Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a short ride yesterday still recovering from a nasty cold. I saw this creepy abandoned cemetery and decided to check it out. It was closed but the gate was open enough to squeeze my bike thru. Don't disturb closed cemeteries or at least make sure your bolts/nuts are torqued to proper specs!???

Exiting the freeway at about 65 MPH I tapped my rear brake to get ready for a nice curve and I had none! I felt a little jolt that almost made me loose control! After I pulled over I found this!:confused:

The nut for the rear brake stabilizer rod mysteriously came loose and the rod whipped under the bike and smacked my rear fairing. I'm sure is could have been worse. A tiny scratch on the fairing but the rod end was toast. Luckily I had a spare non anodized one.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
692 Posts
Pre-Flight check!!!!

Glad to hear nothing happened to you! Everything else is replaceable! It reminds us to at least try to do a PRE-FLIGHT (ride) check every time before going out on a ride!!!;) at least the most important parts like axle nuts, chain master link, sprockets, calipers brakes, oil leaks (close to rear tire) etc.!!

Vickon:abduct:

·
Registered
158 Posts
WoW.. Crazy ride man. Def gonna rem that one for years. Guess I will be doing that pre-ride walk around more often.

On a side note. What in the world made Ducati change from an EZ chain adjust swingarm like your bike to the craptastic moving guides my 02 has?

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Wow

Glad the bike is o.k. and you too. Wire tie that thing back or lite lock tight? That could of been very bad!!

I try to check things that I've changed or replace on my bike just to make sure things are nice and tight down the road!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just went out and gave all the bolts I could find the once over. Fairing bolt was backed out a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Chix-ing Stripe

Sure is a big one on that rear tire? Looks like maybe a inch.

One Word: Track;)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You are indeed a very lucky man.Perhaps the ghost is the one that saved your butt from a locked rear wheel and probable highside at 65mph. If that caliper had swung up and jammed in the swingarm you'd have been toast.

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
@M5zealot
If I remember correctly, there was Ducati recall on the rear break bolts. I will see if I can find the receipt for the work done on my 97.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would think a small strap/wire like a negitive ground loop eye would hold the rod if it were to come off after the recall fix. Small insurance like some car driveshafts have to prevent jacknifing.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your concerns! Yes, I had trouble sleeping last night thinking this could have been a lot worse. Vickon has suggested using some thread lock on bolts. I use it occasionally on my cars but will use it on the Duc from now on.:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
The brake tie rod bolts normally have a nyloc lock nut on them. Had some one worn this out (lots of removing and replacing can do this) or replaced it with a plain nut?

Double check that it was the bolt that came out and not the rose joint failing - these can get sloppy and eventually pop out over time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts