Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 899 Panigale, 2006 Paul Smart
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a contact for someone who can replace the glass in a cracked gauge? The crack is parallel to and just above the needle.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
May I suggest if you can’t find someone that works on Ducati gauges, find someone who works on Smiths, like Nisonger, ( NY I think) because they have knowledge and tools to do the job without damage. Hemmings is a good source for repair and rebuild of things like this.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had my Norton gauges rebuilt by a member of our local Norton club. His name is Scott his company is Smiths Magnetic Instrument Repair and he's in Arlington Heights, IL. He is a former avialtion mechanic, very meticulous and he did an excellent job on my Smiths clocks. He might be able to help you out. Contact is [email protected] or 224-595-2037. He's a good guy.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I redid one of the lenses on mine as it cracked the same as yours. It's a giant pain in the butt to replace as it's plastic and not real glass. The plastic is bonded to the body of the gauge and I had to grind the entire lens out with a dremel. There have been a couple people over the years on the forum with this issue if you search it. I unfortunately don't have any pictures of mine when they where apart but can say it's not a fun job and hope my other side never cracks. I had picked up a couple of acrylic disks on ebay to use as the new lens. The 85 x 3mm ones fit fairly well. Transparent 3mm thick Mirror Acrylic round Disc Diámetro:85mm T7F5 | eBay

·
Registered
168 Posts
I redid one of the lenses on mine as it cracked the same as yours. It's a giant pain in the butt to replace as it's plastic and not real glass. The plastic is bonded to the body of the gauge and I had to grind the entire lens out with a dremel. There have been a couple people over the years on the forum with this issue if you search it. I unfortunately don't have any pictures of mine when they where apart but can say it's not a fun job and hope my other side never cracks. I had picked up a couple of acrylic disks on ebay to use as the new lens. The 85 x 3mm ones fit fairly well. Transparent 3mm thick Mirror Acrylic round Disc Diámetro:85mm T7F5 | eBay
I was wondering about the material or if it is a scratch not a crack, glass does not start a crack in the middle. Cracks in class always start at an edge or keep running to one edge if sufficient force is applied in the middle, plastic can crack from the middle. If you are able to get the cover off buying acrylic or polycarbonate as a cut circle is easy anywhere these days, but make sure the dedgeds are flame polished it takes out the stresses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alright, I had to Frankenstein 3 different clusters together to get one working gauge cluster for my Sport 1000. But all three sets of glass had various amounts of fractures, scratches and cracks. So I dismantled two of the front sets of covers. Getting the “glass” was easy for one of the four circles. The other three circles of plastic are glued in place. I broke out as much I could. Tried Dremmel, it was painful. Is there a chemical that loosen the super glue used by company.

Thanks,
Sebouh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts