Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I’m using this miserable weather to prepare the bike for the coming riding season, and one of my winter goal was to have the gauge restored. Mine sat outside for quite sometime I bet, and the gauges are all faded and sunburned, and the foam surrounding has turned brittle. I contacted a few places that I found on the web, but I was wondering if folks here have recommendations for the service. I will greatly appreciate your input.
Thanks!

·
Señor Member
8,080 Posts
Even though my bike has always been garaged the needles on my gauges were faded to where they could hardly been seen in daylight. I took mine apart myself by carefully, as much as possible, prying the bezel from the housing. After painting the needles, and replacing the cracked speedo glass, I recrimped the bezel. I also had to replace the deteriorated foam surround.
12.JPG
13.JPG
16.JPG
12.JPG 13.JPG 16.JPG 17.JPG
19.jpg
21.jpg 12.JPG 13.JPG 16.JPG 17.JPG 19.jpg 21.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is awesome. Could you tell me how you replaced the foam surround? Did you find the part, or did you have to make one, and if you did, what did you use?

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Even though my bike has always been garaged the needles on my gauges were faded to where they could hardly been seen in daylight. I took mine apart myself by carefully, as much as possible, prying the bezel from the housing. After painting the needles, and replacing the cracked speedo glass, I recrimped the bezel. I also had to replace the deteriorated foam surround.
Really nice work...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Excellent work.
Can you fill us in on more of the details?

·
Señor Member
8,080 Posts
The foam surround I found on line for fairly cheap. As for the work to repaint the needles, I used the smallest screwdriver I have to pry the lip of the bezel away from the housing. It did leave some marks around the edge but I wasn't concerned too much with that as that part is on the underside and wouldn't be seen. I then used modeling paint to touch up the needles. The one thing I couldn't paint was the 55 MPH mark. I replaced the cracked speedo glass but mistakenly used clear glass, found out after that it should be a bit frosted so that it doesn't reflect glare. To keep the bezel in place I clamped the gauge with the bezel in place and lightly tapped the lip with a mallet and drift till it was completely clamped in place. It's not as daunting a task as it may look.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The foam surround I found on line for fairly cheap. As for the work to repaint the needles, I used the smallest screwdriver I have to pry the lip of the bezel away from the housing. It did leave some marks around the edge but I wasn't concerned too much with that as that part is on the underside and wouldn't be seen. I then used modeling paint to touch up the needles. The one thing I couldn't paint was the 55 MPH mark. I replaced the cracked speedo glass but mistakenly used clear glass, found out after that it should be a bit frosted so that it doesn't reflect glare. To keep the bezel in place I clamped the gauge with the bezel in place and lightly tapped the lip with a mallet and drift till it was completely clamped in place. It's not as daunting a task as it may look.
Thanks for the info. I'm actually following your footsteps right now! I just need to find the replacement foam surround...the worst case scenario, I'd have to make one.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's a travesty that you have to fix these gauges even though they are essentially new - my 916 has similar issues.

Of course, the gauges on my 1971 BMW 750, the 75 R90S and my 83 R100S continue to look new and to function similarly,

·
Registered
687 Posts
Dash foam is a Ducati part # 408 1006 1A. Re-did my gauges like redpato, with black needles...
glad to do your gauges....

Fred
20200205_164756.jpg

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the part number!
I’ll post the pics tomorrow. I just painted the hands, and this is so good, it’s one of the most satisfying things I’ve done to a bike! This is oddly so much fun!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looked like this:

Then I got inspired by redpato, so big big thanks!

I'm still looking for the foam surround to replace. Waiting to hear back from Ducati Omaha.

·
Registered
687 Posts
another topic in Ducati Chat, Sep 20, 2018, Faded guage needles, describes this prior to this discusssion....

Fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts