Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi..

Im thinking of getting a 1996 916 sp. According to the current owner it's done only about 30++k but its has definitely aged 12yrs old now. What would the common problems faced for this particular bike? I was told belts need to be replaced every 25k and some valves adjustments. Electrical? Other than that, anything else I should look into? He also mentioned that it requires abit more of a TLC compared to a Jap inlines, true? Anyone who had this bike before, mind to share some common problems or known problems?

cheers

-/nigel

·
Registered
795 Posts
Well, this is a huge subject. It could be anything from a pristine example to an abused piece of $hit.

see the '996 owner tips' document I posted in another thread: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=21058

Belts are due at 20k km's or 2 years.
check the regulator and wiring
check the eccentric for wear
check the valve rockers for flaking
fuel lines inside the tank are known to fail
etc etc.

·
Registered
355 Posts
hi..

Im thinking of getting a 1996 916 sp. According to the current owner it's done only about 30++k but its has definitely aged 12yrs old now. What would the common problems faced for this particular bike? I was told belts need to be replaced every 25k and some valves adjustments. Electrical? Other than that, anything else I should look into? He also mentioned that it requires abit more of a TLC compared to a Jap inlines, true? Anyone who had this bike before, mind to share some common problems or known problems?

cheers

-/nigel
A 916SP is a nice bike and is getting on in years now. Are you planning on riding it regularly in traffic - these things are highly strung and were built for the track and don't like anything else. A 996 makes more power and will tolerate traffic and a 916SPS (or even better 996SPS) is a far easier biker to live with.

Just buy with your eyes open - if you want it for performance there are faster models and if you want civility this is the most uncivilised of all the 916/996/998 bikes. However that rawness gives character like nothing else.

Of all the 916/996/998 bikes the 916SP probably revs the best and more importantly like to be revved to get maximum power. So number 1 remember if it was ridden as designed it has done some hard miles.

By 1996 Ducati was in severe financial straights and the build specifications of the SP models could be very variable (not all examples were created equall). Many of the unique parts (if originally fitted) are now obsolete (e.g. the cast-iron full floating front discs).

Belts need replacing every 2 years (or 6000km), rockers can flake and the electrics were not particularly strong (and may need upgrading).

With 30k on the clock the front forks will need overhauling (note these should be Showa Special forks - different to the ones on the 916, however see comment above).

Don't let this put you off, the 916SP is a great bike that is still plenty fast and will make you smile like nothing else when ridden in the correct environment, remember it isn't a 1098, nor is it a Jap bike.

As said above buy with your eyes open.

Andrew...

·
Premium Member
8,658 Posts
The 96 916SP was called the 916SP3. Rated at 131HP, it was no slug. Only 497 were produced and its exhaust note is one of my favorites. Many engine mods. Ducati also made 54 955SPAs for homologation specials. If the engine has ZDM955 in the serial number, then you have one. I would suggest keeping it for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi all thanks for the awesome info..appreciate it. Have put down some deposit on the bike. will be riding it very soon, can't wait. just to reconfirm again, Andrew mentioned belt changed every 2 years or 6000km but Vtwin posted 20k kms, which one should I stick too?:confused: Is there an online manual that I can download? I'm a newbie here. Still finding bearings on navigating around this site.. cheerio

·
Banned
138 Posts
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT replace the belts every 20km. That's f-cking just begging for your engine to get ripped to shreds. These are kevlar reinforced rubber belts. In every case, they WILL stretch. - Especially with an SP. They should be checked and/or replaced at MOST every 6000mi or 2 years, whichever is sooner. PERIOD. End of story.

Jeezus don't scare me like that.

Otherwise, the SP is a great bike to have. Keep whatever you can that is original with her and if something isn't, try to find a premo-condition item that either is or is otherwise indifferent to an SP. It will only gain in value.

And don't crash her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts