Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 2000 ST4 with 11,400km on it. It is metallic black which seems rare. Previous owner bought in October last year from first owner's family. Apparently he became ill and put the bike in the garage, hence low mileage.
The previous owner said it was too sport and not enough touring for him. He only took it for mot and didn't ride it.

When I went to pick it up I noticed there was a rattle when idling which went away when the clutch is pulled in.

I figured the bike needed an oil change so it would go away. I have now serviced the bike (oil filter was a pig to remove, had to chop it away bit by bit to get it off).

The rattle is still there, it seems to reduce as the engine warms up but doesn't go away completely. I haven't ridden the bike yet as it isn't taxed and I don't like the look of the tyres so I don't know if it would be present after being ridden.

Is this noise normal or is there something expensive behind it?

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
+1 Dry clutch rattle. It's all good. Although, replacing the steel basket with an alloy one will make a more palatable sound. Or you could go for the quiet clutch mod to really get rid of the noise.

An item such as this:
Desmo Times Product 61 - Oil Filter Wrench
really helps get a tight filter off. I had one that I found at Harbor Freight here for the cars. A filter put on hand tightened only will stick fairly well. With the limited grip on the Duc, a tool is handy.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen the youtube videos about the the clutch basket rattle and have removed the clutch to check for free play in the shaft etc and there is no problem there. It just seemed excessively loud and hard but I don't have a reference. I haven't looked at another Ducati.

The oil filter was well and truly stuck, obviously been on for many years and once my tools crushed the top of it, there was now way of gripping it as it kept folding the thin metal. Eventually had to lay the bike on it's side and tear away the filter case till I could get at the thicker disc and tap it round.
Was carefull to not overtighten the new one although I intend to change the oil and filter again after about 500 miles then revert to standard intervals.

Thanks for the replies.

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
K&N makes an oil filter for our bikes with a nut on the end for easy removal. I believe it is part number 153.

·
Registered
426 Posts
K&N makes an oil filter for our bikes with a nut on the end for easy removal. I believe it is part number 153.
+5
I use the K&N on all my bikes with spin on filters. so easy to remove and safety wire if your required too.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
DesmoTimes do some nice kit but they take the piss bigtime with their minimum order and postage charges.

This is what I use, and it would have shifted that stuck filter no bother.
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-2830-Filter-Wrench-Metal/dp/B003AMVZWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336484650&sr=8-2[/ame]

NO MINIMUM ORDER OR POSTAGE CHARGES EITHER......

Attachments

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I agree with you, Mark. There are some little bits like that oil filter wrench that are better to buy locally. It is one of LT's many careers that I couldn't juggle. That said, the min order thing is something that I'd change if I was king. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You're a king in my book anyway Tony :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Hahahaha! I don't know if anyone would wish that on themselves. =)

Have a good one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts