Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '06 Sport 1000 I am working on a build. I am working with the ideas around the new paint job...but I'm concerned about the tank and "swelling" issues. I am not the original owner and got it from a dealer, so no way of know if it's the original tank or if it was ever "coated" to protect it.

I don't want to do all this work and spend the money if there could be issues down the road!
So, I was thinking of trying to see if I can find a replacement tank in some way that was treated prior.

...a couple of questions/details.
- I need it to be the stock gas cap layout since I designed and built a cool new cap for it.

- What fits my bike....
- I thought the PS one was the same, but it seems to not have the ignition cut out on the front?!
- I assume the GT is a different tank...correct?
- If it has to be just a Sport 1000 version, what years will work?

- Are there other things I need to consider around this?

Thanks in advance, Tim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes the GT and the SC tanks are different and the seat cannot be mixed betwixt the two. Mind sharing what you designed for the gas cap?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the GT and the SC tanks are different and the seat cannot be mixed betwixt the two. Mind sharing what you designed for the gas cap?
And is the Paul Smart one different? ....and if it has to be only a SC, what years can I look at?
...here is the cap/cover I created.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Check part numbers on Ducati Omaha.

But I believe there are only 2 tanks. Gt and Sport/ps.

I believe that the tanks can go on either frame...cuz I've seen a sported GT at some point.

And I do not think the years matter at all mate. A sport tank is a sport tank. They all swell if not coated.

There are aftermarket aluminum tanks about as well

Check part numbers to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check part numbers on Ducati Omaha.

But I believe there are only 2 tanks. Gt and Sport/ps.

I believe that the tanks can go on either frame...cuz I've seen a sported GT at some point.

And I do not think the years matter at all mate. A sport tank is a sport tank. They all swell if not coated.

There are aftermarket aluminum tanks about as well

Check part numbers to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
But I think the PS is different too...I saw this tank on ebay and noticed that the front of the tank didn't have the rounded cut out for the ignition!? ....see attached (red is mine)
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 5.26.04 PM.png
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600_2.jpg

·
Registered
127 Posts
And is the Paul Smart one different? ....and if it has to be only a SC, what years can I look at?
...here is the cap/cover I created.
Very interesting design did you make that all on your own from scratch?

Yea the Sport1000 are interchangeable between years but from the looks of it the PS/Sport1000s are unique due to the fairing and the damper that comes stock. But the best way to make sure would look at the part numbers between your bike and the one you want to purchase.

·
Registered
831 Posts

The Paul Smart (2006) and 1000s (2007-09) tanks don't have the cut-out for the key. As you can see in the picture above, it is located in front of the triple tree. They also have the little velcro discs on the bottom sides of the tank where the little side fairings are attached.

Depending on where you live....best thing to do is to try to not put any ethanol in the tank or at least try not to leave it in for very long. Some people have had success with taking the tank off and strapping it down and a few months later have had the tank go back to normal.

Nice looking gas cap. Kind of has a steam punk/60's race car vibe to it.

I have a '06 Sport 1000 I am working on a build. I am working with the ideas around the new paint job...but I'm concerned about the tank and "swelling" issues. I am not the original owner and got it from a dealer, so no way of know if it's the original tank or if it was ever "coated" to protect it.

I don't want to do all this work and spend the money if there could be issues down the road!
So, I was thinking of trying to see if I can find a replacement tank in some way that was treated prior.

...a couple of questions/details.
- I need it to be the stock gas cap layout since I designed and built a cool new cap for it.

- What fits my bike....
- I thought the PS one was the same, but it seems to not have the ignition cut out on the front?!
- I assume the GT is a different tank...correct?
- If it has to be just a Sport 1000 version, what years will work?

- Are there other things I need to consider around this?

Thanks in advance, Tim

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. And if the GT is a different tank...I am stuck to a specific Sport1000 tank then for a replacement options. I have to look up how many years that tank stayed the same from '06 on...

Thanks, on the cap...it started as a vitage race feel...the added some "speed hole" details...and ya, kind of in the Steampunk vibe....taking a "deco" type vibe...also working on some tank badges incorporating our logo (see attached is a sandcast version and looking at a CNC version).

...anyone with a line on a replacement tank, reach out to me.

View attachment 977610

The Paul Smart (2006) and 1000s (2007-09) tanks don't have the cut-out for the key. As you can see in the picture above, it is located in front of the triple tree. They also have the little velcro discs on the bottom sides of the tank where the little side fairings are attached.

Depending on where you live....best thing to do is to try to not put any ethanol in the tank or at least try not to leave it in for very long. Some people have had success with taking the tank off and strapping it down and a few months later have had the tank go back to normal.

Nice looking gas cap. Kind of has a steam punk/60's race car vibe to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
Here is the admittedly not inexpensive but probably much better option than an unknown used stock S1K tank that WILL eventually become problematic. Better material. Lighter weight. Holds more fuel. Easily repaired. Won't distort or swell up from our stupidly mandated corn fortified "gas". I personally took the alloy tank road for the same reasons above.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't believe he would be able to use his gas cap with this tank but you most likely wouldn't have to worry about any warping/distorting issues...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't believe he would be able to use his gas cap with this tank but you most likely wouldn't have to worry about any warping/distorting issues...
Ya, I saw this and there are some aluminum ones floating around...forgetting that they are super expensive...but unfortunately, they all shift to the more Sportbike type cap set-up and selfishly spent too much time and have love for the new cap cover! :)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Here is the admittedly not inexpensive but probably much better option than an unknown used stock S1K tank that WILL eventually become problematic. Better material. Lighter weight. Holds more fuel. Easily repaired. Won't distort or swell up from our stupidly mandated corn fortified "gas". I personally took the alloy tank road for the same reasons above.

I have an ETI Sport Classic tank and ETI recommends that their tanks be coated on the inside. There is a thread in Ducati.ms that documents the tanks leaking around their seams and ruining paint jobs.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have an ETI Sport Classic tank and ETI recommends that their tanks be coated on the inside. There is a thread in Ducati.ms that documents the tanks leaking around their seams and ruining paint jobs.
Well then it appears my decision to go with the alloy tank was the proper choice. And since it's polished instead of painted no worries about ruined paint if it ever does leak.

And ethanol laced gas sucks. It's nothing but a government mandated subsidy for Iowa corn farmers that causes more pollution in production than it saves when it's used as a "fuel".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts