But i feel like its reving to high
On the highway
I like to ride at 90 or so
What gearing should i try next
To give me the best of both worlds

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've been running a 14/41 setup for about 18,000 miles so far, and find it great for what I want... nice twisty roads. Sometimes I'd like a little more top-end, but don't want to sacrafice the low gearing I have now with extra pull out of corners and such.

I suppose you could drop the rear sprocket to maybe a 39 or 40, and still get the best of both worlds, with a little more speed. Honestly, I'm able to do 115 with the 14/41 setup, and that's plenty for me on public roads.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have 14/40 which came with the bike. I think it's decent, but I have never ridden with stock gearing. The highway cruising doesn't feel that high strung at 80-90mph. I did swap the front sprocket on my 1098 to a 14t, which made a huge improvement in smoothness but it has way too much power on tap to need more gearing. I do feel that on the SC that it lacks the same low rpm smoothness, which i'm hoping a tune will sort out.

6,048 Posts
14/39 or 15/42 virually the same
but
I always loved the 15/42 for all purpose.
If you like to ride at 90 in 4th gear I would stick to the 14/41

this chart may help some

We can help you with Supersprox drive kits in 525(stock) or 520 conversion
Kit consists of Front Sprox, Chain and rear sprox. With the kit we ffer Free shipping and a lifetime guarantee on the rear sprox from Supersprox

What do you guys think
I'm running 14/41
Now
Love it in the back road
But i feel like its reving to high
On the highway
I like to ride at 90 or so
What gearing should i try next
To give me the best of both worlds

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Duchead - It really depends on whether you do more backroads or highway jaunts at 90+. I'm guessing at 90 you're doing around 6k rpm, which can't help your highway gas mileage. I'd also be concerned about engine wear if you put a lot of highway miles on at that engine speed, but others here might have a better sense of that.

If you split your time pretty evenly on the backroads and 90+ highway runs, I'd suggest dropping a cog or two on the back. I've been running 14/39 for a little over a year after running the stock 15/39 setup for the two years prior to that. My riding is about 75% commuting, and most of that is on the freeway. The pleasure rides or errands that make up the rest of my riding consist of a nearly equal mixture of highways and backroads, and I find the 14/39 to be a nice compromise. It's definitely quicker than stock, both from starts and in traffic. The stock gearing has a cruiser-like quality to me, which lends itself to high speed comfort (less noise, buzzing through pegs), but it's not so good for high traffic highway\freeway jaunts at under 75, IMO. Too difficult to keep in that sweet spot when you need quick acceleration or engine braking.

Most of my highway riding is 75-80, with the occasional burst to 90 or so. But even at 90 I'm only turning about 5300 or so rpm, at which speed I have plenty of acceleration or deceleration on hand as needed, without excessive noise or buzzing. For backroads and twisties, it's much easier to keep in that comfortable powerband too, which for me is about 4300 to the high-5's.

The final thing I like about the 14/39, is that it still has a touch of a cruiser feel if like me, you like to occasionally give it a quick twist at low rpm to get that shuddering acceleration.:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts