Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a great ride.

My tach is working again :) so I don't have to spend another 270 for a replacement solution and my fix for the rubber posts that holds the gauge cluster down worked great.

Now, when coming home it seems that when shifting the gears back to first gear, i don't get that solid first gear "stop" where you can't shift down any further and the shift lever doen't go any further. The bike is in first gear but the gear selector isn't at the bottom. I can sit at the light and tap on the shifter and it will eventually find the first gear "stop".

All the other gears are fine and operation seems/is normal.

Down shifting to first was fine during the beginning of the ride but towards the end it got harder and harder to get to the first gear "stop".

Again, I can get to first gear, its just the shifter doesn't bottom out at first.

Thanks in advance for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tightend the screws per your suggestion :)

Now you have to help me with this first gear thing :) I should start paying you money :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
About gearchange..

It could be 2 pretty simple things.
1:st How far "down" is your gearlever adjusted?
I had problems when mine was adjusted to far "down", because the linkage actually came in contact with the swingarm and that prevented the lever from moving all the way down and getting first. Look at where the linkage connects to the lever on your rearset/footpeg and see if it has free movement.

The feel is that you can get first, but it feels like a solid STOP before you get to the bottom of selecting first (sometimes you get first and sometimes you need to press really hard). This is most noticable when your at a stoplight, since your leg is taking some weight of the suspension -> swingarm moves "downward" and acts like a stop for the lever/linkage. If you "sit" on the bike it works, since your suspension is compressed, allowing more free room between the swingarm and the lever/linkage.

2:nd The "fork" inside the gearbox may be out of alignment. To check it, you need to remove the generatorcover.. If you haven´t done it before, you might want to take it to the dealer, because getting it apart can be a pain.

It could be either off those. I guess it could maybe be the clutch aswell.. But not likely, since you don´t have problems with up or downshift in other gears..

//amullo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
amullo said:
About gearchange..

It could be 2 pretty simple things.
1:st How far "down" is your gearlever adjusted?
I had problems when mine was adjusted to far "down", because the linkage actually came in contact with the swingarm and that prevented the lever from moving all the way down and getting first. Look at where the linkage connects to the lever on your rearset/footpeg and see if it has free movement.

The feel is that you can get first, but it feels like a solid STOP before you get to the bottom of selecting first (sometimes you get first and sometimes you need to press really hard). This is most noticable when your at a stoplight, since your leg is taking some weight of the suspension -> swingarm moves "downward" and acts like a stop for the lever/linkage. If you "sit" on the bike it works, since your suspension is compressed, allowing more free room between the swingarm and the lever/linkage.

2:nd The "fork" inside the gearbox may be out of alignment. To check it, you need to remove the generatorcover.. If you haven´t done it before, you might want to take it to the dealer, because getting it apart can be a pain.

It could be either off those. I guess it could maybe be the clutch aswell.. But not likely, since you don´t have problems with up or downshift in other gears..

//amullo
I do have my gear selector angled down a bit but I haven't played with ergos since I adjusted to my liking. I will double check just the same.

GREAT CALL!!!!

I just got back from the garage. It looks like the gear selector is making contact with the swingarm. The sticker which contains the chain tension requirements has a mark from where it made contact with the gear selector.

It was warm outside 45 degrees F yesterday so that must have made the metal expand just enough...

Thanks!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
No problemo..

This was something that happened to me aswell when i rode mine for the first time, so it´s a "known" problem.

I´ve since gone over to a GP-style reverseshifter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amullo said:
No problemo..

This was something that happened to me aswell when i rode mine for the first time, so it´s a "known" problem.

I´ve since gone over to a GP-style reverseshifter.
Thank god it was only that and not another 500 dollar shop only fix. I was puckering up for that...

People I've talked to say finding neutral is harder with the reverse shift, is that true?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Well in the last week or so you have saved a ton of cash..... Sounds like its time to go buy something nice for your Ducati!! maybe something carbon??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,136 Posts
level7 said:
People I've talked to say finding neutral is harder with the reverse shift, is that true?
I'd say mine is easier with reverse shift because the shift lever is longer which slightly reduces the effort, but increases the throw of the lever but it does make it easier to 'feel' the gears, also eliminates 2 joints in the the linkage which if worn or stiff can make shifting/finding neutral more difficult.

 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
level7 said:
People I've talked to say finding neutral is harder with the reverse shift, is that true?

Thanks.
Nope.. Not for me anyhow.
I guess maybe it´s diffrent for diffrent people and diffrent levers.. But mine works like a charm. I usually go "UP" to first before going down to neutral.

I´d really recommend the move to a GP-style "reverse" shifter if you can. I´ve converted and i absolutly love it on the track. It´s easier to shift up in corners, since your not moving your foot and bodyweight around and i think it´s easier during braking, since you have your foot jammed in OVER the peg and UNDER the lever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
how long did it take to retrain yourself?? I am going to be getting into some mini racing probably an NSR maybe a metrakit bike. I am thinking of making the change then for the racing but will do it on my 996 as well for street riding
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kingsnake1650 said:
Well in the last week or so you have saved a ton of cash..... Sounds like its time to go buy something nice for your Ducati!! maybe something carbon??
I know I saved a lot of cash...
-changed belts
-fixed the tach
-fixed the gauge cluster rubber mounts (8 bucks/piece I still have to pick them up but from what I hear, the slow boat from Italy really is a slow boat)
-upgraded the rear tail lights to LED
-added blinkly high beams
-change oil (will be doing shortly)
-change clutch fluid (will be doing shortly)

but my wife thinks i've already spent too much.

My next major purchase will have to be cyclecat bar risers. Right now, the only thing that "makes" me come home is my tired wrists. Otherwise, I'd be riding all day and never come home :) Man, is this bike amazing.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
kingsnake1650 said:
how long did it take to retrain yourself??
I actually changed the gearlever just before a trackday, since all shifting is "active" when trackriding. Your always thinking about gearchange and that made the transition smoother..

But maybe 10-15 hours of riding and i had it down. alot of that was trackriding ofcourse (I did a double day at the track). I STILL get dumb sometimes during stoplights and do it wrong, but never on the track. You have to adjust that first is UP and not DOWN. On the track your always just doing UP or DOWN with short periods in each gear, so that makes it easier on the brain.

If your getting into racing, definatly look at this.

//amullo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
amullo said:
About gearchange..

It could be 2 pretty simple things.
1:st How far "down" is your gearlever adjusted?
I had problems when mine was adjusted to far "down", because the linkage actually came in contact with the swingarm and that prevented the lever from moving all the way down and getting first. Look at where the linkage connects to the lever on your rearset/footpeg and see if it has free movement.

The feel is that you can get first, but it feels like a solid STOP before you get to the bottom of selecting first (sometimes you get first and sometimes you need to press really hard). This is most noticable when your at a stoplight, since your leg is taking some weight of the suspension -> swingarm moves "downward" and acts like a stop for the lever/linkage. If you "sit" on the bike it works, since your suspension is compressed, allowing more free room between the swingarm and the lever/linkage.

2:nd The "fork" inside the gearbox may be out of alignment. To check it, you need to remove the generatorcover.. If you haven´t done it before, you might want to take it to the dealer, because getting it apart can be a pain.

It could be either off those. I guess it could maybe be the clutch aswell.. But not likely, since you don´t have problems with up or downshift in other gears..

//amullo
Amullo,

I took the bike out for a ride and the problem is still there. I adjusted the linkage and it seemed the more I rode it the harder and harder it was to get the first gear stop.

The "fork alignment" issue you speak of, is this a degrading problem? Meaning will it get worse as I ride it?

Thanks.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top