Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys I've been surfing the forum for a few weeks now and, wow all these stories of problems with Duc's is really putting me off getting one. I'm in the process of selling my cbr600rr as I don't ride it much and getting something less common ie. a 749. But these break-down stories are scaring me, not to mention the cost of servicing.

So can somebody give me a rundown of the issues that the 749's have/had and the general cost of services and major servicing. I'm in Australia so possibly having people from OZ help out with the servicing costs.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Remember ONE important fact.. one rarely writes glowing reports.. these pages are full of people asking to fix problems you might never see. I asked a similar question because I've had basically no problem with my bike from day one. I thought I had the only non dodgey bike in the world. Perhaps I have the only really dodgey one, perhaps I'm supposed to have issues.

Get the 749.. learn how to ride it and never sweat the problems, if you look for them ... they will come. Post again in the Australia / Pacific section.

Mal

·
comrade moderator
26,798 Posts
Here's a post from me a month or so ago:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=5173

And here's a priceless quote from LT Snyder, author of excellent service manuals on Ducati's:

"If you spend much time surfing the internet on Ducati bulletin boards you will develop a sense of paranoia that your Ducati is conspiring to break down on you at the most inopportune time. While each model has it's own particular "issues", Ducatis are relatively reliable. I have travelled approximately 100,000 miles on them, and have never broken down. Preventative maintenance and knowledge about your Ducati are your best weapons against the paranoia wrought by Ducati owners with both limited experience and an unlimited urge to send cautionary emails."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't be put off.

I tend to agree with the replies from other learned owners of Dukes.
Sites like this are used primarily for finding solutions to problems and not extolling the virtues of owning and riding a Ducati.
There is a saying that you are only remembered for your last **** up and never for the good things you did.
This proves the point I think.

So.

I have a red and rude 996. I love it.!
I do approx 3.5k miles a year, I hasten to add it rarley gets wet, but when it does it perform beatifuly.
It has never let me down.
I do have it srviced religously by a dealer.
There is a responsibilty with owning a Ducati, dont mess on servicing, it aint wort it and if done properly will give miles of pleasure.

So I hope this goes some way to assuaging your fears.

One then.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My Ducatis, while not exactly cheap to maintain, have been less problematic than my Ninja ZX-7 over the years. I think my BMW has been the most reliable to-date though, but they are also expensive and require a lot of maintenance on the ABS system.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've had no problems that left me stranded. My 748s has 16K on the clock. I have ridden in downpours when most cars had stopped, snow, ice, and of course my perferred riding conditions - sunny days in mid 60's.

My only real gripe is in 90° weather bike get very hot and sometimes is tough to start.

Other then that I will never go back to Jap 4's.

-CC

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have both a 749 and a 996. they get ridden every day in turn (theres maybe 1 day a year here when you cant ride due to weather). I have never had a breakdown,leak or any problem other than a bad battery in the 996 when I got it. do the few preventative things (listed on many threads) you should,stick to the maintenance schedules and your golden.

also..Ive owned bikes for a looooong time and the key is -RIDE THEM AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. a ridden bike achieves a 'stable' state. riding your bike once a week or once a month is not enough.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
mattjw916 said:
My Ducatis, while not exactly cheap to maintain, have been less problematic than my Ninja ZX-7 over the years. I think my BMW has been the most reliable to-date though, but they are also expensive and require a lot of maintenance on the ABS system.
I'll ditto that, Matt, except for the part about the ABS. I'm just about to turn over 50,000 miles on my K-LT and I've never had a single problem with the ABS. In fact, the only problem I've ever had on the K-bike that wasn't self-inflicted (like stripping out a valve cover bolt while doing a valve inspection) was a broken fuel line quick-disconnect. I ended up with gasoline all over my right boot, but it was taken care of under warranty with no hassles.

The Ducs I've owned have been somewhat more temperamental -- but not bad by any means, and it was nothing unexpected. Frustrating at times, but once a problem was solved and I got it back out on the road, the pain and frustration disappeared quickly. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have just moved from a 2000 R1 to an 06 749s.
Just got back from my first track day with the new bike and WOW!
What a difference. The 749 is much more adgile than the R1 was.
The bike felt very stable and planted; really liked to be in the turn (new Olins rear)
The R1 never felt that good and I did have set up well for the track.
The only limiting factor is the stock tires on the 749 but that's just for the track.
I am extreamly happy with the switch
my 2cents

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'd say that they probably aren't much less reliable than any other manufacturer's products, assuming that preventative maintenance is taken seriously.....<in the same breath>......my 1998 ST2 has left me stranded three times, fortunately two of them I was stranded in my own driveway, having just gotten back from a ride (had to push the bike back to its storage facility). The issue, in all three cases, was the charging system.The 1998 ST2s are known for this problem, and was corrected in 1999. It's a design "flaw" that, hopefully, I've corrected.......Now, despite not leaving me stranded, my 2002 748 does have an issue with flaking rockers.....that, too, is a manufacturing "flaw", but......check into any other manufacturer. They produce a bunch of manufacturing "issues", too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The maintance is the same i beilive.. The only thing i see that cost more on ducati is the Rockers, to have them checked and replaced. Also keep in mind that people who buy ducati tend to keep better care of the bike, they know the investment it takes to keep a bike in tip top condition, vs a Jap bike, Jap bikes for the most parts are usually beaten and not in very good condition with exception of a few. I had 3 kawasaki before and always checked by valves every 7k miles, among other maintance, but that is just me, i've know people do 20k miles and never check or clean anything but the oil.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
AzCamel said:
i've know people do 20k miles and never check or clean anything but the oil.
Sounds like a couple of guys I know with 998 bikes. The one came off of a VFR and has 13k miles on his 2002 998 and hasn't even done the 6k service nor changed the belts. Know another guy with TWO 2002 998s, neither has more than 11k miles, and he hasn't done anything to his, either.

·
Registered
835 Posts
well the belts should be changed every 6000 right? poor ducati!

·
Registered
174 Posts
aloha said:
Hi Guys I've been surfing the forum for a few weeks now and, wow all these stories of problems with Duc's is really putting me off getting one. I'm in the process of selling my cbr600rr as I don't ride it much and getting something less common ie. a 749. But these break-down stories are scaring me, not to mention the cost of servicing.

So can somebody give me a rundown of the issues that the 749's have/had and the general cost of services and major servicing. I'm in Australia so possibly having people from OZ help out with the servicing costs.

Thanks in advance guys.
The service charge for the Testastretta bikes is quite a bit less than the Desmoquattro's. You don't need the hands of a 10 year old to work on them. My last service(749R) at Fraser Homebush was around $420.
I'm also in Sydney.

·
Registered
681 Posts
yeah, it would be a little strange for someone just to post

"Still have my 2002 998 and im still loving it, no problems"

most people come on to these forums for tech advise. Most of these problems you will never see. I have a '99 748 (with the Desmoquattro engine which is widely regarded as less reliable than the Testretta(sp?) and i havent had any problems with it other than just the regular servicing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
21,000 miles '02 998

No problems so far. Now just jinxed myself. Do the service myself. Aside from tires and sprockets/chain and belts/shims all is well. I did have the rear shock start leaking on me,had it rebuilt. Now it is protected with a nylon cover to keep the grime off. I have done 6 track days so far and alot of spirited street riding. Have ridden other people home when their bikes have broken down. Don't let all the negative hype keep you from getting what you want. My 2cent. Ken.

·
Registered
396 Posts
As said before, don't sweat the problems. If you buy new you'll get a two year unlimited warranty.

Just keep in mind you only hear bad stories because they are bad stories. Nobondy wants to hear I've done 60,000 plus on my Duc with no issues because its not interesting.

Also keep in mind that non Ducati owners like to flame them as being unreliable and overpriced. Just keep in mind that it is probably jealousy in disguise (especially after they find out just how much their Suzuki GSXR depreciated in a single year :p ).

·
Registered
263 Posts
rob said:
I'll ditto that, Matt, except for the part about the ABS. I'm just about to turn over 50,000 miles on my K-LT and I've never had a single problem with the ABS. In fact, the only problem I've ever had on the K-bike that wasn't self-inflicted (like stripping out a valve cover bolt while doing a valve inspection) was a broken fuel line quick-disconnect. I ended up with gasoline all over my right boot, but it was taken care of under warranty with no hassles.

The Ducs I've owned have been somewhat more temperamental -- but not bad by any means, and it was nothing unexpected. Frustrating at times, but once a problem was solved and I got it back out on the road, the pain and frustration disappeared quickly. :)
No "problems" with the ABS system for me... I just think the service intervals on it are mental. There is no way you need to check/change the fluid in the individual circuits as often as the book says. It just seems like serious overkill to me. I'm pretty lazy about mine and it still works perfectly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts