Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove my generator cover and my shop manual says that I need Ducati Tool 88173.1749 to push the cover away from the left crankcase half. Does anyone know if there is a substitute for that tool or another way to remove it without using a chisel or some other violent means?

I am changing my starter motor, since that seems to be the last thing to replace to solve the starting problem and to do that entails removing the generator cover, then the timing gears and finally the starter motor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got a cheap 2 leg steering wheel puller from the auto parts store and used a couple longer metric bolts that thread into the inspection cover. Less than $10 and it worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make my own when I had to replace the starter last month.

I use a piece of flat metal (1/8 in thick) just big enough to cover that oval opening. Transfer the two screw holes on to it, drill a larger hole (1/4 in or so) in the center, tap it to fit a threaded bolt. Works like a charm. Careful lining up the water pump when putting back in. I use grey rtv. Good luck. Excellent weather coming up for riding/fishing/bear watching/ etc ......

·
Bon Vivant
11,301 Posts
I need to remove my generator cover and my shop manual says that I need Ducati Tool 88173.1749 to push the cover away from the left crankcase half. Does anyone know if there is a substitute for that tool or another way to remove it without using a chisel or some other violent means?

I am changing my starter motor, since that seems to be the last thing to replace to solve the starting problem and to do that entails removing the generator cover, then the timing gears and finally the starter motor.

Thanks.
Have you determined that the battery is not charging? It didnt sound like an amperage issue...

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sort of get what you have done--the center tap pushes against the center of the opening on the pin inside the timing belt cover? Then you used grey rtv silicone to recreate the gasket for the generator cover? Is there a gasket needed for the generator cover? It appears to just have an rtv sealant.

Thanks!

Make my own when I had to replace the starter last month.

I use a piece of flat metal (1/8 in thick) just big enough to cover that oval opening. Transfer the two screw holes on to it, drill a larger hole (1/4 in or so) in the center, tap it to fit a threaded bolt. Works like a charm. Careful lining up the water pump when putting back in. I use grey rtv. Good luck. Excellent weather coming up for riding/fishing/bear watching/ etc ......

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wondering what brand, model number of 2 leg steering wheel puller you used and where you purchase it?

thanks.

I got a cheap 2 leg steering wheel puller from the auto parts store and used a couple longer metric bolts that thread into the inspection cover. Less than $10 and it worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes the center bolt will push out the cover breaking the seal then just pull the cover out by hand & zip tie or bungee cord it to the side. No need for a gasket and don't go too heavy on the RTV either. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts