Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put any aftermarket grips on? ProGrip or others? I installed some today, but I don't like the way they look. Turns out, the plastic sleeve on the throttle side has a lip on the side opposite the end of the bar. The stock grips have a groove that slips over this lip. It seems that any aftermarket ones (at least the ProGrips anyway) will just butt up against the plastic lip. So, the plastic lip shows, and the grip looks kind of floppy, since there's nothing solid for it to butt up against. Different than the set up on any other bike I've ever owned. Anyone tried anything other than ProGrips?
TIA.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i've had a very tough time finding after market grips which fit the OEM ducati throttle sleeve flange.

i tried a few sets, but after discovering that none fit the OEM sleeve flange i gave up. no accessories dealers i talk to even knew which fit the ducati throttle sleeve. the throttle sleeve on the sport classics appear to be the same as on monsters. maybe same as on other ducati models too.

DucatiGal said:
Has anyone put any aftermarket grips on? ProGrip or others? I installed some today, but I don't like the way they look. Turns out, the plastic sleeve on the throttle side has a lip on the side opposite the end of the bar. The stock grips have a groove that slips over this lip. It seems that any aftermarket ones (at least the ProGrips anyway) will just butt up against the plastic lip. So, the plastic lip shows, and the grip looks kind of floppy, since there's nothing solid for it to butt up against. Different than the set up on any other bike I've ever owned. Anyone tried anything other than ProGrips?
TIA.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Figures! :) My '95 SS SP has a "normal" throttle sleeve. I didn't anticipate this. I'm going to put the stock grips back on. I'm glad I chose to pull them off, not cut them off, LOL.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many of the newer Jap bikes have this flange also, I was toying with the idea of removing the flange on the throttle tube so a regular grip could be used.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have installed Rizoma grips. Not sure how well they'll work-out yet. Look great! Hard as a Rock!!!! (Is that a beer commercial...something like that...)
-Capt ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dremel

Just us a dremel or file and trim off the flange. :think: 15k miles later and no troubles. Pro-Grips are great and now I can replace w/any.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, I can break out the old Dremel. Good to hear that works. I hate grinding off stuff to find out later it was a bad idea... :)

My '01 Honda has no flange, haha, guess I still consider it "new", but it is 5 years old already. Maybe the real new ones do.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can also trim the grips a bit. If I remember correctly, I used a combination of both. And gel grips are worth the effort.

·
Registered
197 Posts
show some pics! :eek: :D

kingcapt said:
I have installed Rizoma grips. Not sure how well they'll work-out yet. Look great! Hard as a Rock!!!! (Is that a beer commercial...something like that...)
-Capt ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was waiting for that question

cause I don't think I've ever been proud enough of my grips to take a shot...

But I did look at a bike during lunch. There needs to be some clarification to this issue I guess. The throttle housing itself also has a protrusion, that prevents the grip "flange" from fully seating. But if you trim the sleeve, and "ream" some of the grip, it works pretty good. (Good enough for me anyways).

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks good, thanks for the pic. I have those grips on my older Duc, and that flanged out part is stiffer on that model. The ones I bought have a very soft, floppy flange. I'll either try those next, or one of the other types I know to be stiffer. Ha, just my luck to pick the softer of the choices! I like progrips, though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts