Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious about the compatibility of year of tanks are? and is there a difference in tanks that are fuel injected and carbureted bikes? I have a 99 so would a say 2000 or 01 tank work?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
... aren't some older Monster tanks steel and newer ones made of that poly-crap?

Y'know, plastic that swells, spreads, and is generally just an embarrassment to what is supposed to be a "high end motorcycle manufacturer"... or something?

So there's that.

You can look on eBay at the different model year tanks to get some idea of the differences ... maybe?

:|

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
the parts catalogue is a bit wacky on tanks - they're listing the same # up to 2001 on carb bikes, but there is a definite change that i thought was 1999, but the seat part number change is pre 2000 and 2000 on and that's possibly more accurate. seat and tank match.

all tanks pre 2000 should be the same i think, and the later tank varies where the seat sides sit (quite different) and also they're different at the front i think - i'm sure we tried fitting a tank to a carby m600 dark and it was wrong around the ignition switch/hold down somehow. don't recall.

efi and carb tanks year to year should swap in terms of fitment - i have an m900ie tank i'm going to fit to a 2000 m400 just because i got it complete and can make it work. carb tanks won't work on efi bikes.

parts catalogue shows a red m900ie tank is the same as s4, s4r, 400, 620, 800 so there's obviously no difference in under tank shape 2v to 4v.

and i know you can fit a late plastic tank to an earlier steel tank m620 with the right mount, etc.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Belter, as I’m not familiar with all those models would you clarify: Are there any metal tanks from another model that would fit my S4RS ?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Ok. After reading through all of this it seems 2002 -2007 steel tank should fit ‘07 S4RS ? Am I correct ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts