Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For one it would eliminate the need to do belt changes, and having direct gear drive between crank and cam prevents cam lag since there's nothing to stretch. You can't tell me with a windowed timing cover that wouldn't look sick too.

I've heard them on small block chevy engines before and they weren't too loud. Similar whine to a blower. I doubt I'd hear it over the Leo Vince cans and open clutch cover.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
No, but I put gear drives in both my Guzzis.

Won't work in a Ducati, everything's too far apart. Plus they need oil.

Tom

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the timing on the 996 I can see the difficulty, but I can see the feasibility too. It would take a few gears to span the distance. Not sure about the need for oil. I would think a good slather of bearing grease would do. Just include cleaning and re-greasing on the maintenance list when you do fluid changes.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I think this is why Ducati used bevel drive so long ago... Porsche used bevel drive too for some engines. The Porsche engines had a slip joint in the shaft between the two bevel gear sets to allow for expansion of the air cooled engine. I don' t know about old Ducati's though. Maybe you should just buy an old bevel drive Ducati?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think this is why Ducati used bevel drive so long ago... Porsche used bevel drive too for some engines. The Porsche engines had a slip joint in the shaft between the two bevel gear sets to allow for expansion of the air cooled engine. I don' t know about old Ducati's though. Maybe you should just buy an old bevel drive Ducati?
or a Honda RC51 or older VFR. They had gear driven cams... and yes they make a noise.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
I´d rather go back to bevel then a move to gears...

Regardless.. if you still have to service it, changing cambelts isn´t exatly rocketscience.

//amullo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts