Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Multistrada Touring is new (800 miles) and occasionally when downshifting from 6 gear to 5 it will go into neutral. I was told that after the 600 miles servicing it should go away, but it happened once since I did the servicing a couple of weeks ago....Anyone with similar issues?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 2016 Multistrada Touring is new (800 miles) and occasionally when downshifting from 6 gear to 5 it will go into neutral. I was told that after the 600 miles servicing it should go away, but it happened once since I did the servicing a couple of weeks ago....Anyone with similar issues?
Yeah thats pretty usual. 6th to 5th & even from 5th to 6th.
Make sure you slot it in properly. You will get used to it.
Another hack is - lower the gear shifter position by a few degrees (not too much). that should help you slot easily.

Cheers & Ride safe!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yip I also manage to hit the dreaded neutral. It's worse after a long ride and the ankle gets tired of the movement and doesn't bang it into gear... Find its worse on up shifts

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yup, me too. Usually 5->6 until I got more time on the Multi and now up shift with a little more authority. Hasn't happened now in about 1000 miles.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My '10 used to, but it hasn't in a long time. I don't know if it improved with miles or if I adjusted technique.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The shifters are generally spline mounted. Having the shifter on the exact best spline for your posture, dimensions, etc. can help a lot. Otherwise, you can wear the muscles out that make a good shift on a long local ride. I hated that when I was tired and ended up in a neutral. The challenge of selecting a gear after that without a dissatisfying noise actually had me finding it preferable to just stop and put it into first gear. Otherwise, it would ruin the whole ride for me. Rotated a couple splines after seeing someone's post and it's a rare event now and only the result of the gearbox shifting so effortlessly that I forget the very best thing is to be crisp.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have the same issue between 5-6th....not sure if it's being lazy though as I find it feels different.... The bike is new, so not sure if I should mention it at the service which is due next week. When I've had this sort of thing in the passed, an oil change has normally sorted it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've hit a couple of false neutrals, I think it's me most of the time just getting lazy on the shifter.

If you get it a lot, there is an adjustment that can be made inside the left engine cover that can tune how the gear lever works on the shifter drum.

On earlier models it was done by trial and error, but it appears the MS needs a special tool to set it.

Screw 1 locks it in place

·
Registered
55 Posts
Plenty of false neutrals on the Multi. You have to shift very deliberately.

I'm going to try one of these.
The adjustable length allows you to complete the shift with less movement at the lever.

I shall report back how that works.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm used to riding my BMW S1000XR which has a quickshifter and a very smooth/short throw. I have to remind myself for a while on the MTS to more "deliberately" shift and even then I occasionally get a false neutral ( usually between 5 and 6). The same thing happened on my Diavel.

Will be interested in the feedback on the Sato Shift Arm.

Keep us all posted. Be safe .

D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just picked up a used '15 with 700 miles. I've got a few false neutrals on my way home. I found that being deliberate while shifting happened less. Hoping that it gets better with mileage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It got less false neutrals with km added on the bike.
Now at 15780 km I cant remember when it accured last time.

So it gets better with added km on the bike :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Plenty of false neutrals on the Multi. You have to shift very deliberately.

I'm going to try one of these.
The adjustable length allows you to complete the shift with less movement at the lever.

I shall report back how that works.
The furthest out mounting position on the Sato Shift Arm is pretty much the same as stock. I tried the next one in.
I think it’s great. The new ratio means slightly less movement at the shift lever with slightly more effort required.
To me, shifts are much more precise. Totally worth it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Based upon the initial results, I bought one of the Sato Racing shift levers as well. Put it on the 2016 MTS1200S about a week ago.

I used the second hole down and can confirm that the shifting is much less likely to hit a false neutral and is more "crisp" in my opinion.

I can now move between the S1000XR and the MTS 1200S much, much easier and find the shifting to be much closer to equal. I did not notice much , if any, difference in the level of effort on the MTS but the shorter throw is well worth the $75 (US) for me.

Cheers, D

Reactions: shil

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2016 also. Have not noticed that problem. I did notice that after my first service, it seemed more difficult to find neutral after shifting down to first.

I think it will all be better when she is actually broken in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
After a couple of weeks now with the Sato Racing shift lever installed, I can report that the "false" neutrals have disappeared. I can not say that the results were solely the result of the Sato Shift lever (maybe I'm just more "careful" shifting now) but I thin it is an inexpensive, quick & beneficial mod.

Recommended if you switch often between the Duc and other manufacturers bikes and/or are a "lazy" shifter (no pun intended!).

Cheers, & Safe Riding.

Reactions: shil
1 - 20 of 20 Posts