Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't want to post this in the 1st gen thread for fear it would get overlooked.

My bike is winterized and awaiting it's spring revival however, I wanted to get some feedback before the upcoming riding season in case it's a bigger problem looming.

The issue: After normal riding I always return to Neutral and just turn the key to off. I don't use the kill switch ever. Upon returning to ride the bike another day, the Neutral light is Off and the Oil light remains on. I try to start the bike and it just re-cycles the fuel pump. I move the kickstand to the "UP" position, pull the clutch and start the bike just fine. I'll then feather the clutch a bit to find 1st gear, creep the bike forward and look for neutral before putting the kickstand back "DOWN" and letting the bike warm up before going out to ride.

The gear box is FINE during normal riding and this only happens AFTER a ride and before the next one. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. I checked all the bolts on the shifter and they are all nice and tight. There is a little play in the shifter, but I always thought this was normal.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
Have you checked the neutral safety switch? The connector there is a poor design choice and can cause some erratic start ups. Remove, clean and tighten. How is your battery strength and connections? I have found this bike in particular sensitive to battery voltage, causing some odd messages and difficult starting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Didn't want to post this in the 1st gen thread for fear it would get overlooked.

My bike is winterized and awaiting it's spring revival however, I wanted to get some feedback before the upcoming riding season in case it's a bigger problem looming.

The issue: After normal riding I always return to Neutral and just turn the key to off. I don't use the kill switch ever. Upon returning to ride the bike another day, the Neutral light is Off and the Oil light remains on. I try to start the bike and it just re-cycles the fuel pump. I move the kickstand to the "UP" position, pull the clutch and start the bike just fine. I'll then feather the clutch a bit to find 1st gear, creep the bike forward and look for neutral before putting the kickstand back "DOWN" and letting the bike warm up before going out to ride.

The gear box is FINE during normal riding and this only happens AFTER a ride and before the next one. I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. I checked all the bolts on the shifter and they are all nice and tight. There is a little play in the shifter, but I always thought this was normal.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
The bike will not start if the Neutral light is not illuminated and the clutch lever isn't pulled in. You either need "N" lit up or the clutch pulled in for the bike to start in gear (may actually be in neutral but without lamp lit it thinks it's in a gear). As mentioned above check the neutral switch. I routinely hit neutral in my bike without the "N" lighting up, a simple minor bump to the shift lever normally illuminates the light.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the neutral safety switch? The connector there is a poor design choice and can cause some erratic start ups. Remove, clean and tighten. How is your battery strength and connections? I have found this bike in particular sensitive to battery voltage, causing some odd messages and difficult starting.

thanks for the heads up. the battery is a year old so I doubt (and hope) it's not a battery issue. Where is the neutral safety switch? I thought it was the button on the underside of the bike that the kick stand depresses when raised. I'm not sure I can remove that, but I'll take a closer look today.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike will not start if the Neutral light is not illuminated and the clutch lever isn't pulled in. You either need "N" lit up or the clutch pulled in for the bike to start in gear (may actually be in neutral but without lamp lit it thinks it's in a gear). As mentioned above check the neutral switch. I routinely hit neutral in my bike without the "N" lighting up, a simple minor bump to the shift lever normally illuminates the light.
appreciate the information, albeit a bit basic. Hitting false neutral isn't something I'm unfamiliar with however, parking the bike in actual neutral, where I let off the clutch and the bike doesn't go into 1st, and coming back for another ride and it being out of sorts is concerning.

I'll check the neutral switch and see what it yields.

·
Registered
178 Posts
appreciate the information, albeit a bit basic. Hitting false neutral isn't something I'm unfamiliar with however, parking the bike in actual neutral, where I let off the clutch and the bike doesn't go into 1st, and coming back for another ride and it being out of sorts is concerning.

I'll check the neutral switch and see what it yields.
Basic or not, simply bumping the shift lever a bit either up or down should activate the neutral switch to light the dash and start the bike, you're bike is still in neutral it just doesn't know it. No need to shift in to first. The bike obviously isn't shifting while it's parked it's a contact or proximity issue with the sensor.

See here for location, part number is 539.1.021.1B.
2012_HYM1100EvoSP_DucatiOmaha by Ducati Omaha - Issuu

EDIT: Link doesn't go to last viewed page, the diagram is on pages 12-13

·
Registered
391 Posts
Back of the tranny is a wire that goes through a large grommet. Pull the wire off, clean up and tighten the end a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts