Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes my first post and its a wierd one.Just purchased an 02 ST4s on ebay and was delivered yesterday by JB shipping,stay away from that one.The bike handnt been cleaned in years,looked good in the photos,but everything scummy.Looks like a job for S100 I says,so of I go to the Harley dealer in Durango 50 miles away.When I arrive the lot is full of H/Ds as this is a big Rally weekend.I pull up and shut it down and it just keeps thumping,I pull the key out and flip the bar switch and it just keeps thumping on one cylinder.Finally I puts it in gear jam on both brakes and let the clutch out,it strains mightally and finally quits.The question is ,Whats up and why did this happen at a Harley shop,The other question is why did I have to ride home in a hail storm in a tshirt.Thats life in Colorado,I love the Forum,You guys are great,Cheers ,David

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Sounds like the starter solenoid was stuck in the start position. Sometimes they do that (hasn't happened to me yet...but I've heard of bikes that it has happened on). Too bad it had to happen at the HD dealer. One more reason for "them" the hate "us".

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Stick.Im thinking its a problem with the sidestand switch immobilizer thats installed on the bike.What I dont know is,should I just remove the wiring,or is there origonal wiring to be reinstalled?By the way ,I reedemed myself on the ride back to Cortez in the hailstorm,I just tucked in and rode on as the"bikers" huddled under the trees,poor girls.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Not sure about the side stand mod you're referring to. There is a switch on the side stand as OEM to keep thebike from running if you shift into gear with the stand deployed. My 1998 was "easy" 'cuz a spring flipped up the stand for you! Now I'm getting use to the 2003 method!

Cool with the tucking! How big was the hail? I'm sure you felt it on your hands, still?

I started with the RE: to mention that IF you need a new solenoid, you don't have to use an OEM Ducati part. If you do a search, I know there are people in here (maybe not ST specific), that have used alternates. Cripe, the one from my garden tractor would prolly work...

·
Still needs a life.
12,590 Posts
Thanks for the reply Stick.Im thinking its a problem with the sidestand switch immobilizer thats installed on the bike.What I dont know is,should I just remove the wiring,or is there origonal wiring to be reinstalled?
Not sure about the side stand mod you're referring to. There is a switch on the side stand as OEM to keep thebike from running if you shift into gear with the stand deployed.
There are aftermarket devices which bypass the EOM switch which keeps the bike from being started with the sidestand down, even if the bike is in neutral. My 02-ST4s had such a device that had been installed by the previous owner.

My bike subsequently had starting problems which were traced to that aftermarket device. Once the device was removed, no more startng problems and I could live with having to warm up the bike on its centerstand.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ghost in the machine

Thanks again for the reply Sticky.I hope I didnt offend anyone by calling the "bikers" girls.Its just that they present themselves as so "macho".I have four daughters and six granddaughters that all ride sportbikes, one a MV F4,they call the "bikers" Fems,I just take their lead,Thanks ,David

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If you want to do the kickstand bypass the cheap way you can just remove the little cylinder that is fitted to the stand making sure it is in the up position (so it will run) and then zip tie it in place. (you'll see what I mean if you do it) Then tuck it up behind the fairing and zip tie it somewhere safe. I've done this and have had zero issues with it and it only cost me two zip ties........:D

Just be damn sure to put the side stand up before taking off or you might regret it....

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The other important thing is if you use the center stand (after temporarily using the side stand). You have to make sure the side stand is up before attempting a "ride-off" (shoving fwd. while all your weight is on the machine...). If the side stand is down, and you do this, you have a chance of breaking the engine case.

Note: I use to really like the self-retracting side stand! I got really use to the "old tech" solution!

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies!Actually the question was not about the sidestand,but why it continued to run after the key was removed and the switch shut off.They call it "dieseling" in the car world,Cheers,David

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!Actually the question was not about the sidestand,but why it continued to run after the key was removed and the switch shut off.They call it "dieseling" in the car world,Cheers,David
It sounds like the bike may not have been well-maintained in it's previous life based upon your description.

Running rich could cause carbon deposits in the combustion chamber which would increase compression and could cause an exhaust valve to not be closing completely. Because valves rely on good seating to conduct heat away from the valve, a valve that is not seating can become very hot. Hot enough to ignite the fuel/air mixture, particularly if the compression has been boosted by carbon deposits. That is what you are referring to as dieseling. However, dieseling needs a fuel/air mixture to sustain itself, something that should not exist after the ECU is shut down. So I would suspect an ECU problem, a sticky relay or maybe a bad ground. The fact that it only runs on one cylinder would seem to indicate a strange fault with the ECU.

Just a few wild guesses. This is a very rare problem and the cause may involve more than one fault.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also recently bought an '02 ST4s that was very neglected prior to my buying it (stored outdoors,all mechanical parts covered in sludge, etc.) Get a service manual, (very helpful.) I had battery/charging/intermittent starting issues when I first bought what I call my "rescue." Before you spend any money on a mechanic, I would take the fairings and seat off, prop the gas tank up and go through all the bike's wiring, checking for frayed wires, split insulation, corrosion or gunk on all the grounds, fuses and any switches you can access. It seems the ST's are very sensitive to this kind of stuff. Clean all the connections, fuses, switches and replace any frayed wire or wire with split insulation.

I would also recommend going through the starter, solenoid and ground cables and replacing them with better gauge wiring. (you can find the posts for this on this website.) Powerlet makes a kit you can buy on-line for this, but I just went to Home Depot and for less than $15 I upgraded to #4-6 gauge wire from battery to starter relay & from starter relay to starter & the grounding strap to engine. Ducati went cheap here with #8-10 wire and they caused me starter problems, slow cranking, etc. Also replace the 6 cable lugs/connectors - 2 each for cables battery to ground, battery to solenoid, and solenoid to starter. I then sprayed all these connections with black liquid plastic spray on insulation (Wal-mart, in the auto parts section) to ensure these connections would stay clean & dry.

I don't know if this will directly fix your immediate problem but it couldn't hurt and will give you peace of mind for future riding.

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike.I think you have hit it.I changed the plugs today and did a fast 100miler up the canyon and back,ran perfect.Checking back on the supplied service records,this bike is on its fourth ECU!This week Ill pull all the fairings off and clean and coat every connecter I can find,hopefullyIt will be exorsized.Cheers David

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chitownson,we are on the same page,thanks for reply.Luckily,in a previous early life I was an electrician.On other Ducatis,dating back to my first new one,a 1974 GT750,Ive always had some electrical problems.Life in the fast lane!Cheers,David

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the thoughtfull replies.The service records show regular service intervals,but they also show this bike is on its fourth ECU!Thats a lot of ECUs,and a new starter,and these Japanese starters are bullet proof.Well the next step is remove all fairings and clean and coat all connectors.Purchased a Batteryminder and will use diligently,hopefully it will soon be exorsized.Italians can design great macines but fail in the electrical dept,maybe thats why the burn so many candles in Italy,Cheers,David

·
Registered
324 Posts
David,

In your second post you mention a sidesand switch imobilizer that you are thinking of removing.

If it is similar to the Evoluzion unit that I recently purchased, I suggest that you remove at once. It plugs into the OME sidestand wiring at two places Right and left side of engine) and can be removed in 5 minutes restoring the OEM wiring to its original configuration. The engine will not run with the sidestand down even in neutral (The way Ducati designed it).

I was told by JP, a tech at Boulder Motorsports, that these after-market kits can harm the ECU. No telling if that is the cause of your problem. I put a new ECU in my 4s @ 26,000 miles. They early 4ss were know to be built with a "bad batch" of ECU. I have not heard of another 4s that has had 4 ECUs so something is going on with your bike. I now have 20,000 miles on by second ECU with no problems.

Yes, riding in hail is part of riding in Colorado. Riding in a tee shirt is another story. The 4s came with bags and plenty of room for gear. Never a need to be caught out in your underwear.

Jeff in Snowmass Village

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeff,thanks for the info.After reading many posts I had a suspicion that the side stand aftermarket wiring could be the problem.This wiring was installed early in the bikes life and surely could have contributed to the continued ECU problems.Its coming off today!By the way I rarely ride in my underware,It was just one of those days,Cheers,David

·
Registered
138 Posts
David,

In your second post you mention a sidesand switch imobilizer that you are thinking of removing.

If it is similar to the Evoluzion unit that I recently purchased, I suggest that you remove at once. It plugs into the OME sidestand wiring at two places Right and left side of engine) and can be removed in 5 minutes restoring the OEM wiring to its original configuration. The engine will not run with the sidestand down even in neutral (The way Ducati designed it).

I was told by JP, a tech at Boulder Motorsports, that these after-market kits can harm the ECU. No telling if that is the cause of your problem. I put a new ECU in my 4s @ 26,000 miles. They early 4ss were know to be built with a "bad batch" of ECU. I have not heard of another 4s that has had 4 ECUs so something is going on with your bike. I now have 20,000 miles on by second ECU with no problems.

Yes, riding in hail is part of riding in Colorado. Riding in a tee shirt is another story. The 4s came with bags and plenty of room for gear. Never a need to be caught out in your underwear.

Jeff in Snowmass Village
Jeff, I've also been dealing with electrical gremlins on my 4s and also have the evolutionize bypass side stand.....So to remove it do all I need to do is take the two places (right and left side of the engine) and remove the plugs?

·
Banned
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ghost in the machineHey

Hey Jeff and Volley.Well the Evolucine is removed.Start at the leftside fairing vent and remove the braid covered wiring and connector,the origonal will plug right in.Trace the wiring back to the right side of the bike anfd continue to remove.The only problem I encountered was a pigtail wound onto the Evolucine that went to the nuetral indicator relay on the rear of motor,just a cut of wire stuck in the relay.It started fine and shut off when the sidestand was raised,the only problem now is replacing the nuetral light indicator relay,I sure hope it has a pigtail.Thanks Jeff and thanks for Dzus fasteners!Cheers,David

·
Registered
324 Posts
David,

I suggest you go to ducati.com and download the ST4s parts manual. The diagrams are great and it makes it easy to order parts by phone. You will want your neutral light to work. There is a switch (not a relay) threaded into the back of the transmission (near the lower shock mount) with a single wire (it provides a ground to the neutral light when a finger in the trans is in the correct position). About 10 inches from the switch is a waterproof connector. That is where the sidestand devise was inserted. Just reconnect the wire from the switch to the wire to the neutral light.

I can't be sure this was your problem. Keep us posted.

Jeff in Snowmass Village

1 - 20 of 24 Posts