Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh... this thing is making me work for it... So the screen popped off as i was removing the gauze filter leaving me with this - before i start yanking on it and possibly breaking git to little pieces in the process- is there a better way?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Other than splitting the cases a good grip with a pair of long needle nose pliers should remove it. Try twisting it to break it loose from the other end.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Other than splitting the cases a good grip with a pair of long needle nose pliers should remove it. Try twisting it to break it loose from the other end.
wow- got it- long needle nose finally got it out but... I'm thinking there is a little disk left in there from the back of filter now right? I'm going to dig around more tomorrow-

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Any chance of this dime sized piece of plastic getting to any passages it could block? I'm a little confused as to the flow path around the pick up screen. Seems it would be trapped in the sump cavity and not allowed through the filter it was once part of....... correct?

I found a pic online and circled the part that is missing from my extracted sump pick up screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
off inside....

try a hooked piece of coat hanger, adjust to fit into center, then pull against side with hooked portion.

Fred Hecker

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just spent an hour poking around in the hole where the sump screen goes.... no way in hell I'm going to be able to find let alone get something out of there if it is indeed there-

Damn near got my finger stuck in there poking around. Used a variety of long metal objects , forceps, hemostats with bends etc etc.

If it is in there is it possible for it to migrate or is it impossible? Can someone describe the flow path? Does oil in that cavity get sucked through the sump screen? And is this post oil filter ? I found a diagram but this area is a little hard to discern. I'm assuming the pump sucks oil from and through this screen post oil filter? Please school me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Is the plastic black or white?

Either way I looked at a couple versions and they are both solid ends. The end of the screen is capped and it does not sit in/on anything , checked 2 early generation cases. It is plastic in both cases and would likely get chewed up by the gearbox or other gears. The white version looks thinner than the black one and either will be just smaller than your drain plug holes.

If it were mine I would try and flush it out by doing a few oil changes at short intervals, screen the oil that comes out and if it is clean put it right back in. Know that your cases have many pockets where things can get trapped and it may not come out (or be an issue) ever unless the cases are split. Now we never want foreign materials floating around in the motor but I would think that a plastic disc the size on a us Penny would be less of a worry than steel and aluminum that is often found.

I have had a few of these come apart over the years but have never had the end come out like yours, are you sure it was there from the last time? Once the screen has separated from the brass bolt there should be not enough holding the screen for you to separate the screen from the plastic end plug without a lot of force. You can buy a bore camera on ebay for about $30 that works with a laptop and look around inside to see if it is there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the plastic black or white?

Either way I looked at a couple versions and they are both solid ends. The end of the screen is capped and it does not sit in/on anything , checked 2 early generation cases. It is plastic in both cases and would likely get chewed up by the gearbox or other gears. The white version looks thinner than the black one and either will be just smaller than your drain plug holes.

If it were mine I would try and flush it out by doing a few oil changes at short intervals, screen the oil that comes out and if it is clean put it right back in. Know that your cases have many pockets where things can get trapped and it may not come out (or be an issue) ever unless the cases are split. Now we never want foreign materials floating around in the motor but I would think that a plastic disc the size on a us Penny would be less of a worry than steel and aluminum that is often found.

I have had a few of these come apart over the years but have never had the end come out like yours, are you sure it was there from the last time? Once the screen has separated from the brass bolt there should be not enough holding the screen for you to separate the screen from the plastic end plug without a lot of force. You can buy a bore camera on ebay for about $30 that works with a laptop and look around inside to see if it is there.

Thanks Ducvet-

The plastic is white- i will do a few rapid flushes and looks for it in the strainer- I'm almost ready to start turning it over after rebuilding carbs and fuel tank etc. This is the bike that had fuel in the engine case for who knows how long so i'm wondering if that gasoline somehow made the plastic swell...

Just curious- what is the path of the oil at this point in the engine? The pump pulls oil through the strainer and starts its journey through the engine?

I love the bore cam idea too.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Yes the oil starts by being drawn through the pickup filter first before the oil pump.

I would think that the fuel in the oil may have softened the plastic end cap glue. I think this may have been possible as the white one in my hands now is not going to budge without a hammer, it probably is glued in place and the fuel may have allowed it to fall off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts