Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post this and see if there would be any interest in a tool to remove the forks caps on a GT1000, not sure if any of the other Sport Classic models require a tool like this to remove the caps. I replaced the springs and fork oil on my GT1000 and rather than buy one from Ducati or use a universal wrench like you might find at Harbor Freight I designed my own and machined it with a Tormach 3 axis CNC mill I have.
The tool is made out of 1018 steel, no finish and has a hex head that requires a 3/4 " wrench
Would any one want one of these?
What would you pay?
Would you rather have the hex head in a metric wrench size?
Is it over kill, that is, will what is already available be a better option?
I'm not planning on making a killing if I do make a few of these, just having fun with the machine and making something useful with it.
What do you guys think?
Thanks for any input,
Gerry

Attachments

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The caps are the same on all the SCs except the PS. It it a good idea to make them, but there is a guy in the USA making them already.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Beautiful work lotus!Here's whats currently available for comparison Linky
How about if you made up some custom fork caps instead.I'm not digging the chrome ones?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I've replaced my forks so I wouldn't need one, but as a suggestion you might consider making the wrench attachment 3/8" or 1/2" to better accommodate torque wrenches

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies all.
Those tools that Speirmoor linked to are pretty nice, I didn't know they existed.
I wouldn't want to butt in on that guys business or try to copy or compete.

I did make a prototype with a hole for a 1/2" drive ratchet or torque wrench but choose the hex head for simplicity. I think you guys are right, the tool should have a 1/2" drive hole rather than a hex head.
Thanks again for the input.
Gerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts