Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

gearing question for a 2001 996 biposto

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rde55 
#1 ·
just purchased a stock 2001 996 biposto. I think I counted the current gearing/chain as 15/36 525

I am looking to change this to the AFAM steel 15/40 525 with DID Xring

Bike is strickly used for street riding, some mountain riding on weekends, and maybe (if time allows) the keith code level I and Level II .

weight savings is not an issue

Just want good set up for street riding, and I do occassionally get caught is some slow and go traffic, so hoping the lower gearing might help with heat build up, even if it is just a little.

#3 ·
14/38 or 15/40 is a pretty good gearing on the 996 as I´ve heard.
If your looking to go down in gearing NOW, i´d go with a 14-tooth front to your 36 rear.. 14/36 works pretty good to..

You will not get lower temps in traffic from that, but if you are indeed worried, Buckelew has a .pdf in the hall of wisdom for a manual turn-on for the fan. Two settings on the switch. Automatic-temp high on or manual on. Works great for little $$. It essentially lets you turn on the fan manually when you see temps start to rise and KNOW that the fan is going to come on.

Depending on where you live, you may want to exchange your cooling liquid from 50/50 antifreeze/water to water + water wetter. Also run a good fully synthetic 15-50 or 20-50 oil. That will help temps AND keep lubrication at it´s best.

//amullo

#4 ·
gearing

we are not changing the gearing for the temp issue, we just were not sure if we would get a benefit as a result of doing the change.

yes, i have printed out that knowledge file, and we are looking at that.

i was not aware that wetter was better than standard anti freeze for the raidator. I will research that

We discussed the 14 tooth front, but feel as if we need to just go ahead and do the rear conversion to be ready for future gear changes if necessary, so we are going to keep the 15 front.

sounds like the 15/40 combination will work for us.

thanks

#5 ·
I ran the 15/40 combo for a couple years and it was a tremendous upgrade from the 15/36 OEM setup. I also went with 520 instead of 525 and have had no issues. The weight savings is minor, but switching from the OEM setup to an AFAM 520 with quick change rear, alloy rear and lightweight steel front is a weight savings of 1.5 lbs (as measured on my digital scale). I'm now at a 15/39 because I've dramatically increased my power/torque, and I figure a slightly taller gearing won't hurt.

#7 ·
gearing

thanks to everyone, we kept it simple 520 with 15/39 AFAM all steel set up. the chain is the new ERV3 520. I think for our first attempt this will work the best. Once we have the quick change carrier on, we can go to 40 or even 41 rear sprockets as needed. I know the 15/39 is a little higher than the 14/38 or 15/40 combinations but it was a good middle ground gearing, and Ryan will be out at TwentyNine Palms, and that is a good hour to two hour ride from most good roads, so highway gearing was a consideration.

thanks again for all the comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.