Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick heads up. (Althought I may be the only one to have been this stupid!)

I decided to adjust the shift lever on my new GT1000; it was too low, making me incline my left foot too far for upshifts.

I put the 5mm wrench on the front nut of the shift linkage, and an adjustable spanner on the rear. No luck in loosening the front nut. Figuring it was just jammed (you can see this one coming. . .) I torqued a little too hard and broke the front clevis clean off at the torque tube.

The owners manual did not mention left and right hand threads in this application, and I failed to think it through.

The new part is on its way, and costs $17. I did no other damage, and fortunately there are enough threads left on the front clevis bolt to enable me to jury rig things until the part arrives.

Signed,

"Stupid in Texas"

Ride safe now, hear?

P

·
0 Posts
tsmgguy said:
Just a quick heads up. (Althought I may be the only one to have been this stupid!)

I decided to adjust the shift lever on my new GT1000; it was too low, making me incline my left foot too far for upshifts.

I put the 5mm wrench on the front nut of the shift linkage, and an adjustable spanner on the rear. No luck in loosening the front nut. Figuring it was just jammed (you can see this one coming. . .) I torqued a little too hard and broke the front clevis clean off at the torque tube.

The owners manual did not mention left and right hand threads in this application, and I failed to think it through.

The new part is on its way, and costs $17. I did no other damage, and fortunately there are enough threads left on the front clevis bolt to enable me to jury rig things until the part arrives.

Signed,

"Stupid in Texas"

Ride safe now, hear?
If it makes you feel any better I have a shift linkage sitting in my pencil jar on my work bench that I sheared off for the same reason. :eek:
Please don't tell ANYONE! ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
egrafx2006 said:
Thanks for the heads up on that one! I'm thinking to adjust mine too. Sure wish a GT shop manual was available...
Adjustment is a real piece of cake. Just loosen the locking nuts in bright light so that you have the pitch direction all figured out before you torque anything. Then, run the locking nuts all the way out, and adjust the pedal by spinning the torque tube with your fingertips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts