Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

getting close, need help

2480 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Derek
figured out most of my electrical problems by using these boards and i think im close. now when i start it i get the full check no lights but nothing when i hit the button. well not nothing the headlight dims and i get a loud singular click from down near the battery. ok, any thoughts? ive been in all the boards with no luck. had to resort to riding my wife's buell blast just to get in the wind, please help i am getting desperate!:)
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! now i have a homework assignment. i will update later with progress. would everything "power up" ok if it were the battery? in my experience with cars when the battery goes/is going none of the electrics tend to function. thanks again.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i havent tested the battery yet (running out of tool funds/know i will be getting one today though....) but i did have the battery on the trickle charger while the bike has been out of commission. when i turn the key the dash lights up, it runs through the check and i can hear the fuel pump cycle. when i press the starter button the headlight dims and i get a loud singular click from the battery box area.

also, i can no longer get the bike into neutral, going to check the switch today. i know the light works because it illuminates during startup.

thanks for all help

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can't put the gearbox into neutral? You need to fix it off course but the bike doesn't start in gear unless you activate the clutch switch, right?
tried to start it in first with clutch pulled in and got the "click" sound. i can shift it and it feels as if its in neutral, the light just doesn't come on. going to get multi meter now and battery/solenoid test is next. more to come. thanks to all!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just checked the battery. with no load on it it came out to 12.76.

tried to check the starter/solenoid(?) ran batter leads to back screws and put multi on connector pins (plastic snap connection) couldnt draw a charge. when i checked the posts that battery leads connected to it was still at 12.76, so does that mean juice is going into starter unit and the problem is in there?

also put more gas into the tank and the light and flashing bar are still on the dash, should be enough in there to turn light off...joy. and continued thanks!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
progress!!

all thanks for all of your help. i went back to the beginning and checked all the wires. an overlooked (at least twice!) ground was wired poorly. all electrics are now firing! had enough gas and is now registering properly. neutral light is back to normal as well. now when i hit the switch it wants to start!

it catches, and this is where i am at now, it wont idle or stay running. i am getting a very slow cer-chunk, cer-chunk, cer- chunk for a couple of seconds and then it cuts out. just repulled (fresh) plugs and re checked the gap, they were good. worried it is my belts, first time ive ever changed anything like this... noticed a few oil spots and hit them with the torque wrench again. not sure where to go...

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my mechanically inclined friend came by for a listen. seems to think its the timing belts. pulled everything back off (except for the tank!) to check the belts. all the notches still line up perfectly. not sure what the problem is. only thing i noticed was that the horizontal eccentric was locked in the wrong position-per Lt's specs- so i pulled that off and will re-tension later. should i pull the belts or am i ok? the marks on the cams and the "center" flywheel are all exactly five notches from where they should be (where the belts were when i cut the engine, i counted the number of spaces and they were all equal). help?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.