Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a good wet finger estimate for what is acceptable gearbox backlash between the input and output shafts? The Haynes manual talks a lot about end float but nothing I can see regarding backlash. I suspect mine is a little loose at around 10~20degrees of backlash in 1st/2nd?
I first noticed a stiffness in changing gear so stripped the usual wear and tear components (clutch) but this and the and primary drive gears all seem to be tip top.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
IainMac,The backlash you are feeling is the clearance in the engagement dogs .It isn't anything you can adjust short of making new gears.Inspect the corners of the dogs and see if they are chipped or have been rounded off.The gears aren't cheap so unless you are missing shifts often or it jumps out of gear you will probably leave it be.Just get the end float right and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
288 Posts
IainMac,The backlash you are feeling is the clearance in the engagement dogs .It isn't anything you can adjust short of making new gears.Inspect the corners of the dogs and see if they are chipped or have been rounded off.The gears aren't cheap so unless you are missing shifts often or it jumps out of gear you will probably leave it be.Just get the end float right and enjoy the ride.
Spot on. You're not going to change the clearance between dogs and slots. That's an engineering decision that was made at the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts