Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I’m looking into getting a jacket for my son and I’m not sure what to get him, I don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars because he’s just 12 years old, 4’8” and 110lbs so he’s growing and I just need some good protection but affordable.

My boy has disabilities so he will be strap to my back while we are out riding at a very low pace I already got him some nice A* boots wich he loved and finding another A* jacket would be ideal

What do you guys have for your boys?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What do you guys have for your boys?
Both my boys are grown men now. When they were small, I got them XSmall helmets on clearance from a well known internet clearance gear sales site. Jackets I got in somewhat the same way. My oldest stopped riding pillion when he got into his teen years so all his gear went to my youngest. I got him a XSmall Joe Rocket womens Phoenix jacket on clearance because it was the only way to get a jacket that small. It fit him until he turned 13 and then he too stopped riding pillion. I got them both gloves the same way, XSmall and then small womens gloves. Never went as far as boots or anything as they lost interest. All I got man.......sean

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both my boys are grown men now. When they were small, I got them XSmall helmets on clearance from a well known internet clearance gear sales site. Jackets I got in somewhat the same way. My oldest stopped riding pillion when he got into his teen years so all his gear went to my youngest. I got him a XSmall Joe Rocket womens Phoenix jacket on clearance because it was the only way to get a jacket that small. It fit him until he turned 13 and then he too stopped riding pillion. I got them both gloves the same way, XSmall and then small womens gloves. Never went as far as boots or anything as they lost interest. All I got man.......sean
Thanks sean, I will look into those joe rocket jackets

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
I would hit up craigslist and at his size look for ladies jackets. The harley crowd should have some decent non-fringe stuff that has good leather as well. If you must buy new textile with armor will get you /him pockets and a better choice of styles. At 11 years old do not be surprised if he gets to wear in one year only, finding someone else who just traded up would be beat at that age.

your local Parts unlimited dealer has closeout catalogs of new old stock. they can not be returned so know your size and fit but there some times are deals on odd sizes/colors that have not sold. This is where my kids get riding gear from because at the pre-teen to teen years they grow out of them fast. You might see if he is close to the wife's size and buy a coat she can inherit soon.

My son is riding in a alpinestars textile that was about $150 it has been a good coat but would be decent street only it is not a track worth coat. I do not take them track riding yet mainly due to gear but it is coming.

Also haunt local shops I have customers who stop riding drop gear at my shop to sell/pass on to new riders and you can get high quality gear for cheap if you hunt.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would hit up craigslist and at his size look for ladies jackets. The harley crowd should have some decent non-fringe stuff that has good leather as well. If you must buy new textile with armor will get you /him pockets and a better choice of styles. At 11 years old do not be surprised if he gets to wear in one year only, finding someone else who just traded up would be beat at that age.

your local Parts unlimited dealer has closeout catalogs of new old stock. they can not be returned so know your size and fit but there some times are deals on odd sizes/colors that have not sold. This is where my kids get riding gear from because at the pre-teen to teen years they grow out of them fast. You might see if he is close to the wife's size and buy a coat she can inherit soon.

My son is riding in a alpinestars textile that was about $150 it has been a good coat but would be decent street only it is not a track worth coat. I do not take them track riding yet mainly due to gear but it is coming.

Also haunt local shops I have customers who stop riding drop gear at my shop to sell/pass on to new riders and you can get high quality gear for cheap if you hunt.
Ha! I am ordering a small A* stella textile for my son and when he’s to big for it my wife will take over :grin2:

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Check out some of the smaller (size 46) Dianese gear. European fit runs a lot tighter than American cut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts