Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about the Giuseppe Starace airbox for my 2013 821. Is it worth it? By the time I get the box, filter and upmap I'm close to $800.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wont help you now but I ordered one back at the end of May, as soon as it gets here and I get a chance to install I'll report back with my findings and let you know.

·
Registered
317 Posts
100% worth it. The bike is breathig through a straw right now. There is a reason the old termi kits came with an enlarged intake cover with their system. The bike will rev quicker and pull harder throughout the rpm. Any other mods wil be very little gains without his system. As long as its vreating through a straw you can only do so much with a tuner and exhaust.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you kidding? How long does it take to arrive? That'sthe only thing I've seen is insane shipping times. Is this the fault of the Italian postal service or some other reason?

Wont help you now but I ordered one back at the end of May, as soon as it gets here and I get a chance to install I'll report back with my findings and let you know.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think he only makes them after an an order is placed. Been wanting to get this for a while now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
He will soon be living in the states so the post office BS will nolonger be an issue. With their random strikes and the whe covid situation it was difficult to send things from Italy to the states.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He will soon be living in the states so the post office BS will nolonger be an issue. With their random strikes and the whe covid situation it was difficult to send things from Italy to the states.
Actually getting it in less than a couple months is a concern along with is it actually worth it. 5 more HP at most for a little under a grand? IDK I may just hold off.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Are you kidding? How long does it take to arrive? That'sthe only thing I've seen is insane shipping times. Is this the fault of the Italian postal service or some other reason?
I think he only makes them after an an order is placed. Been wanting to get this for a while now.
The shipping from Italy has been horrid lately. It's not the fault of Starace, at least not completely. I have been waiting over a month for an item from Brixia Moto. The tracking on it said that it was leaving Italy on May 11th. Finally on June 14th, it shows it in Chicago. That's one slow-ass boat.

Dave

Reactions: araitim

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm on the fence with getting one. I really can't see the justification for 7 more HP for $800. Those 7 extra ponies would make a difference on the track but otherwise negligible. Torque and overall smoothness may improve along with throttle response but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have. Right now, I'm trying to get to the bottom of hard start issues when the engine his at operating temperature. Just ordered the MOTOLECTRIC HICAP starter wiring to see if this is going to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Received my RSR airbox yesterday, very impressed with the engineering that has gone into this piece. Giuseppe was awesome to deal with and was quick with answering my (many) questions.

Shipping was slower than usual but no fault of his, Not sure about the rest of the world but Canada Post is an utter disaster. I'm still waiting on packages from the US that were ordered before this intake and this arrived from Italy before any of the North America packages.

Install was a pain in the ass, Ducati has done a great job of burying the airbox and an even better job of making the front right screw on the lid assembly nearly impossible to get out. It was a solid 2-beer job with some sweat and a lot of swearing.

There are some big numbers thrown out up above in this thread on price, not sure where they are coming from? This kit was 300 euro's shipped to Canada, I believe that's around $340 usd? Compared to the stock set-up, worth every penny in my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the cost of the airbox but you'll also need the upmap T800 for another $350 or so. Report in on your findings of how it runs now. I'm particularly interested in low rpm and if any of the surging, lurching is still present or fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Late reply here guys, sorry..been busy riding! :)

For reference my bike is a 2018 939 SP

So..the RSR airbox lid and filter, just as the pictures above, high quality piece and I was really impressed with the engineering and thought that went into this product. I installed three items in sequence just to see how they all performed on their own or in conjunction out of my own curiosity, first being the RSR, second being the T800 upmap and third being the SC Projects slip on exhaust. After I installed each item individually I took the bike for a spirited 30-45 min ride.

First up, the intake alone (standard exhaust, standard tune) Much more noticeable intake sound, maybe a slightly smoother pull in the higher RPM but it could be the increased intake sound playing tricks on the butt dyno. Hesitation and stumble still prominent in the 3k to 5k rpm range. (although I didn't expect the intake alone to have any effect as this is a fueling issue) Certainly hear the intake sucking in more air but that's obvious given the pics above.

Second up, RSR intake with the T800 UpMap. (standard exhaust) After speaking with Giuseppe he suggested I use the Map for Termignoni exhaust D133 and STARACE RSR kit (No DB killer) for the SC exhaust I chose. Standard exhaust was obviously choking things up but the bike was way smoother, almost like flicking on a light switch. There was still a very slight stumble in the 3k to 5k range but nothing like before. Smoother acceleration, easier of the line.
I'm fairly confident if you just ran the intake and the correct upmap for the RSR and the stock muffler it would be spot on.

Third, the SC Projects exhaust, db killer removed, RSR intake and upmap obviously. This changed the bike again, hesitation pretty much non existent, pulls hard through to redline, smooth as silk, couldn't wipe the grin off my face.
I ended up putting the DB killer back in (little too loud for me) so in hindsight I probably should have chose the other map (Map for Termignoni exhaust D133 and STARACE RSR kit - with DB killer) but Giuseppe suggested drilling a couple extra holes in the DB killer if I needed to run with it, little more flow but no extra noise..worked perfect.

This is how this bike should have come from the factory, hands down. I know this isn't easy with Euro 4 but c'mon Ducati. Honesty, I was having some serious buyers remorse after the first 5 tanks of gas, the terrible fueling was making this bike difficult to ride in town or in the lower rpm...it was fun as hell if you were slamming through the gears skipping over the flat spots and stumbles with a full twist of the throttle but you can't ride like that all the time. My daughter (12) loves jumping on the back of my bikes now and then but it was nearly impossible to ride this one smooth. (I have a few other bikes in the garage that didn't come out of the box like this..not this bad)

Anyway, it's all fixed now..the bike is super smooth, certainly feels like it hits harder and pulls smoother through the entire rev range and the sound coming out of the pipe is music to my ears.

So to answer the initial question above..is it worth it..I would say yes, with the upmap and exhaust the bike is transformed. A big thanks to Giuseppe, he was always quick to answer my questions and give advice!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Late reply here guys, sorry..been busy riding! :)

For reference my bike is a 2018 939 SP

So..the RSR airbox lid and filter, just as the pictures above, high quality piece and I was really impressed with the engineering and thought that went into this product. I installed three items in sequence just to see how they all performed on their own or in conjunction out of my own curiosity, first being the RSR, second being the T800 upmap and third being the SC Projects slip on exhaust. After I installed each item individually I took the bike for a spirited 30-45 min ride.

First up, the intake alone (standard exhaust, standard tune) Much more noticeable intake sound, maybe a slightly smoother pull in the higher RPM but it could be the increased intake sound playing tricks on the butt dyno. Hesitation and stumble still prominent in the 3k to 5k rpm range. (although I didn't expect the intake alone to have any effect as this is a fueling issue) Certainly hear the intake sucking in more air but that's obvious given the pics above.

Second up, RSR intake with the T800 UpMap. (standard exhaust) After speaking with Giuseppe he suggested I use the Map for Termignoni exhaust D133 and STARACE RSR kit (No DB killer) for the SC exhaust I chose. Standard exhaust was obviously choking things up but the bike was way smoother, almost like flicking on a light switch. There was still a very slight stumble in the 3k to 5k range but nothing like before. Smoother acceleration, easier of the line.
I'm fairly confident if you just ran the intake and the correct upmap for the RSR and the stock muffler it would be spot on.

Third, the SC Projects exhaust, db killer removed, RSR intake and upmap obviously. This changed the bike again, hesitation pretty much non existent, pulls hard through to redline, smooth as silk, couldn't wipe the grin off my face.
I ended up putting the DB killer back in (little too loud for me) so in hindsight I probably should have chose the other map (Map for Termignoni exhaust D133 and STARACE RSR kit - with DB killer) but Giuseppe suggested drilling a couple extra holes in the DB killer if I needed to run with it, little more flow but no extra noise..worked perfect.

This is how this bike should have come from the factory, hands down. I know this isn't easy with Euro 4 but c'mon Ducati. Honesty, I was having some serious buyers remorse after the first 5 tanks of gas, the terrible fueling was making this bike difficult to ride in town or in the lower rpm...it was fun as hell if you were slamming through the gears skipping over the flat spots and stumbles with a full twist of the throttle but you can't ride like that all the time. My daughter (12) loves jumping on the back of my bikes now and then but it was nearly impossible to ride this one smooth. (I have a few other bikes in the garage that didn't come out of the box like this..not this bad)

Anyway, it's all fixed now..the bike is super smooth, certainly feels like it hits harder and pulls smoother through the entire rev range and the sound coming out of the pipe is music to my ears.

So to answer the initial question above..is it worth it..I would say yes, with the upmap and exhaust the bike is transformed. A big thanks to Giuseppe, he was always quick to answer my questions and give advice!!
Great this is exactly what I was hoping for! My RSR is on the way from Giuseppe. I just got the T800 in but haven't had the time to finish putting my Hyper back together. I had to ditch the OEM starter because it SUCKS and I have a Denso that is going to go on soon. The stumble on mine is pretty bad I can't believe that Ducati can't get it's act together over these two major glaring issues and maybe they have on the new Hypers but not my 2013 821. I also have some SW-Motech handguards with turn signals that I'm putting on as well. They aren't offered by SW-Motech as an option but I took a chance and ordered them anyway because I couldn't see how they can't work. Two mounting spots, the bar end and a raised mounting bracket off the handlebar. I've been emailing back and forth with SW-Motech telling them that they are missing the mark by not offering it as a fitment because the Ducati handguards also SUCK as I broke mine trying to save my bike from a tip over. They offer zero protection except from a bug hitting your hand. The SW-Motechs have an aluminum spine in them so there is some protection there I guess if you are riding through a jungle and a branch hits your hand or something. :ROFLMAO:😅😂 Anyay, I'm hijacking my own thread so back to the RSR. Leaving for a week on vaca so I won't be back on mine anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
On the shipping time topic a data point: I ordered something for my BMW from Germany and it was 3 weeks from when DHL got it to my door step on the east coast.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Be prepared to wait.
Wait for him to produce it. Wait for him to ship it. Wait for him to provide tracking.
In my case, I don't even know if he's made it, much less shipped it.
I've had an RBE sitting on my bench for a month, waiting to install because I don't want to tear the bike down twice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts