Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change individual gear ratios, rather than changing sprockets? The idea would be to lower first gear quite a bit, 2nd a little less and so forth until 6th maybe would not change at all, or would maybe even be made a little taller.

·
comrade moderator
27,182 Posts
No. This is the very thing guys like Barros and Bayless, guys that come from GPs complain about when switching to Superbikes...they can't change individual gear ratios.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gearing

Guys like Barros and Bayless are changing ratios to fit particular needs of each track, but generally their ratios are pretty close with a tall first gear. Spreading out the ratios, would mean a greater RPM drop between each one. I don't think you'd get the magical gear dances through good bits of road like you can with a close ratio box.

·
comrade moderator
27,182 Posts
Yeah, the D16 does have a cassette type gearbox. I agree with those that speculate Ducati will be racing this thing.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'd think there would be a good chance of the 996 wide-ratio gearbox fitting a 749 case? Both the wide-ratio and close ration boxes are a drop-in on the 996.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Theres a Ducati Corse kit in the Ducati performance catalogue. Its a Racing Gearbox with closer ratios for improved torque speed performance...Page 34 PN 96427102B. Check out the catalogue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts