Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for some feed back,i'm thinking of putting a digital gear indicator on my st3 so i'm doing some home work,do they make one for our st's,thanks guys.:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not sure. I've never felt the need for one. Just something else to look at.
Guess I'm a touchy-feely kind of guy.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to say "no" for "Do they make a unit?" Well here it is:
http://www.calsportbike.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?cart_id=7473081.61010&pid=2026&count=1

I believe you have an electronic speed sender on ST3. Note that they're still developing the pluggable harnesses for Ducati (and others), but this unit looks like you can splice it in. Unless you want to wait for the pluggable one...
Hey Stick,hows it going.Is ducati the one developing the unit,did i read that right and if so how did you come to get this info,i want to wait and follow this to see so i may buy one,guess i'll wait,thanks for the kick-back man.:)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure. I've never felt the need for one. Just something else to look at.
Guess I'm a touchy-feely kind of guy.
Thats cool,I was on the coast in some new mountain area and hit some really bad FOG,going up and down i would loose my focus as i'm straining to see ahead,thier was times i was in the wrong gear at a certain places going thru the hills so it would make my journey much safer,theres riders out there that know what FOG riding does to a rider,see ya Kramer.;)

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I found it using Google. The Web, it's a wonderful thing!
I don't believe Ducati is doing anything with it. It's up to the mfr. of that unit to make it compatible with the various makes. Looks like the Jap. brands are there. Moto Guzzi, Harley, and Ducati are on the "to do" list. Poke around on that web site and look at the various models.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I don't know if you are still looking at these or would be interested, but I have a slightly used Dakota Digital PGR-1000 Series Programmable Gear Indicator that I picked up with a Pingel electric shifter (I only wanted the shifter). I have no use for the indicator and I have no idea how to hook it up. It is the 7/8" size which would work with the ST3's bars. If you go to the manufacturers website, you can find the installation instructions. If the ST3 doesn't have the appropriate wires, it looks like they have some adapters available. These things usually retail around $225, but I'm only asking $100 shipped for it.

Dakota Digital - http://www.dakotadigital.com

Indicator page - http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=298/home_id=60/mode=prod/prd496.htm

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've purchased a GIPRO gear position indicator from Healtech Electronics to fit to my 2002 ST2 Ducati. I also ride a 2010 Suzuki M109R which has factory gear indicator, and you sort of get used to it so I decided to fit one to the ST2.

As the ST2 has a cable driven speedo, I needed to also purchase a Healtech GPX-WSS harness kit which mounts a hall sensor onto the rear wheel to feed a speed signal to the GIPRO. The harness and GIPRO unit plug together and simply need an earth, ignition feed and one other connection.

The Hall effect sensor fitted well. I made a small bracket to mount it to the rear caliper bolt and it reads the heads of the securing bolts of the rear disc. Route the cable along the frame and up towards the instruments and pick up the other wiring along the way.

There is a black/green wire that must connect to one of three various sources:

1. The SIGNAL wire of the crankshaft sensor.
2. The tacho SIGNAL wire.
3. The ignition coil SIGNAL wire

Not having a wiring diagram for the ST2, and specifically not having the colour coding for the wires, can anyone here tell me which is the most convenient of the three wires to locate and where the wire is and what colour it is please.

Very good chance that the wire colours on ST2, 3 and 4 are the same.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I fitted a GIPRO to my Triumph and it worked first time and continues to work. It has a 1/3 Second lag and also shows "--" when the clutch is in.

Recommended product

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting,Lets see some pics !

I've purchased a GIPRO gear position indicator from Healtech Electronics to fit to my 2002 ST2 Ducati. I also ride a 2010 Suzuki M109R which has factory gear indicator, and you sort of get used to it so I decided to fit one to the ST2.

As the ST2 has a cable driven speedo, I needed to also purchase a Healtech GPX-WSS harness kit which mounts a hall sensor onto the rear wheel to feed a speed signal to the GIPRO. The harness and GIPRO unit plug together and simply need an earth, ignition feed and one other connection.

The Hall effect sensor fitted well. I made a small bracket to mount it to the rear caliper bolt and it reads the heads of the securing bolts of the rear disc. Route the cable along the frame and up towards the instruments and pick up the other wiring along the way.

There is a black/green wire that must connect to one of three various sources:

1. The SIGNAL wire of the crankshaft sensor.
2. The tacho SIGNAL wire.
3. The ignition coil SIGNAL wire

Not having a wiring diagram for the ST2, and specifically not having the colour coding for the wires, can anyone here tell me which is the most convenient of the three wires to locate and where the wire is and what colour it is please.

Very good chance that the wire colours on ST2, 3 and 4 are the same.
,,,Wow,see ya digging up old threads,I hope it works for you and please get us some pics man,good luck.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts