Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about buying a bike on the other side of the country. Do you guys have any suggestions for getting it home?

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to pick it up personally and then I gotta figure out how to get it home. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Forward Air. Either you can take it to them crated or you can use one of their crates. If using their crate, you have to make a reservation and tie down the bike in the crate. They list what airports they work out of on the web site, you just pick which one you want to ship from and deliver to. I have friends use them with very good results.

http://www.forwardair.com

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
sps said:
Im thinking about buying a bike on the other side of the country. Do you guys have any suggestions for getting it home?
Get temp plates, fly out and enjoy the ride home on your new bike.

bruce19

·
Registered
401 Posts
bruce19 said:
Get temp plates, fly out and enjoy the ride home on your new bike.

bruce19
I second that, no better way to break it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shipping bikes

I used www.funtransport.com and they charged me roughly $1300 for two bikes from New Jersey to San Francisco. I was happy with them, and they delivered on time (about 12 days).
Good luck

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would you guys actually ride a Duc cross country?? That sounds painful!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
sps said:
Would you guys actually ride a Duc cross country?? That sounds painful!
I've done it a couple times on a '96 SS/SP and '97 SS/SP. Most comfortable bikes I've ever owned. I'm planning on taking the 998 to Cape Breton this Fall and to Death Valley next Spring. The 998 has Cycle Cat bar risers but the SS was unmodified. BTW, I was serious about getting your bike for you, if you are interested. Where is it and what is it?

bruce19

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
sps said:
For a couple years in here, almost, I have recommended these guys, whom have always delivered on time and at reasonable expense, and undamaged.

Bike from NYC to San Francisco was about $700. Bike from Illinois to San Francisco, $650.

They put the bikes on North American Van Lines.

Get the insurance, which is very cheap. I always get it over value. E.g., $10,000 bike, $15k insurance.

I used the pallet shipping, not the crate.

On the bike from New York, I gave the seller $75 to grease the palm of the movers so they would let him load the pallet with extra stuff [parts for the bike]. Worked well. :D

http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/s_shippingprices.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts