Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I have a problem that hopefully someone can shead some light on.
I have a 2001 996 biposto. I went to start it today, and it gave me a slight problem for the first time. When it started, there was a buzzing sound coming out of the gas cap/tank area. While warming up, the bike stalled a couple times too. Is there maybe a lack of gas problem (there is gas in the tank) getting to the bike somewhere?.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Buzzing is normal but you may want to check if there is a split in the hose or a clogged gas filter.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buzzing is normal? I havent heard it like this in the past. What does the buzzing indicate?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think the only way to deal with a problem like that (I'm assuming you know that it's a problem...your bike you know what's normal) is to just take the tank off and do a little recon. You'll probably notice something out of place and then you can come back and see what people think. If you know the problem is in the tank then go in there and grab it by the balls. :D

I'm no expert but taking the tank off was not a problem. I missed the drain the first time because I was trying to figure out which hose it was... Turns out it was painted the same color as the bike and it's a little plug...and it was really in there good. I didn't have any problems with any of the hoses releasing gas when they were disconnected.

If you have problems I'm sure there is plenty of information to be had from a forum search.

·
Registered
791 Posts
ManofSteelPT said:
Buzzing is normal? I havent heard it like this in the past. What does the buzzing indicate?
i reread your post and i'm not quite sure what problem you are having now. you said it stalled(died?) while it was warming up? most of the time, my engine will die if i don't adjust my choke while warming it to 140 degrees.

the buzzing i'm referring to is your pump priming inside your gas tank. to hear this buzzing sound. open your gas cap and turn on the key without starting. you will hear the pump prime/buzz for a few seconds. if there is splashing sound from the gas, most likely you have a split hose, loose hose, or clogged fuel filter.

again, please re-explain the issue you are having and we all can help diagnose your problems.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Note on the "splashing noise" from the previous post: There's an air-separator in the fuel pump circuit. It emits bubbles and a minor flow of petrol when the pump is running. At lower tank levels, you'll hear/see this with the lid open.

If you hear a WHOOSH, (and see some violent flow, that's when the line is split. If you're lucky, it won't squirt you in the eye when the lid is up. VIEW and listen WITH CAUTION.

Another note: the pump RUNS while the engine is running. It primes for a second or 2 when the key is 1st turned on. You need between 30 to 50 PSI at the injectors to make the FI system work. Maybe lower on the newer "shower head" injections on the SBKs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts