear coat is bubbling or flaking than it will need to be sanded and re-coated, but like stated earlier take it to a professional first.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If it looks like finger or palm prints, I had the same issue on my seat cowl. It happens if hand oils get on the paint before the clearcoat is applied. Different temp/humidity will bring it out. I was told that wet sanding could help, buffing didn't have any effect. On my bike, I had kept it outside for a while but never saw it until I kept it in a garage and it suddenly appeared. Some days it showed more than others.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wet sand it with 1500 and then 2000 grit in a crosshatch pattern; then bring it in to a professional detail place to buff it out. It will probably cost you about 80 to a 100 bucks to have buffed out to gloss.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
End of the day if its purely cosmetic there's no reason to panic. You an always repaint it, it's not expensive. This could be worse. your tank could spread air deform, as it's happened to so many on here.

If your bike sleeps outside, I'd recommend a proper outdoor cover, otherwise you'll have rusty bits on there in no time. (Oil cooler lines, screws etc...). Get something like a UK brand (Oxford or something like that)... it will help keep moisture out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts