Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pants may be too slippery, maybe the seat, i don't know, but I think it may be that the ride height is slanted forward too much. I slide forward up against the gas tank and it's relly hard to hold myself back with my arms. I weigh a little less than the last owner. How should I go about leveling the ride without changing the bike's feel? any other suggestions? Maybe I should just wear a cup for those bumpy back roads :think:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
What bike? I fitted a Sargent seat to my 916 and now I don't slide into the tank like before, my 'jewels' thank me...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
...it's relly hard to hold myself back with my arms...
Then don't hold yourself back with your arms. ;) Lower torso strength is what you want to use to move your upper body around, not your arms pushing against the bars - that is tiring and can pretty much ruin the way the bike "seems" to handle.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Castration seems to be the only solution here

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then don't hold yourself back with your arms. ;) Lower torso strength is what you want to use to move your upper body around, not your arms pushing against the bars - that is tiring and can pretty much ruin the way the bike "seems" to handle.
It's a 999s. I don't usually hold myself back from the tank with my arms, but once in a while I just can't take it anymore and have to let my junk breathe.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
It's a 999s. I don't usually hold myself back from the tank with my arms, but once in a while I just can't take it anymore and have to let my junk breathe.
Stock seat? Is your (bikes) back end jacked up?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have tried the box method and it failed miserably. It increased pressure on my wedding vegetables and reduced mobility side to side.

As someone mentioned above, getting a different seat might be an option. Changing the footpegs will also help. I luckily had adjustable pegs and setting them to a different position has helped my legs contribute better to holding me in place.

·
Mama tried
1,484 Posts
+1, Use your legs and stomach. your ride will be much more comfortable in the long run.

·
9,757 Posts
Get a sargent seat. They've got more padding, especially up front.

I personally don't like the lack of "feel", but they're definitely more comfy.

Also maybe look in to a set of stomp grip pads to grip the tank better with your legs/lower body and take some weight off your arms.

other than that, work on your core strength. Like someone else said you shouldn't be leaning your weight on to your arms.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Also maybe look in to a set of stomp grip pads to grip the tank better with your legs/lower body and take some weight off your arms.
Bingo. The 999 has a very narrow tank and does not offer much to grip with your legs, especially on a smooth painted surface. A traction pad like Stomp or Tech Pad will be just the ticket for giving your marbles the appropriate elbow room.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I know how to ride and all about the core strength, etc. It has a stock seat.

I guess I should have asked more specific questions. Are the seats "supposed" to slant forward (is it "a race thing")? How do I know if my bike is level (or set correctly)? Can the ride height in the rear be adjusted without changing the stiffness of the suspension?

·
Registered
2001 ST4, 2002 M750S, 2008 848
264 Posts
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I know how to ride and all about the core strength, etc. It has a stock seat.

I guess I should have asked more specific questions. Are the seats "supposed" to slant forward (is it "a race thing")? How do I know if my bike is level (or set correctly)? Can the ride height in the rear be adjusted without changing the stiffness of the suspension?
Changing the rear ride height (by changing the length the ride height adjustment rod between the swingarm and the rocker arm) will have a significant effect on the handling of your motorcycle. The only reasons to lower the back end would be:

A. to give you a better shot at getting your feet down (i.e., you're not on the tall side) in which case you would want to drop the front end to maintain the proper amount of trail etc.

or

B. you really want your motorcycle to turn slower and experience massive amounts of understeer.

No aftermarket seat on any superbike will give you a position that won't at least to some degree "encourage" you to slam into the tank under hard braking. I find the sargent seats I have certainly provide a little more upward rise at the "tank end" of the seat, but without a good set of stomp grip or tech-spec pads on the tank I'm faced with the same issue.

If you really believe your motorcycle isn't "set" correctly you can check your owners manual for the dimensions you should see on your bike and go from there, but my guess is it's probably just as the factory intended it to be....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tend to slide forward on the seat when wearing my kevlar trousers, my leathers dont have the same problem?
Indeed. I didn't really notice it until I got Kevlar pants. No problem in jeans (except looking like a squid). I guess that's all it is. I know grip pads are all about performance, but I'll keep taking shots to the nads before I stick anything on my lovely tank. ;) I wonder i I can enhance the butt of my pants :think:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Techspec or stomp grips.

Changing your suspection geometry to lower the rear is going to seriously screw up your bike's handling.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
-1 for stomp grip, they are very aggressive on your pants/leathers, i would only recommend them for racing, and even then you'll be chewing through your leathers

however

+1 for tech-spec, doesn't ruin your pants/leather, looks much cleaner than the stomp grip, and i don't move at all.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts