Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased 2005 999 and run up 2000k's. Ocassionaly when going down thru the gears I hit a false "neutral" or it will not go down to the next gear (can be a bit freaky on the way into a corner). Is this another one of those "ducati" things that you just accept ?
Regards,
David Barrett

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's very common to hit false neutral. Just make sure you're using enough force to fully make the shift and also try adjusting the clutch lever a bit to possibly free the place up a bit more while still using the same amout of lever pull that you're using now.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The only times I have hit a false neutral is between 5th and 6th gears, upshifting, not using the clutch. It has only happened 3 or 4 times, when I was making a 'slow' shift. ie I was done accelerating up to speed and just popping it into 6th. I seems that we must be firm with our Italian steeds.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
A good firm selection does the trick, I think Ducati gearboxes need to be treated firmly but they respond well to that treatment - it'll probably get easier with more miles as it loosens up.

Overall I reckon Ducati gearboxes are pretty good, I don't know anyone with a Ducati who's had problems with them and they're certainly better than the gearbox on my old VTR100 which was always 'notchy' and just didn't feel right.

:)

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
One problem that CAN occur is that the "fork" inside the gearbox-case isn´t aligned properly. This can cause you to hit false neutrals all the time, but if your only experiencing it some off the time, this shouldn´t be the case.

How many miles on your bike and how is it ridden?

//amullo

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Also check your gear lever is adjusted correctly - sometime just a small tweak in the angle makes a big difference in how your foot is able to execture the shift. Your's may be set a little "low?" Try raising it a little to get more leverage on the downshifts...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts