Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to paint my bike and wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the darkest grey paint color- like as dark as possible without actually being black.

I've looked at a lot of colors like graphite grey, steel grey, mineral grey- but they are not as dark as I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated in advance-

Drew

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Which bike are you getting painted? Some colors look good on some styles of bikes but not others.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
There are quite a few types of paint and the type to some degree determines the darkness. Are you looking for a metallic or a solid, single stage or 2 stage?, what are you going to spray under it, a black sealer? You can even add tinting to a clear coat to darken the result. Darker metallic components like sapphire can subdue to the point that it will only expose the metallic in direct sunlight. Brighter metallics like aluminum will sometimes over power a dark color in the sun.

You could go to a manufacturer or dealer site for a pint brand such as House of Kolor and look at color charts for a variety of types. However, without the actual paint chips in your hand, it's a crap shoot. You can also have paint mixed to a color palette instead of a reformulated chart.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are quite a few types of paint and the type to some degree determines the darkness. Are you looking for a metallic or a solid, single stage or 2 stage?, what are you going to spray under it, a black sealer? You can even add tinting to a clear coat to darken the result. Darker metallic components like sapphire can subdue to the point that it will only expose the metallic in direct sunlight. Brighter metallics like aluminum will sometimes over power a dark color in the sun.

You could go to a manufacturer or dealer site for a pint brand such as House of Kolor and look at color charts for a variety of types. However, without the actual paint chips in your hand, it's a crap shoot. You can also have paint mixed to a color palette instead of a reformulated chart.
These are good questions & thanks for the reply-

I ride a '07 GT1000. I tend to think darker colors look better on them to my taste (I understand others may feel differently of course) so that is why I was asking about dark gray. I was looking to see if there was something besides just basic black.

Someone mentioned 'Dark Senna' which is an idea. It's hard to tell just how deep & dark a grey it is from pictures. I've looked at BMW & Mercedes grey as well- like graphite & steel grey.

I'm trying to get something of a dark metallic grey that almost looks black at night but has a great sheen in daylight.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a particular dark grey that really looked amazing.

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm kind of partial to the Ducati "black" that my 2010 848 is done in... it's a satin finish black (or very dark grey).

I've never been a fan of black bikes (and definitely not black cars), but I do like this one. I've seen the 848/1098/1198 in the gloss black, and I'm not keen on that at all.

But I may be biased...

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
What about the dark Senna color.
The "Senna" issue seems to boil down to there having been so many colors under this designation. The darkest one I know was the reissue of the 1995/2014 Senna tribute 916,
although others may have been as dark. There were all shades of Senna: the ST4s, the 900SS, the Senna Monsters, to name but the most significant of them.

Personally, I like them all, but there have been quite a few quarrels on this site to inform me that some don't care for the red wheels at the very least, and of course the red/yellow crowd always claims theirs as the "fastest color" which just goes to show that they're color blind. >:)

Ron

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is my 2002 senna grey 900 SSie. I would say it is closer to light grey than black, depending on the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm kind of partial to the Ducati "black" that my 2010 848 is done in... it's a satin finish black (or very dark grey).

I've never been a fan of black bikes (and definitely not black cars), but I do like this one. I've seen the 848/1098/1198 in the gloss black, and I'm not keen on that at all.

But I may be biased...
Can you share a picture here? Would love to see what it looks like- and what the exact color number is.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
most bodyshops have color chips for every make and model vehicle, I just flip through the book till I see the color I like, this is how I picked my last color, was looking for Silver ended up with WRC Blue :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts