Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but the most recent feedback was from 2017. For me, Geico is about half the cost of any other insurance company I have investigated (Progressive, Liberty Mutual, All State, State Farm). I live in Orange County Calif and most quotes are coming in at $1000/year with the exception of Liberty Mutual which quoted me $1700 for liability and comprehensive. At this price, I know I cannot expect stellar service but is Geico at least decent?

Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
11,957 Posts
I have had Geico on our 6 motorcycles for about 15 years and I have no complaints however I have also had no claims.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had Geico on our 6 motorcycles for about 15 years and I have no complaints however I have also had no claims.
Thank you for the reply! If I was to plan on never making a claim then I would go for Geico which is cheaper than Allstate by about $120/year. I would be happy to pay the extra $120 for better service if and when I do make a claim but every review I have read about all insurance companies is that they all suck when it comes time to pay. I've never made any insurance claim (car, home, motorcycle), I am leaning towards just going with Geico.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
no claims on auto or bike insurance in 5 years? Motorcycle endorsement for at least 5 years? Sure, sign up G*eico and set yourself a reminder in 11 months to call them telling them you are thinking of switching to --- anything, but Pr*gressive is good. If you don't G*eico will raise your rates 20% even with no claims. They count on it being a hassle to change companies, and they follow it up with making it worse. They will send multiple contacts to your state DMV over the next couple of months claiming you are uninsured, even though you just switched to their competitor with no lapse in coverage.

In order to aggravate you further, this switch down the road will flood your mailbox 4 days a week for years, your email inbox almost daily, and for the first two months weekly robo calls from G*eico saying how sorry they are for upping your rates when in fact you are such a valued customer.... ad nauseum. And then they will sell your contact info to every fly by night pyramid scheme multi-level marketing operator on the internet. This is true, I gave them a false middle initial for my full name, unique to them and so I can tell when these marketers try to contact me because they were the only company given that initial.

G*eico's come-back offer rates are within two bucks among most companies in the biz if you survive five years insured without claims on a bike, well, even the first year with G or P on bike that doesn't have a lien (financed).

Insurance is a nasty business, never feel obligated or loyal because they will not return the respect if you ever file a claim. It's no wonder the Pope outlawed insurance for 300 years in Europe, nor surprising that mobsters have used the same sales pitches for "protection money" since 5,000 BCE...

Edit: full disclosure, I did have a speeding ticket (Judge: "How do you plead"? Me: shrugs "It's a Ducati" ), within the year with G* and perhaps that was a factor in their raising my rates. A fact which did not affect P*'s calculations for bringing me on board with them nor evidently G*'s come back to us rate either a week after I switched - so - what kind of game were they really playing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Insurance is a nasty business, never feel obligated or loyal because they will not return the respect if you ever file a claim.
Perfect advice...which is why I am leaning towards the lowest quote which is Geico by a far margain ($200 less per year).

·
Señor Member
8,066 Posts
I've been insured with Geico for a long time. Three bikes, full coverage and one claim, my rate is just over $1000 per year. I think they are as good as most. And yes, insurance companies are counting on you not having a claim but continue to pay because we have to.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Their pricing when I last looked at them was terrible, they wanted me to pay $500 a year for my 2004 Tiger in 2011... Progressive charged me $120... and I guess I wrote them off at that point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Their pricing when I last looked at them was terrible, they wanted me to pay $500 a year for my 2004 Tiger in 2011... Progressive charged me $120... and I guess I wrote them off at that point.
Interesting how insurance costs varies across different areas. For me Progressive and Allstate was similar ($1000) while State Farm and Geico was much cheaper at around $500. There is no way in Socal I could get insurance for $120/year.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you tell Geico you use your bike on the track, they will drop you. First hand knowledge.

Allstate has better rates in NY, so F Geico.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Interesting how insurance costs varies across different areas. For me Progressive and Allstate was similar ($1000) while State Farm and Geico was much cheaper at around $500. There is no way in Socal I could get insurance for $120/year.
I'm paying $500 a year for 4 bikes (including the $24k Multi) and 3 riders (including a 22 year old, though he's not on the plan with the Multi). No track time with them tho. IIRC if our kid was on the plan with the Multi the price jumped up over $1k/year... so maybe that explains some of the difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm paying $500 a year for 4 bikes (including the $24k Multi) and 3 riders (including a 22 year old, though he's not on the plan with the Multi). No track time with them tho. IIRC if our kid was on the plan with the Multi the price jumped up over $1k/year... so maybe that explains some of the difference.
No kid, just me on the plan at less than 1k miles per year. Long time Rider with no tickets and accidents. Is your premium for comprehensive (liability and collision)?

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
No kid, just me on the plan at less than 1k miles per year. Long time Rider with no tickets and accidents. Is your premium for comprehensive (liability and collision)?
On the Multi Yes... but the $120 was for the Tiger and that was no. IIRC the Multi is about $300 of the $500/yr cost so that makes it look a bit closer (I put 12,000 miles a year on the Multi). I

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICo) can suck a big, honking red donkey nut. And I’m a government employee.

The only insurance company I’ve dealt with worse than them is Allstate. All you’re doing with either is satisfying the requirement to have insurance.

If you need them to go to bat for you, you may as well get your own lawyer cuz they won’t do a damned thing.

I finally quit Allstate after my rates went up. I complained at my local agents office and was told “Well, everyone’s rates are going up”

I’d had enough. I told the agent mine wouldn’t be going up anymore because I was going straight to State Farm from their office.

I’ve been with State Farm ever since and you know what? My rate has dropped every year that I’ve been with them, even with a teenager on my policy.

He is now 22 and I’m down to $180 a month for 3 motorcycles and 6 cars/trucks. Plus homeowner and umbrella policy too.

I shudder to think what I’d still be paying if I were with Allstate or even GEICo.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The only insurance company I’ve dealt with worse than them is Allstate. All you’re doing with either is satisfying the requirement to have insurance.
You win with your post for the most truth.

You ever read this article about the 10 worst insurance companies in America? Allstate is the worst. This article is pretty old now, but it's still an eye opener about the insurance industry.

https://www.justice.org/sites/default/files/file-uploads/AAJ_Report_TenWorstInsuranceCompanies_FINAL.pdf

For everyone to learn: All insurance companies are awesome... until you make a claim and then the boxing gloves come off, and you get bent over without lube. Make no F'ing mistake. They are not there to "serve" you. They are there to take as much of your money as possible, and give as little back as possible through any method possible. (the 3 D's - Deny, Delay, Defend) There's enough fine print everywhere that in almost every case they get a way out of paying your claim.

Insurance is the dirtiest business ever. No matter what kind - vehicle, health, whatever.

You guys ever hear the story about how Progressive had life insurance on someone and they paid for her killer's lawyers to get out of the claim? That one went viral, and Progressive's brain dead PR made it worse.

I will only insure vehicles with a value of over $15K or that have a lien on them. Thankfully all my bikes are under that value at the moment and only carry the lowest legal limit + comprehensive which doesn't add much and protects against theft. (no collision)

My 696 Monster was cheap enough I didn't have to insure it. Some of you guys with these big dollar Ducs though... I feel bad for you. Wait, no I don't. :D

·
Señor Member
8,066 Posts
I've been insured with Geico for a long time. Three bikes, full coverage and one claim, my rate is just over $1000 per year. I think they are as good as most. And yes, insurance companies are counting on you not having a claim but continue to pay because we have to.
Was supposed to say Progressive, not GEICO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts