Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. How and where do people mount their gear shift indicator? I see many have them on the side of the instrument panel, do you just glue it together?

Anyone with experience using radiator protector guard / grille? Will this affect the temperature on the bike to go higher?

I have a Ducati 848 evo 2011.

·
Administrator
13,314 Posts
This will probably get more eyes and responses in the Ducati chat area.... moving your thread now.

Reactions: Bigdrago

·
Super Moderator
5,603 Posts
I don't have any experience with a gear shift indicator. But, to answer your second question, adding a radiator guard will not effect your engine temperature. My bike runs the same temp with or without the mesh guard.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have asked this question before and have never gotten an answer.

I own a bike with a gear indicator and still haven't figured it out.

Serious question. What do people use the information from gear indicators for? Oh, I'm in 3rd. Cool. Who cares? If it's revving too fast you shift up. if it's lugging you shift down. If it doesn't go down any further you're in 1st. If it doesn't go up any further you're in 6th. 30+ years of riding and I can't think of a time when it's mattered to me if I'm in 4th or 5th.

I'm serious. Why do people care what gear they are in? No flames intended, I honestly do not get it. What decisions are you making based on what gear you are in vs what revs you are at? I've seen comments from people who consider if it has a gear indicator in their buying decision. Really?

Then again, I've had bikes that don't even have neutral indicators so maybe I'm just dense.

·
Señor Member
8,498 Posts
@DesmoDog I keep track in my head, as best I can, of what gear I’m in. But you’re right, what RPM your running is more important.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi there. How and where do people mount their gear shift indicator? I see many have them on the side of the instrument panel, do you just glue it together?
Velcro.

·
Registered
2011 Monster 1100 Evo, 2020 Multistrada 1260S, 2008 track 848
132 Posts
Didn't mount such protections on my 848, but I mounted oil and water radiators' protections on my '20 MTS1260S, haven't observed any difference in temp at all. Ambient temperature is a much bigger influencing factor I believe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have asked this question before and have never gotten an answer.

I own a bike with a gear indicator and still haven't figured it out.

Serious question. What do people use the information from gear indicators for? Oh, I'm in 3rd. Cool. Who cares? If it's revving too fast you shift up. if it's lugging you shift down. If it doesn't go down any further you're in 1st. If it doesn't go up any further you're in 6th. 30+ years of riding and I can't think of a time when it's mattered to me if I'm in 4th or 5th.

I'm serious. Why do people care what gear they are in? No flames intended, I honestly do not get it. What decisions are you making based on what gear you are in vs what revs you are at? I've seen comments from people who consider if it has a gear indicator in their buying decision. Really?

Then again, I've had bikes that don't even have neutral indicators so maybe I'm just dense.
It's just for fun :) nice to have gadget...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts