Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I hear airplanes
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the dimensions? My stock one expanded as soon as I popped off the cap (to refurbish the tank). Dealer doesn't have one and wont for at least a week....

If I had the correct dimensions it's a day away. I could measure the cap itself, but I have no idea what tolerances an oring typically is....

-Theo

·
Registered
57 Posts
O-ring

Are you looking for the green o-ring or the black cap seal?
If it's the black seal that you need, I have one, i can mail it to you in the morning. Let me know, Jef

·
I hear airplanes
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both really...

Mine isn't bad per se, but it is 18 years old so I figured I'd just replace it since I'm refinishing this tank (damn Kreem failed!) new paint, blah blah.

Would be great if you have a new one!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Put it in the oven for a bit, it will dry out and go back to normal size. ;)

Used to do the same with my 400/4 carb float gaskets :D

·
I hear airplanes
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try that!

Measuring up the lid, I get 4.521" total diameter, with a groove that is .116" deep. Minor math tells me a 4.268" ID Oring (4-1/4" I'd guess) will work. My Oring is .146" or 3.7mm in diameter.

Closest McMaster Carr had was 4.250" ID 4.650" OD and 1.87 (3/16") thick. It's a decent bit thicker, but the groove is pretty wide and I'm thinking there is room to squish down.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Black cap/tank seal

PM me your address, I'll mail out the seal in the morning.

·
I hear airplanes
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys rock, thanks!!!!

sent from my jitterbug

·
Registered
164 Posts
Put it in the oven for a bit, it will dry out and go back to normal size. ;)

Used to do the same with my 400/4 carb float gaskets :D

To keep it from drying out try boiling it for ten minutes in water.

·
Registered
198 Posts
When i changed my fuel filter the Rubber seal & green gasket/O-ring were a bit floppy & dried out..so i cleaned them up & rubbed in some red rubber grease into the fittings as well as the rubbers...sorta massaged it all back together & it squished it back in & sealed perfectly...makes fitting that pesky top Rubber a breeze also...Just pops in & you can slip slide the filler cap around etc & orientate it easily..

·
Registered
38 Posts
That green rubber is fluoroelastomer (Viton). Do not use a neoprene seal, it will leak, because it will swell and crumble. Stick with a stock item, or fluoroelastomer equivalent.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

1 - 12 of 12 Posts